Bench coverings

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Graysalchemy

Bench coverings

Post by Graysalchemy »

Well I normally use carpet off cuts on my benches, though in general they are friendly to a piece of glass or an upturned frame, I find they are hard to clean, bits get stuck in them. So I was looking at the lions rubber matting. Well I don't like using Lion and its not wide enough only 36" , anyhow I have found the same stuff but wider here. Anyone use ribbed matting? or have any other suggestions.
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Re: Bench coverings

Post by A3DFramer »

I used to use Flotex for glass cutting and handling. I do not know what the pros and cons of a busy picture framing workflow might be but in the fabrication of glass cases it actively allowed for quicker procedures.

Just before I retired I demonstrated a method of case making to a successful framing company, on follow up I found they had altered the method I had demonstrated. The reason was the surface they worked on. My original method had been designed to process 100 units a day, however as this framing workshop only work in single units, their modified method was satisfactory for their needs.

I did frame pictures as a side line to case making, and flotex worked well except when some idiot used a stanley knife on it and that became expensive.
prospero

Post by prospero »

For benches where you are working on frames face-down I would always go for carpet. I use short pile 'kitchen' type carpet. Never had problems cleaning it as long as you don't spill liquids/glues on it. Now and again I hoover it or simply get a balled-up handfull of tape and scrub it over. Gets all the cat hairs off. :P Ordinary looped pile carpet gathers muck as as AG observes are a pain to clean. It's worth buying a piece of the right carpet off the roll rather than try to use a cheap remnant of thick stuff.
Don't get one with a bright colour or a jazzy pattern. Under bright overhead lights it is very hard on the eyeballs. :shock:

Cutting mats or sheets of card are OK, but never put frames face-down on them. They are more abrasive than they seem. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
yorkframing
Organisation: York Framing Studio
Interests: Photography & Astronomy

Post by yorkframing »

I use a large towel, one that's no longer needed at home.
Its soft enough and easy to take outside and shake to get any bits off.
When its looking tatty, I just get another one, the wife always likes an excuse to buy new towels so I have the old ones :clap:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Unfortunately my smallest bench is 8ft x 4 ft and one is 1m x 3.3m I doubt I will find a man size towel that big :giggle:
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

We use the black rubber mat, I think it came from Wessex, we also have 8x4 benches. It works fine but we found that white and light coloured frames could get black marks from the mat, not always but enough to be a problem. Thought it might have been a reaction with the glass cleaner?? We now put the paper interleaves, usually from uv glass, on the bench and work on that. The rubber mat definitely gives the surface a bit of cushion, a 'soft' surface to work on.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Ah I didn't think of the marks. Just finished framing some white frames as well.
yorkframing
Organisation: York Framing Studio
Interests: Photography & Astronomy

Post by yorkframing »

Unfortunately my smallest bench is 8ft x 4 ft and one is 1m x 3.3m I doubt I will find a man size towel that big
That's easy to fix, just chop your bench down :clap:

I have a large towel where I finish the frames but if its a large frame, I just use 2 towels.
prospero

Post by prospero »

:idea: If you shop at LDL's, watch out in the bargain bins. I got two rolls of green 'conservatory carpet about 1m x2m for 3 quids each. They are very handy for making temporary bench coverings. When you are not using them you can simply roll them up. You can also chuck them on the floor and hoover them.

* Oh and also in LDL's, watch out for jumbo rolls of kitchen paper. Huge things for 2 quids each. Good stuff. Like all things at LDL's you got to be there on the right day, but next time they have the big rolls I'm going to get a trolleyfull. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

LDL?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

yorkframing Said :

"That's easy to fix, just chop your bench down :clap:"

If I did that I would have to chop the frames I work on down as well :giggle: :giggle:

Sometimes I need two 8ft x 4 ft benches butted together. :D
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I use the Lion black ribbed rubber mat for our glass cleaning bench and have a wooden rug (was used by my wife to lie under in the final relaxing bit at yoga) folded in half on our final assembly bench. When I first started at home I just had the black mat on the dinning room table and it could leave marks on white and hand painted frames so I would not recommend it for face down work, but it is great with the glass, which I used to hand cut in those days and it as great at absorbing tiny splinters.

For the assembly bench I need to replace the rug, I was thinking that the carpet route might be best, but was also going to look into the possibility of some sort of soft cushion type flooring. As a matter of interest, when using carpet do you stick it down?
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We tried the black ribbed stuff from Lions and rejected it after a week. It not only left marks on pale coloured and painted finish frames, but we found it left a ghosting mark on glass too. We use vinyl covering on our benches which is gently cushioned and hard wearing and cardboard offcut sheets from the boxes the mountboard is delivered in if we need extra covering on it. We used carpet back when we started and the vinyl is a big improvement on that. Easy to keep clean and less likely to snag bits in like carpet did on occasion.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I like the idea of the ribed mats as they can be brushed clean but also the ribs will keep debris away. However if they are going to make frames then this is a big no no.

Vinyl may be an option then. :D
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Just requested a sample of some white vinyl flouring cushioned. :D
Whitewater Gallery

Graysalchemy please post your thoughts on your sample when you have it.

We have a dedicated glass cleaning bench and the black ribbed mat works really well. We only use AR glass and I have not noticed any ghosting marks on it. Another advantage of the mat for me is that the HGP360 is hidden under the hinged top so I can roll the mat up, to reduce the weight, and put it to one side before performing the bench press required to lift the lid!

The finishing bench is also used for assembling our canvas prints so I am nervous of carpet hiding staples in it, or at least not making them obvious, so hence the cushion vinyl thoughts. Also I guess will harbour less dust than carpet.

I invested in a cordless Dyson which works a treat on the ribbed mat.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

That's my problem staples and debris getting hide in the pile of the carpet. Carpet backing tends to disintegrate when ever I take them of there is a layer of sand like material.

I have found one which would be about £20.00 to cover a bench so not bad if it is any good. I have 6 benches to cover plus of cuts can be used on the 3 smaller benches around the machinery. I would also prefer white so as j can see flumps in the frame before the artwork goes in.
Whitewater Gallery

There is allot riding on this sample! I look forward to hearing your thoughts. :D
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I never thought of a white bench covering before, it makes perfect sense, thank you Alistair genius!
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

I use cutting Mats and then have a roll of underlay for wood floorings which I use when putting together frames. Soft, easy to shake out and the glass does not slip.