Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

Pneumatic underpinner

Post by muffinski »

Just been looking through some of the posts about pneumatic underpinners for recommendations, however, a lot of the models recommended are no longer available such as alpha minigraf 4. I am just wondering if anyone has recently purchased one of the newer models.
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Re: Pneumatic underpinner

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I use an XL2 version of this one currently advertised on this Forum

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14027

The jaws drop down leaving a flat surface to slide the moulding in and out which is brilliant particularly with large frames. That option is something like £500 extra but well worth it in my view.

I have no experience with other pneumatic machines but apart from a gripe about a couple of plastic parts, which can be replaced easily should they break, I would would be surprised if this machine would disappoint unless you are into production framing.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I bought a Casese CS20 Cart about 8months ago and I'm very happy with it. It my first air underpinner and I'm getting very good results.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Alan what compressor do you use? have you found any limitations with regards to molding size you can underpin?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

That cassese 199 is an excellent machine, you will easily run it off a twin pot bambi though a single pot my struggle, you need about 6 bar for an underpinner, though it's the reserve and flow which is equally important especially if you are pinning multiple frames in quick succession.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Thanks Grays for reply Unfortunately cassese 199 is no longer available to buy new from what I can gather.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Its not but the example which is advertised on the forum looks in good condition. Cassese are very well made machines and should last a long time, my 3099 is probably 9 yrs old now and going very well. I am not quite sure which is the new equivalent model from cassese is. I wouldn't have a problem buying a second hand 199 they don't have any electrics in them (unlike the 3099) and seem very robust.
kevin
Organisation: picture framing services
Interests: framing, photography, table tennis

Post by kevin »

I had a cassese 199 for 8 years. Recently I purchased a cassese cs200. It is a very good machine and I would say it is an update of the 199.