Simons + Valiani

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'd rather show off what the machine can do rather than the machine - let the customer think it's all done by candle light with a sharpened bit of flint if they like.

How do you work out 'higher quality mounts at lower cost'? How long will it take to recoup your outlay - inc interest. What about the new/increased running costs?

I'd be putting my prices up, not down and all mounts cut with the machine would be priced as if I'd done them by hand.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

an interesting line of thought,

i wasn't particularly happy with the content of the reverse side (my father had ripped my previous attempts apart and added many more sentences in)

back to the drawing board methinks
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Grahame,

I take your point, but you might need a barrier around it to stop meddling fingers, etc.

It's very visual when it's working and should be a a real crowd puller, if visible near a window.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote:I'd be putting my prices up, not down and all mounts cut with the machine would be priced as if I'd done them by hand.
Hi John,

Exactly my thoughts too! I'd do a price list with charges per cut-out and for "special" graphics, etc. If ever there was a machine to make money, this has got to be it!
Mark
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Not your average framer wrote:Hi Grahame,

I take your point, but you might need a barrier around it to stop meddling fingers, etc.

It's very visual when it's working and should be a a real crowd puller, if visible near a window.
will be right by a window to start off with, then possibly if Daler get the heave-ho it'll be going where our 3m art supplies unit is near the workshop at the back of the premises.

going to discuss a rope barrier with the relevant parties.
markw

Post by markw »

Not your average framer wrote:I too have decided I want a Valliani. I asked a lot of questions and got a demo of the machine but I have a question which perhaps existing Valliani users can answer.

The demo mount had hooked cuts, which were easy to see on a very thin decorative cut-out strip, with so many people there I did not ask about this.

Can someone tell me if this is due to the blade needing changing or if this is something you have to live with?
Mark
Hooked cuts arent a problem. blunt blades generally cause a very ragged cut - hooking is a calibration problem and you should have embarrassed them by pointing it out.. In real world production as with all machines you calibrate - then fine calibrate over time to get as near perfection. Calibration is very straight forward and once you get to the sweet spot tends to stay there.

As for the high tech aspect of a craft skill - I think my customer appreciate that I invest in the best equipment to give them a first class job.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

any comments on my revamped wording?

i really appreciate having somewhere like the forum that i can come crawling to, it stops us getting too polarised in our views on advertising and stuff!

NYAF, i remember you once posted a "health and safety" sign, i think i may adapt something similar,

but we've already got plans for the computer etc to be locked with a password so it can't be touched.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Grahame,
You are doing the right thing in promoting your new CMC to your customers. I have a couple of observations I would like to share with you from my experience.

1. Your customers generally will not be as excited as you are about your new CMC. Customers are concerned with themselves and are interested in how it will benefit them.

2. I would not put the machine in a place where customers can get near it. Mine is inside the workshop and occasionally I have invited certain people to watch it work. Some framers have theirs behind a glass window so customers can see it work.

3. Add at least 1 or 2 quid to your current price on every mat opening to help pay for the machine.

4. I would offer free designer corners on their purchase instead of a discount on the whole job. That will cost you nothing!

If you are hell bent on giving a discount, try giving a few quid off the job. I have discovered that I get a dramatically bigger response when I offer $20 off than 20% off. Many people actually thank me for sending them $20. You could scan a 10 or 20 pond note and print one side of it on a piece of paper and include that with your newsletter. You could also photoshop it to include your business name on the note.

Good luck with your promotion!
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Thanks for the advice Ormond. Grahame tends to get a bit carried away in his enthusiasm, which is no bad thing for someone of his age. I take on board all your observations, but unfortunately as regards siting of the machine, the shop is the only option. The workshop is too small to take it without having to throw out a member of staff. It's long but narrow. We should be able to keep an eye out for customers and make sure someone is in attendance at all times when it is working. Might rig up some sort of rope barrier.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Not your average framer wrote:The demo mount had hooked cuts, which were easy to see on a very thin decorative cut-out strip, with so many people there I did not ask about this.
Major disappointment across Wizard, Valiani, and Gunnar CMC's - rough bevels. Seems to be generic to the technology. Also, cuts ending in fine points were definitely on the tufty side...

That said, customers are probably more likely to be "galloping horses" than framers, and the wow factor of the mount designs possible can't be denied.

Couple of things gleaned from the show:-

- This may be down to lack of product knowledge on the part of the distributor, but it appears that there is no way to import outlines created in Corel to the Wizard control software, so it will be an absolute no-no if Corel is your drawing "weapon of choice."

- Need to research it more, but the Gunnar "blade cartridge" system appealed to me far more than the Valiani "head swap" method, in terms of ease of use (comparable to the reasons why the Excalibur 5000 rotating turret is appealing to custom, low volume framers).
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

It was more the software that swung it for us. Having seen John's (Merlin) machine in action, I changed from wanting a Gunnar to a Valiani. I need software an eejit can understand, because I have a member of staff who does'nt know one end of a computer from the other. I went to the show looking for a double-headed machine, but was struck by the simplicity of changing heads on the new Valiani MatPro. On top of that it was cheaper, which always wins over a Scots lass :lol:
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

osgood wrote:4. I would offer free designer corners on their purchase instead of a discount on the whole job. That will cost you nothing!
That's more or less what I do - mounts cost no less/no more than hand cut, but I don't charge extra for the standard designs in the gunnar, of which there are many dozens, and a free v-groove for a customer who spends over £50 (if they want one). Neither action costs me more than a minute of time over a standard rectangle or oval.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Mary Case GCF wrote:I went to the show looking for a double-headed machine, but was struck by the simplicity of changing heads on the new Valiani MatPro.
Great tip from Gunnar: assuming that you are cutting a mount face-up, use the regular blade for the bevelled aperture in a "reverse bevel" action for the outside cut, if you get my drift. Assuming that this method is also possible for the Valiani, it should eliminate the need to purchase a 90-degree head. Realistically, for a small volume, bespoke operation, I don't see a real need for a 90 degree head other than the times when one is cutting multiple identical mounts from a single sheet. For one-off jobs, in practice it would be easier to cut the board(s) to size on one's sheet cutter first.

'nuvver tip: for Valiani, better aperture cutting results on 8-ply board when the aperture is cut face-down.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Great tip from Gunnar: assuming that you are cutting a mount face-up, use the regular blade for the bevelled aperture in a "reverse bevel" action for the outside cut, if you get my drift. Assuming that this method is also possible for the Valiani, it should eliminate the need to purchase a 90-degree head.
Now she tells me ! I only went and ordered the 90 degree head as an add-on. Could have saved myself some money there.
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Oops! :oops:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

I'm sure I'll find a use for it :lol:
Spit

Post by Spit »

I think you only really need the 90 degree head if you sell unframed mounted prints, or volume mount packs. If you do small numbers or only bespoke framing a reverse bevel is fine.

Steve.
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Grahame just came through from his room and told me we can use the 90 degree head for our readymade mounts and prints, but for custom framing we don't need it as such.
Spit

Post by Spit »

Like wot I said :D

Steve.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

yeah wot he said!

the plan would be to eventually have most of the heads to give us the full choice, i love the idea of using the embosssing head.