Simons + Valiani

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Simons + Valiani

Post by John »

I have heard that D&J Simons are the new agents for Valiani.

Can anyone verify?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

YES!!!!!
I can verify that D & J Simons are taking over the UK responsibility for the Valiani machinery.

Joe (thier machinery man) will be flying to Italy in January to do the various courses.

Good news for us Valiani users....... a decent UK rep now...
John GCF
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

now that is bad news for me...

How can i convince my mother to consider the Valiani CMC as a viable option?

she considers the name Simons a very bad swear word, which is a shame.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Grahame
We thought Simons a swear word up until a few months and we have been with them for 8 years, they became very shoddy, didnt have the stock, took the orders which didnt arrive or was wrongly written down/picked. The area rep didnt give a damn.

That seems to have changed for the better. They have a complete new warehouse. Gone computerised, cant prove it but seem to have got rid of people who didnt understand.

We now have a new rep in the SW who DOES seem interested and is in regular contact with visits.

Valiani are quite business savvy as well, they checked out quite a few other distributors before deciding on Simons.

It is difficult to shift a tarnished name because of bad customer service or customer treatment.

As a Valiani end user, I am pleased, a big name supporting them with the backup and in time the experience, rather than a one man rep who was very difficult to get hold of.
John GCF
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Something definately wrong with this EDIT system..

Time will tell.!!!!!
John GCF
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

i too have heard these rumours of improved customer service, but i don't think we'll be going back to them for a third time for our moulding.

perhaps for machinery, but who knows.
markw

Post by markw »

Hopefully we will get the sort of support that Valiani users get in The USA - like many I have been less than impressed with Simons in the past - but I can understand why V went in that direction. If Simons read this posting - they need to talk to the existing users as on side we can be a very positive force.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

John (Merlin),

if two picture framing "tourists" just happened to be staying about half an hour from you in the Cornwall area in January. would they be able to pop in and have a look at the Valiani before spring fair?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Grahame
Absolutely no problem. If possible give me a ring then I can organise the work load, so that 'the tourists' can have a complete hands on play.

Look forward to it..
John GCF
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Merlin wrote:Grahame
Absolutely no problem. If possible give me a ring then I can organise the work load, so that 'the tourists' can have a complete hands on play.

Look forward to it..
ah excellent :D, Much Obliged.

I don't know how we've done it but we managed to arrange to stay 25 minutes from both you and Kev at Moonshine.

Spooky eh?
insider

Re: Simons + Valiani

Post by insider »

John wrote:I have heard that D&J Simons are the new agents for Valiani.

Can anyone verify?
I have been told that if I need mine serviced it will be by some one from Simons - help :(
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Having thought about this further, i can't think of any reason why the partnership with D&J Simons would possibly be a bad thing.

we have bought equipment from them in the past, and it is still working 16 years later! and also if the rumours are true of 3 technicians being across the UK then surely this is a boost, improving the technical support.

i'm actually looking forward to going onto the simons stand at this years fair.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Give them a chance guys and gals.

Apparently there were a lot of people interested in getting the Valiani distribution/dealership in the UK.

With the Fletcher/Valiani setup in the US of A, I am sure that Italy looked very closely at the UK players.

As people on this forum have stated, the machinery side of D & J Simons has proved itself already.

The department is headed by Joe with Cameron alongside. They will both be at the NEC together with Nico and Luca from Italy in the D & J Simons stand.

Surely 3 engineers is a lot better than 1 representative who was very difficult to contact and very rarely returned your calls.

I suspect it will be a slow build up though, until all the training has been completed and the back up stores are in place.

I as a V user am happy, knowing that I will have better support and backup.

Time will tell.
John GCF
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Time will tell. But surely valiani wouldn't appoint a partner if they weren't sure the service would be top notch!
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Well, we've been and gone and done it. I've officially ordered a Valiani from the Simons stand at Spring Fair. The bank manager, she say "yes" . Grahame is already organising the publicity, tinkering away on the laptop. You'd think a baby was on the way, the way he is fussing about! Things have changed at Simons, though as Grahame said previously, we have never had a problem on the machinery side. Joe is wonderful to deal with and both Nico and Luca from Valiani could not have been more helpful and accommodating. I am getting quite excited myself! Already toughening up on asking for money up front from customers to help pay back the loan! :lol: Once again thanks to Merlin and Kev for letting us use them in our market research.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Mary Case GCF wrote: Grahame is already organising the publicity, tinkering away on the laptop. You'd think a baby was on the way, the way he is fussing about!

publicity finished, awaiting approval.

going for 1/3rd A4 Glossy Postcards, (distribution of around 880 people)

Side 1

(picture isn't of the new mat pro cmc 150 - can't find one anywhere on the web - public wont know the difference)

Side 2
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

there we go, that is better, postimage.org seemed to not like my jpegs
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Grahame,

I am also planning on getting one, but we are planning on doing so in perhaps a year.

Seeing your publicity plans has got me thinking. It's not something I had even considered, but I'm wondering about the pros and cons and whether promoting the technology side of things is a wnner or a loser.

I can't claim to know one way or the other, but will customers think that it's lost something when a machine replaces human skill? Have you looked at how others do this? I might be worth asking around first!
Mark
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I too have decided I want a Valliani. I asked a lot of questions and got a demo of the machine but I have a question which perhaps existing Valliani users can answer.

The demo mount had hooked cuts, which were easy to see on a very thin decorative cut-out strip, with so many people there I did not ask about this.

Can someone tell me if this is due to the blade needing changing or if this is something you have to live with?
Mark
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

interesting idea Mark,

we are very much going for the

"look! we've got something that will speed up our turnaround time!" point of view.

at Peak times of year our turnaround goes through the roof (was up at well over 30 working days at one point last year) - we'll have this mount cutter out in the shop, create a bit of mystique, and also show we have some serious kit for our framing, to make us look like the "Professional" picture framer we are.

of course there are various view points, and not everything that works in one part of the country will work in the other, we can't sell hand finished moulding up here, no one wanted it when we used to offer it.