Box Frame Help!!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Stacey_sef
Organisation: The Keepsake Studio
Interests: Casting, jewellery, framing, cooking, reading.

Box Frame Help!!

Post by Stacey_sef »

Hello all, I have just joined the forum. I've recently learnt how to make baby casts and frame memeobilia and I am now looking for a trade box frame supplier. Ideally I would like to have the frames made to my own specifications but I am struggling to find someone that can make the rebate depth I want which is a minimum of 55mm but ideally 60mm. I have a supplier that can make me pine boxes and then I can add frame moulding over the top but I don't like the look of this and want something that's a complete frame, i hope this is making sense! The lady I learnt with has frames made up but won't tell me who her supplier is, which of course I understand but I know there's someone out there that does it! Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? Thank you!
prospero

Re: Box Frame Help!!

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Stacey. :D

You say you don't like the 'cuckoo clock' look. Fair enough. :D

There are mouldings of that depth, but your choice of finish will be very limited, unless you go for unfinished mouldings and either apply the finish yourself or get them done to your spec. Most of this type are simple square sections. Using hand-finished moulding will add to the cost, but will allow an unlimited range of finishes.

Another way is to find a wide, flat moulding and cut it on it's back so the the rebate is pointing up. Then it's a question of finding a narrow moulding that drops into the upturned rebate of the flat moulding. Ideally the back of the narrow moulding should be the same as the depth of the flat moulding to save adding packing pieces.

I'm sure there will be a lot more suggestions pending....
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Box Frame Help!!

Post by pramsay13 »

I did these for a while for a customer. It started off I was promised 3 or 4 a week, and she would come to collect them, then it reduced to a few a month, and then I was asked to post them, so I no longer do them.
They can be made that deep to your own specifications, but often this will cost more than the customer is willing to pay.
I think your best bet would be to contact a few commercial framers nearby and see what they can offer.