Colouring a Bevel Edge

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Colouring a Bevel Edge

Post by joh5nny »

I'm sure this is a pretty basic question, but I've been asked by a customer to colour the bevel edge of a mount. I think I know the methodology for doing it, but what's the best thing to use for the colouring. Is it simply acrylic paint, or would you suggest something else?
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Re: Colouring a Bevel Edge

Post by David »

I use acrylic most of the time, sometimes gold or silver paste. Try not to use too much water, the wetter it is the more likely it is to bleed into the board fibres. Make sure you don't have any over cuts as the paint can run down the cut. I'm assuming you are going to use the 3M 810 removable tape for masking the surface paper.

David.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

811 (blue box) is the removable one.
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

I knew that! Use the 811! And press down around the top of the bevel to make sure you get a good seal.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Do you put the tape on before cutting the bevel so it's guaranteed to go perfectly up to the edge?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Absolutely - cut through the tape, aiming to leave as little as possible of it on the fallout (so you don't have to be too careful with the brush)
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Post by joh5nny »

Thanks everyone. Suppose I could have done a couple of tests, but in the interests of saving a bit of time, I thought I'd ask! Like the idea of using gold paste, so I think I might go with that in the first instance and see how I get on. Thanks all.