Spraying Frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Spraying Frames

Post by GeoSpectrum »

After trying out some can spray I'm convinced that spray painting some of my frames is the way to go. However as I'm working out of a single room workshop I have no space for a spray room so im thinking of a getting a small shed dedicated to the propose. Has anyone tried this? Any hints and tips? I'm looking for a basic HVLP spray system to get started, any recommendations?

thanks.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Re: Spraying Frames

Post by Framerpicture »

I'd suggest that you get a spray booth with extraction if you can find one to fit, or you could make your own. A big fan pulling through a paper filter would work equally well. Its amazing how much overspray you get in time.
The other thing is drying racks, and if your doing all your prep in there as well there's going to be a lot of dust. We use an air cleaner to try and combat this.
We did try HLVP spray guns that come with there own compressors in the past, but if you've got air near by you'll have far more control with a traditional type gun. HVLP spray guns don't need massive compressors, although you will need a water trap and good spray guns can be obtained relatively cheaply these days.
The other useful thing to consider is a turntable to put the frame on when its being sprayed.
If your doing many painted frames a dedicated spray booth will transform you work flow - Good luck :D
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
louisesimon
Organisation: Peckham Pictures (closed)
Interests: Framing, Art, Photography

Post by louisesimon »

I can recommend Mylands for paint for a HVLP, I use there water based enamel ready mixed to the right consistency for spraying. I use the Fuji Q4 gold HVLP, can't give a balanced review as it's the only spray system I've used, but I find it faultless.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

How much space would you say I would need for a spray arrangement? I'm considering a shed in the garden (lots of space) or possibly dividing a current outbuilding into two (not very much space)
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

I thought of a good system which I never got around to implementing.... :roll:

You can get a decent spray gun for not a lot of cash. If you have a compressor you are most of the way there. I personally don't like the gravity feed guns as I find them awkward to manipulate. A gun with the reservoir underneath would be my weapon of choice. Now the clever bit... If you were to get a number of spare reservoirs you could remove the res after you have finished and put clingfilm over the top and it's ready for next time. To flush the gun out you have a res filled with a solvent, which may be water/thinners, depending on whatever paint you are using. This would save a lot of time and paint. No need to clean the reservoir out when changing paints, just remove the res, clamp on a res full of water (or whatever) and blow it though. Clamp on the res with new colour and away you go. I think if I were using both water and oil based paints I would have a separate gun for each one.

I've seen peeps on TV spraying machine parts and suchlike and rather than putting the work on a table and spraying from above they have the parts suspended from hooks the go over a rail. I'm thinking frames would be easier to spray vertically if you see what I mean. You can simply rotate them to do the sides. The rail system allows you to slide them along to get a swift throughput of work. All you need is some chain and some butcher's hooks. :) It would also save a lot of space.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About