Shorter Measuring rular for Morso

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Linda
Organisation: Hereford
Interests: painting, drawing

Shorter Measuring rular for Morso

Post by Linda »

Does anyone know if I can get a shorter measuring scale rular for my morso? It is driving me mad, as we are moving house and I will have to buy a long shed to accommodate the morso :? and if anyone has any ideas (apart from sawing it), I would be so grateful.

The maximum size of frame I cut is 20 x 16 inches
Graysalchemy

Re: Shorter Measuring rular for Morso

Post by Graysalchemy »

Hack saw?
Linda

Post by Linda »

At this moment in time, I feel like doing that, but it will devalue the morso :sweating:

It's sod's law, I've just had another look on the scale and the two sections of rular split into two pieces at 50 cm.

Actually, thinking about it, what would be good is if I could get an unwanted morso rular from a redundant machine, cut that up and bolt that in.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Don't cut up your morso.... cut a hole in your shed!!

You may find this thread an interesting read http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12900
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Well if you are going to buy a new rule then you may as well cut the one you have and just buy an new one when you need one. Its not going to devalue the morso as it is a replaceable part.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

If you do want to look for a spare morso ruler try contacting http://theframersforum.com/memberlist.p ... file&u=335
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Linda

Post by Linda »

:clap: I love the comment cut a whole in your shed - brilliant (that's 'thinking outside of the box' albeit a shed).

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I've gone outside, yet again, to have another look at my morso. I think I've come up with good solution. I can remove the long rular section (and not cut it up :D ). I'll replace this with a wooden length and mark where 60 cm is (as this is the longest length I need). As the moulding is large, the top sliding rular can move along to where I need it (as no 'rails' are needed) and I can cut as normal.

Phew, this may save loads now by getting a shorter shed (what a nightmare).

Thanks
Linda
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Linda wrote"
" :clap: I love the comment cut a whole in your shed - brilliant (that's 'thinking outside of the box' albeit a shed). "

When I first started framing (near on 30years ago) we had the Morso (with no left hand support) :head: up against a plaster board wall, so we could cut up to the full length of the Morso measure scale on the right , in the wall next to the Morso we cut a hole in the wall so we could feed the moulding through to cut, seems a shame to restrict yourself to only cutting small frames
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
bookmark
Organisation: beartown
Interests: Stoke City,

Post by bookmark »

I too had similar problem, my solution was to take the left arm off the Morso, measuring arm stays the same length. Open the the door when moulding needs to be cut, moulding is supported on a red roller. I have double doors, but only a 12ft by 8ft shed, Plan chest, under-pinner, morso, ultimate gold. Nice and cosy :D
bookmark
Organisation: beartown
Interests: Stoke City,

Post by bookmark »

Sorry to duplicate, but I was writing mine and only noticed Steve`s post when pressed post :oops:
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

bookmark wrote
"Sorry to duplicate, but I was writing mine and only noticed Steve`s post when pressed post"

Don't apologise, it's good to see how two similar problems were solved,

also what do they say "great minds think alike" or "fools seldom differ " :giggle:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Mine sits in my (large) cupboard-under-the-stairs (which is almost big enough for the left-hand extension and the measuring arm; the LH extension overspills through the door into the corridor by a small amount). Generally this is accepted by the Powers That Be.

On special occasions the Morso comes out into the corridor, allowing up to 4m on the left and 4m on the right for cutting very big bits of wood. This is generally Less Popular!
long.jpg
long.jpg (96.45 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
Linda

Post by Linda »

Love the wine cellar with your morso - you have your priorities right :D

Unfortunately we have found out that the house we are buying has a sewer easement in the garden and that is why we can not buy a large shed 10 x 12 :sweating: as you have to move the shed if they want to do work on the sewer in the future (all stress!!!). I'm therefore going for a smaller shed, as the morso would not fit under the stairs as it would go into the downstairs toilet (suppose saves buying a toilet roll holder :giggle: ).

I have double checked my morso and will remove the large measure and put a piece of wood in place. I'll mark where 60 cm is as I only want to cut the maximum size of 20 inches for my frames (as these are going to be for my new venture of pastel pet portraits).

Thanks for all your suggestions though.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

OMG 12 x 10 shed is the large option!!! The office in my workshop is bigger than that. :giggle: :giggle:
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

I'd build it over the sewer and move the shed if need be. Inspecting the sewer is a once in fifty years event.
Petejames3462
Organisation: Framin
Interests: Cars

Post by Petejames3462 »

I solved the problem of a 3 or 4m length of moulding in a 4m shed by fitting a cat flap! £8 from the pet shop Fitted in line with the bed, I simply feed the long length through and off you go. :) I suppose the same could be done on the right hand side if space is really tight, just make sure the shed isn't against the garage wall! :lol: I had some moulding delivered in a plastic sleeve so use that as a bag to protect the moulding on the odd day when it rains, that'll be every day just lately. A length of moulding is only there for a few seconds or a minute or so at most so it's not an issue. Oh, and no, the flap is one way so no cats allowed . Pete