Large frame for 3 pieces of art.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Large frame for 3 pieces of art.

Post by YPF »

Potential job came into shop the other day; 3 watercolour prints on good quality but fairly thin paper. Sizes are 2 at 1220mm x 600mm (landscape) and 1 at 600mmx 1220mm (portrait).

Customer brought them back from Taiwan where the artist had a vision of the 3 pieces joined together with the portrait on the left and the 2 landscapes on the right (one above the other. The joints for the pieces would be 20mm wide so that the top and bottom of the landscapes will match the top and bottom of the portrait. The outer frame to be twice the width of the inner spacers. The whole to be covered with a single piece of glazing. Therefore glazing size should be 1820mm x 1220mm.

I hope that all makes sense so far.

Notwithstanding the problems of supporting such large pieces of paper I think the joinery required to get the spacers connecting to each other and the outer frame are outside my comfort zone. I am minded to tell the customer it is outside my capabilities and take a hit on what could be close to a 4 figure job.

Any advice or comments would be welcome.

Many thanks,

Steve
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Graysalchemy

Re: Large frame for 3 pieces of art.

Post by Graysalchemy »

Well if you are not comfortable doing it then don't do it. LArge pieces like that need a lot of preparation, time and more importantly space.

If you do go ahead 5mm acrylic is what you will need if the frame is to have spacers.
Jamesnkr

Re: Large frame for 3 pieces of art.

Post by Jamesnkr »

Encourage your customer to have three separate frames, each using a sub-frame and 10mm-wide moulding. Much easier (i.e. cheaper) to frame, transport and hang. Ends up looking almost the same and possibly more visually effective. I really like the look that comes from associated pictures in adjacent frames hung very close to each other.