Plonk?

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Plonk?

Post by John »

As a Christmas treat, for the first time ever, I have spent over a fiver and invested in a bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, mostly because it was mentioned on some wine program on the telly.

Knowing absolutely nothing on the subject, I have always been put off by the snobbery that seems to surround it, and the uncomfortable restaurant ritual. But I am now determined to broaden my horizons, purely in the interests of education, of course.

Any good stuff I should try?
kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

Welcome to the world of fine wine.

Chateauneuf was the wine that really got me into trying the mid ranged and more expensive wines.

The best way to try out wines is to join a wine club or order from a company like Laithwaites who I use regularily. They offer decent wine at a reasonable price which will enable you to ascertain what you really like.

If you like big blockbuster flavours in a red, I'd recommend El Bombero, The full 15, Le President XV or Black Stump.

As for whites, you can't really go wrong with a chablis or sancerre.

One thing I've noticed in the past few years is that there isn't any really bad wine around anymore so you're pretty safe experimenting. Also the wine clubs and Laithwaites offer a no quibble refund if you don't like a certain bottle. Bargain!

Enjoy
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Yeah, there ain't nothin' like a good can of wine.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
markw

Post by markw »

John - I shall try and do as much research on this subject as possible over the next week or so - I shall then probably forget that I was doing the research and not come back with an answer.
markw

Post by markw »

Virgin Wine Club are very good - I have just had a case delivered - so I have plenty to research on.
kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

Bill Henry wrote:Yeah, there ain't nothin' like a good can of wine.
When I said there isn't any bad wine out there any more, I obviously neglected certain aspects of the American market. Most Brits won't have heard of 'Two Buck Chuck' but he's a real phenomenon in the wine world.
His super value wines massively outstrip sales of all other wines in the USA.

I tried his Chardonnay once and to be honest, I've had worse from £5:00 bottles.

Mind you, America is also the home of Thunderbird.

I bet that all ex students are now shuddering in the flashbacks of cheap drunken nights when the only choice was the red or blue label.

Aaaaarrrrgh the horror, the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

kaptain.kopter wrote: I bet that all ex students are now shuddering in the flashbacks of cheap drunken nights when the only choice was the red or blue label.

I never quite sunk that low, but did suffer a few evenings of white lightning - when you're on the second three litre bottle you don't notice the taste anymore - of anything!

Never quite got into wine, white's ok with a meal but could never enjoy the taste of red, unless I'm so blasted on something else I didn't care what I was drinking. Dark ales are my thing, but you have to be careful how you mix them - bowel chemistry is an acquired skill, explosions await the unwary! You know you've got it wrong when you wake up in the middle of the night and your quilt is floating 4ft above the bed....... :oops:
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

and your quilt is floating 4ft above the bed
Tying a magnum of good white wine to each corner should help to keep it down!!!!!!!!
Alan
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

kaptain.kopter wrote: Mind you, America is also the home of Thunderbird.

OOoogh! That brings back a flashback of mixed memories. Among the truly questionable “wines” of the Thunderbird era were Boone’s Farm and Ripple both of which were consumed with abandon by my buddies and I.

When I was a kid we would sneak a six pack (no fooling, you had to buy it that way!) of Boone’s Farm (peach flavor was my favorite) into a drive-in movie theater and get snockered while watching classics like “I was a Teenage Werewolf” from the back seat of our car.

Parents were not too thrilled to have their son come home smelling like a brewery let alone having driven home drunk.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Back on the subject of bowel chemistry, you'll all love this xmas game...........

http://www.eyegas.com/sproutifarts/
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
tightmitre

Post by tightmitre »

Trust the Scots to add a bit of zing to a nice dry reisling from the Alsace.
ScotsMac. Truely only for diehards.
http://www.wilkiewideweb.com/manky/index.cgi

Harry F.
The meaning of life is in the struggle.