Framing a Poppy - Help!!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
pmdavies33
Organisation: Self
Interests: Framing

Framing a Poppy - Help!!

Post by pmdavies33 »

I am in desperate need of guidance/advice. I have framed a poppy as per the customers wishes in the attached photo. Unfortunately the moulding of choice (Lion L1983 Exhibit Pg 27) only has a rebate of 48mm. The box size is 80mm. Can anyone provide some wisdom?
Attachments
20151213_155940_resized.jpg
20151213_155940_resized.jpg (573.84 KiB) Viewed 9239 times
Glimpse

Re: Framing a Poppy - Help!!

Post by Glimpse »

I generally build the back up using strip wood then paint it. You can take a sample of the moulding to B&Q and get a tester pot of emulsion mixed up in the exact colour.
Alternatively, Exhibit range has a matching spacer - you might be able to clad your building-up with that if it's a suitable width.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The expensive way is to get some more of the moulding and saw the top end off. This will leave a nice matching piece that you can fix to the back of the frame.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

I have now framed over 20 of the tower of London poppies.. as the are all hand made, the dimensions of the head do vary. Occasionally I have had to build out the back of the frame to accommodate the head... I use arqadia frame box fillet ( 207400000) which comes in 3 different depths. This works well and isn't to obtrusive to the aesthetics.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

For anything deep like that i choose 411000499, 411000167 or 411000127 as a default. With a bit of carpentry you can use this to make a box at the back and then add another moulding to the front if it still isn't deep enough.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Rose and Hollis do an 8cm deep moulding.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Our local Simons rep came to visit us yesterday and showed me a new deep moulding from Simons which is specially designed for framing ceramic poppies. Sorry, I don't have a number to give you.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

Simons Code DIST/0002 Black moulding 20mm x 82mm
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We use Rose and Hollis A333 obeche which has a matching slip and then we paint it. It's been deep enough for every poppy so far.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master May 2019 to May 2022
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

Graysalchemy wrote:For anything deep like that i choose 411000499, 411000167 or 411000127 as a default. With a bit of carpentry you can use this to make a box at the back and then add another moulding to the front if it still isn't deep enough.
That's my default too Grays... the poppies very in depth between 60mm and 76mm that I have had so far so sometimes get away without using the step at the rear .. this frame is simple and attractive and allows the poppies to take the attention as they deserve
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Yes I agree with you imho they need to be left simple, they don't need any explanation or embellishment their simplicity and beauty speak volumes.

I have not yet framed one but if it was mine I would want only the poppy it needs nothing else in my mind, certainly no certificates of authenticity.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Yes I agree with you imho they need to be left simple, they don't need any explanation or embellishment their simplicity and beauty speak volumes.

I have not yet framed one but if it was mine I would want only the poppy it needs nothing else in my mind, certainly no certificates of authenticity.
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

Ricky wrote:Simons Code DIST/0002 Black moulding 20mm x 82mm
It appears I have been misinformed about this moulding by one of the young ladies at Simons, when I asked about the deep rebate moulding they had for framing the poppies. oh yes she said this is the one. I took delivery this morning only to discover it has a 20mm rebate and is 83mm WIDE :head: not happy.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Graysalchemy wrote:certainly no certificates of authenticity.
Yes quite, but why are you surprised people have no taste?!
yorkframing
Organisation: York Framing Studio
Interests: Photography & Astronomy

Post by yorkframing »

It appears I have been misinformed about this moulding by one of the young ladies at Simons, when I asked about the deep rebate moulding they had for framing the poppies. oh yes she said this is the one. I took delivery this morning only to discover it has a 20mm rebate and is 83mm WIDE :head: not happy.
Ricky,
The idea behind this one is to use it to make the shadow box then put a moulding on the front.
I like the idea but found the finish on the inside was not as good as the finish on the outside
Hope this helps
Steve
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Line the inside with foam board, plus mount board if you want a certain colour, to make a spacer. :roll:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I use strips of 3500 micron board yo line box frames but you do need a cmc to accurately cut the strips.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I managed without for a long time, a long 25mm (or whatever) strip is a long 25mm strip, however it's cut. CMC just makes it a doddle (at the price of more wastage)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

You were cutting 3500m without a CMC, when ever I have tried to cut it you don't get a straight line even using a wall cutter, and it takes for ever, even foamcore covered in normal mountboard was difficult.

Centrado do a nice range of slips as well and arqadia do some deep ones as well.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

No it's not DIST0002, it's a completely new range which has only just been released and it is a proper moulding with a very deep rebate. My Simons rep had samples with him, so I expect that all the Simons reps should also have samples as well.

If your Simons rep can't help, phone up Simons and talk to one of the two sales managers either Alan Pooke, Joe Davis. If they can't help you, I'm sure that Daniel will know, (there not much that happens at Simons that Daniel does not know about).

One of these guys should be able to give you the correct number, so you can order the right moulding.

BTW, the moulding is available in more than one colour of finish, (it might be three different colours),but don't ask me what the colours would be.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer