How do I cure my wobbles?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

How do I cure my wobbles?

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

We have problems with about 20% of my framed photos getting the wobbles! I use a 310gsm Baryta paper hoping that a heavy paper would stop this but it has not really made a difference.
2015-11-20-11.41.56.jpg
2015-11-20-11.41.56.jpg (271.67 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
2015-11-20-11.39.jpg
2015-11-20-11.39.jpg (321.82 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
This photo only measures 290 x 180mm.

Are we doing something wrong or is it just something we have to accept unless we turn to the Hotpress?
Roboframer

Re: How do I cure my wobbles?

Post by Roboframer »

If they're your own why not dry mount them?

Your hinges are all wrong - too close together and too far in from the sides, plus too wide really. How much goes over the paper? About 3-5mm is all you need.

Brown tape hinging the mount/undermount is baaaaaaaad!

prospero

Post by prospero »

Nasty. :?

How soon do you hinge the prints after you print them? Maybe the moisture content of the paper is less than the surrounding atmosphere.

Try leaving them a day or two to normalise and see if that makes a difference. Or you could use edge strips rather than hinges to give them a bit of jiggle room.

What tape are you using for hinges btw? It looks a tad hefty to me. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Whitewater Gallery

Thanks for the quick responses guys!
Your hinges are all wrong - too close together and too far in from the sides, plus too wide really.
Initially reading this I was confused - but do you mean the hinge tape is too wide?

I did not put this one together, I usually aim to have greater distance between the hinges than from the edge to the hinge, would you be wider still?
Brown tape hinging the mount/undermount is baaaaaaaad!
My only defence is that it is Sekisui tape! (and remember it is not that long ago that we were hinging onto the back of the mount!) what tape is it best to use - and as a matter of interest, as it is not touching the artwork why not use brown tape?
What tape are you using for hinges btw? It looks a tad hefty to me
Guilty, it is the same tape we use for large Giclee prints!

Unfortunately we do not always have time to leave the prints overnight, we have on numerous occasions gone from print to customer collection in an hour!

When I bought the Hotpress I had intended, as they are my own photos, to dry mount. I did a few and I was put off by the 'orange peel' effect, and also buy how easy it is to damage a print with dust particles under the silicon release paper. That said when I started laminating canvas prints in it I had quite a high failure rate but now I have the hang of it I can not remember the last one that came out with a problem so maybe with practice it would get better?
prospero

Post by prospero »

If you do things fast you often have to do things twice. :P Why not leave the blank paper out where the air can circulate around it, prior to printing.

That hinge tape looks like the ubiquitous PH7-70 stuff. Very thick and very sticky. You would be better off using it for hinging the undermount. The hinges should always be weaker than the print paper.

P-90 would be better. You only need a tiny tab on the print, but burnish it down well.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

As you have a CMC, and assuming you use the same size papers all the time, platform mounts, all saved and ready to go, would be very easy and effective.
Whitewater Gallery

Unfortunately we have customers who arrive with the car packed and ready for the journey home and then decide to buy something, if we are lucky they come in on the afternoon before they leave.

Although this is a small print it will have been printed alongside others on either a 24", 36" or 44" roll of paper so I can not really leave it out.

The hinge tape is a gummed Arcadia conservation tape, not sure which one as I ordered a box a couple of years ago thinking it was adhesive tape! Although it is a pretty heavy tape it is still probably weaker than the heavy photo paper.

Robo, up to what size print would you platform mount? I had thought about doing this, but many of our prints are 400mm to 600mm wide so was not sure if this is too big?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

There is no maximum size.
Whitewater Gallery

Sounds encouraging! One last question (I hope!) Is there a 'best practice' design for the platform mount? As I produce the print myself I can make the boarder to suit so 1cm difference between the mount and the dropout mount on the back?

Oh another question already! I have a little brass name plate (5cm x 2cm) to put in the mount. My plan is to use a bevel cut out which will overhang the plate to ensure that if the tape on the back failed it would not fall in the frame, is that a good plan. I assume beveled rather than straight cut?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

1 cm would be great and regards the plaque, yes a reverse bevel would hold it in if the adhesive failed but adding a more serious adhesive that wouldn't fail and a normal bevel aperture might look better.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Whitewater Gallery wrote:and as a matter of interest, as it is not touching the artwork why not use brown tape?
Good question. Paranoia?
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

out gassing of the tape can cause yellowing of the paper, this is a problem primarily if the paper you are using contains OBA's check on the data sheet, OBA's can break down quite quickly when the wrong materials are used.

the biggest platform mount I have used so far was 1.7m long, worked a treat :)
Whitewater Gallery

Canson rate the OBA content of this paper as very low, so hopefully this is OK.

Platform mount about to go in the frame, will try this in the future and see how it copes in our beachside location! 8)
Whitewater Gallery

....and here we have it, currently a wobble free photo in my first mount with a little plaque - and no brown tape inside!!
2015-11-20-18.05.jpg
2015-11-20-18.05.jpg (245.28 KiB) Viewed 10598 times
Thanks again for everyones help. I will be trying this on some larger photos to hang in the gallery in the next week or so, fingers crossed they will be wobble free, I will update if not!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Platform mounts rock! You don't even have to position the artwork.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

What do people use for hinging the mount /undermount I have always use licky stick or sens....
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We use this for most jobs (that we don't use platform mounts on ... and we use platform mounts a lot) https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/13368/Lion- ... x-150m-rol

That looks expensive but it's a 150m roll - it comes in smaller rolls.

For most of the rest we use a gummed 'conservation' paper tape. Gummed is better than self adhesive as it dries and self-adhesive does not, leaving a sticky spine which can cause problems.
Whitewater Gallery

Yep I see these platform mounts as the way forward, the extra time spent cutting the photo paper to size is outweighed by the lack of fiddling around to position. Thanks for the tip for the hinging tape, as a matter of interest do you glue or tape the platform mounts together, and would you use the same tape you use for hinging to secure the fallout into place?

On the Lion site it says that the tape is activated with a wet sponge, is that really the case?
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Another bit of advise....
let the hinges dry a bit before applying so that there is the minimum amount of moisture in the hinges. Moisture in the hinges equals puckering of the paper later.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Whitewater Gallery

Thanks for the hint, it could help to explain why we have had more problems since we stopped hinging with adhesive tape.