West Coast Art Frame show - Las Vegas Jan 2016

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

West Coast Art Frame show - Las Vegas Jan 2016

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Anyone going ?

http://www.cvent.com/d/U2iQWPU-mEmf8W0R ... vkk2/P1/1Q?

Ive been a few times and its by far the best show in the world for framers
Over 100 seminars covering absolutely everything a framer needs to know.

Cost me about £1000 in total.- flights , 4 nights hotel and F&B. I book with http://www.expedia.com or similar
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Teresa
Organisation: The Frameworks
Interests: good food, good wine, good friends, travel, live music,

Re: West Coast Art Frame show - Las Vegas Jan 2016

Post by Teresa »

Why on earth don't we have a show like that in Europe !
22rabbits
Organisation: myown
Interests: framing

Post by 22rabbits »

Teresa wrote:Why on earth don't we have a show like that in Europe !
plus one on that :)
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Because not enough of us get excited enough to go :(
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Europe or UK?

WCAF is sponsored by Picture Framing Magazine and the PPFA's show in the USA is also a good one. What we don't have in common with them is a magazine or a trade body for framers only, or even with the word 'frame ......' in - or the numbers.

Plus the shows that we did have, as good as they were in their day, was in a location that wasn't QUITE as sexy as Las Vegas (like, it's a big grey character-less DUMP!)and the main event was held in Winter! They never latched on to the benefits of seminars and workshops, they were toyed with towards the end but by then it was grasping straws.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

IFGL wrote:Because not enough of us get excited enough to go :(
Possibly quite true. For all the years that I demonstrated, attended and taught at the Spring Fair, I noticed that there was always a dedicated group of individuals who would attend regardless of the scope of the trade fair - they knew that it needed to be part of their regime for operating their business.

The closest that I have seen to a real "Passion Group" of framers might be those from the Rammebransjeforbundet i Norge (Norwegian Framers Association) who organize a group trip to the Italian show... recognizing it from the old days as the premier event in Europe. One observation is that they would not only walk the show, but discussed their finding socially afterwards. Having a social element to shows is a great tool to bring like souls together. :rock: BTW - some of these Norwegian framers are FATG members as well.

Roboframer wrote:Europe or UK?

WCAF is sponsored by Picture Framing Magazine and the PPFA's show in the USA is also a good one. What we don't have in common with them is a magazine or a trade body for framers only, or even with the word 'frame ......' in - or the numbers.
Actually the PPFA Convention has been incorporated to run concurrently with the WCAF Show for the past 3 years. As the owners of WCAF/Picture Framing Magazine are also the new owners of PPFA's management company, it looks likely that this relationship will continue for many years.
Roboframer wrote: ...Plus the shows that we did have, as good as they were in their day, was in a location that wasn't QUITE as sexy as Las Vegas (like, it's a big grey character-less DUMP!)and the main event was held in Winter!
Actually Robo... the WCAF Show has always been held in Winter in the U.S....REAL Winter when parts of the East, Midwest and Rockies can get hammered with snow and difficult weather... still regardless of the time of year, if an event offers benefits then people will always find a way to attend. "Sexy Location" perhaps... Keep in mind that perhaps at least half would prefer it held somewhere else. :wink: I am in that camp, and not a Vegas fan. It's a 4-5 hour flight for over half of the U.S. population... not really inexpensive unless you get clever... (Keith is good at that) and some of us really don't like the bling!

The Spring Fair is actually easier to attend in the UK due to the fact that you had the airport and rail service (something that doesn't exist to this degree in the U.S.) For Brits, a train ride in with the newspaper or laptop would have been "a piece of cake!" Granted...adding some additional hotels and dining around the perimeter of the NEC would certainly be nice, but then it would become something different.
Roboframer wrote:They never latched on to the benefits of seminars and workshops, they were toyed with towards the end but by then it was grasping straws.
Here you are spot on Robo... WCAF began with education on it's agenda from it's inception and for many reasons, this is one of the main reasons it succeeds. The Russian show has had a fair amount of education and attracted big numbers, but it might have been the only show where I saw this succeed. The Italian show, German show and the Spring Fair all "played" with education, with varied success. My personal opinion is that it needs to be structured and priced as it has value. When offered Free on the trade floor, it is worth only that. Yes it did attract some decent numbers of attendees, but to your point (Robo)) it should have been started years before. :Slap:

Trade shows have been a dying breed for awhile now, in many other industries... hardware, photo, and others. When the industry has lots of new items to see and examine (like Gifts or Electronics) the crowds have been sustained, but with Picture framing for the most part it is the knowledge that is new and changing and needs to be examined personally - hence the success of Seminars and Workshops at trade fairs when offered.

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Keith Hewitt wrote:Anyone going ? I've been a few times and its by far the best show in the world for framers
Over 100 seminars covering absolutely everything a framer needs to know.

Cost me about £1000 in total.- flights , 4 nights hotel and F&B. I book with http://www.expedia.com or similar
Over the years, I've seen a good number of International visitors attend the WCAF Show. Framers from Russian, Norway, Finland, England and I agree, it is worthwhile Keith.

It is obviously not going to be an annual trip for most, but one thing for sure, if you do attend, do spend the whole 4-5 days! :clap:

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Any Chinese manufacturers of mouldings, swept frames, mount board, Mdf backing, ready made frames, machinery at the show?
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

KWIK
I just looked at the list of exhibitors and none listed
There maybe some there walking the show seeing what they can take home to copy :roll:
2 Chinese mat board factories have closed in the last couple of months - shows how bad the market has been for them.
Keith Hewitt
Kwik Picture Framing

Really Keith? That's bad did you ever go to the China framing show in yiwu?
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Kwik Picture Framing wrote:Any Chinese manufacturers of mouldings, swept frames, mount board, Mdf backing, ready made frames, machinery at the show?
Not quite sure what you are asking Kwik? Are you seeking Chinese manufacturers or just wondering if they exibit at the WCAF Show?

The WCAF Show is the largest in the world at the moment, so you will find suppliers and manufacturers of matboard, ready-made frames, and every major manufacturer of equipment exhibiting, none that I am aware from China - Is this what you are seeking? If so I might advise attending the AFA Expo in Bejing at the end of March 2016. I will be demonstrating Fletcher-Terry equipment at that show (working with Larson-Juhl) and have been asked to present at least one seminar.

Otherwise the list of exhibitors at the West Coast Art & Frame Expo can be found on their website.

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
Kwik Picture Framing

Yes we are looking for direct source of manufacturers mainly
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Kwik Picture Framing wrote:Yes we are looking for direct source of manufacturers mainly
We are contacted via Email constantly by Chinese manufacturers for moulding and gift products, simply because our website is highly optimized. So I would think that if your website is positioned well, you should be receiving the same solicitations if that is what you are seeking.

Otherwise, the Italian show historically has had the largest number of Asian manufacturers actually exhibiting. They are mostly looking for distribution channels in Europe... Obviously it takes a good container load of product to make it worthwhile for importing directly from Asia if you are looking at frame moulding. :shock: Typically if you are a large volume user, you can work out pricing deals with quantity with local and regional suppliers that can be more effective and less headaches. :Slap:

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Back to the subject of discussion... :)
Teresa wrote:Why on earth don't we have a show like that in Europe !
Teresa,

I believe that the reason has everything to do with how the WCAF Expo first positioned itself among the other shows at the time... the dedicated themselves to the Educational aspects of the industry. When it was first launched WCAF had to compete with a PPFA Convention Show and Frame-O-Rama / Art Expo NY as well as Decor Expo Atlanta, so rather than attempt to entice the manufacturers and distributors to exhibit, they went heavy on educational seminars and the trade show was the secondary element... by the second year, the vendors increased and by the third year it was the largest show in the Industry.

As trade shows declined and completely disappeared in some industries, this show has survived and is huge, due largely to the organizers having an understanding of the nature of our industry.

European shows for the most part have not embraced the educational aspects of our industry as an integral part of their plans, although some have done so in a minor way. The Spring Fair is primarily a Gift Fair, hence the TPS organizers wouldn't see the value of paid education and by the time the FATG attempted to add this element...it was already in decline.

That's just my humble opinion on the Why. :giggle: BTW - Those other U.S. Shows/Fairs are all finished with WCAF the only surviving industry framing show.

P.S. I have seen a number of UK & Irish framers at WCAF.. I wonder if any others besides Keith are on this forum?

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Keith's comment on cost won't be far adrift, the website link offers hotel rooms from $104 / night for up to 4. is there any preview of what course are available, do they involve fees, are any available as post show downloads, is there stuff there that will set your offer miles beyond the norm, that sort of thing.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

that website link Keith offered is really good value and well worth a look, but can someone just cover the content side of my previous email please.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Trinity wrote:Keith's comment on cost won't be far adrift, the website link offers hotel rooms from $104 / night for up to 4. is there any preview of what course are available, do they involve fees, are any available as post show downloads, is there stuff there that will set your offer miles beyond the norm, that sort of thing.
Trinity,

If you pre-register, it is FREE and you will automatically receive email updates when the entire educational agenda is put together. (The organizers are putting this together at the moment) In fact I received a phone call just today confirming my classes and time slots. :) Some classes will start on Sunday 24 January with the majority on Mon-Wed 25-27 January.

In 2015 there were about 100 educational sessions offered.

Some programs are Free, while most have a fee involved. However they also offer Package Deals

When the seminar offerings do appear on their website, you will be able to sort by Day / Instructor / Area of Interest. This little video clip might give you an idea of the scope of classes offered...

https://youtu.be/eAxaFjpR2rY

Regards,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

great, and thanks John.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

John Ranes II, CPF, GCF wrote: I have seen a number of UK & Irish framers at WCAF.. I wonder if any others besides Keith are on this forum?
Me!

2009 - I totally screwed it up though, I really wanted Jim Miller's practical workshop but to do that you had to do the theory talk first. I can't remember the ins and outs but I couldn't do the talk AND a certain all day canyon tour, so I did other seminars.

Later someone asked me why I just didn't book and pay for the talk and pull a sickie! That, being a totally straight and honest type of geezer, never entered my head.

At least one other forum member has done WCAF - "A few more words" (Tom) went this year - excellent write-up here
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Trinity wrote:that website link Keith offered is really good value and well worth a look, but can someone just cover the content side of my previous email please.
Ive been to this show 5 times and done much research on travel cost. Its cheaper to book the flights and hotel at the same time, using expedia, opodo, netflights, or any other booking site. In 2015 I used expedia and got the cost down to £751. But do stay at Paris Hotel - same hotel as the show. Its just so much more convenient. You will see other hotels saving maybe up to £100 on the total, but then you have the hassle of walking far or taxis, or using the overhead railway. Now if you want to treat yourself stay across the road at the one with the fountains - Bellagio.

Don't book your hotel through WCAF show link. If you do you will then have pay a lot more for your flights when you have to buy them separately.

I wrote an article all about the seminars, in an attempt to persuade show organisers in Europe to copy the WCAF show concept. If anyone wants to read it send me an email. keith@keithhewitt.co.uk Suppose I should put it on my website.
Keith Hewitt