Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Suppliers Poll ?

Post by The Crofter »

I have been following the discussion regarding poor service from a few suppliers and wonder if it is possible to setup a poll. Just something simple such as a list of suppliers and some sort of voting system. Totally anonymous of course so nobody has to directly mention a company by name. Perhaps we could do this say every six months.
Pat
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Sounds like a good idea.

However, are there enough active members for it to be statistically significant?
The Crofter

Post by The Crofter »

You never know it may encourage some more of the 600+ registered members to post, albeit indirectly. Do you have any stats regarding how many people regularly post ?.
Pat
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

You might find this revealing: -

Click Memberlist (above).

Select sort method: Total posts

Order Descending

Click Sort
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Suppliers Poll ?

Post by Not your average framer »

The Crofter wrote:I have been following the discussion regarding poor service from a few suppliers and wonder if it is possible to setup a poll. Just something simple such as a list of suppliers and some sort of voting system. Totally anonymous of course so nobody has to directly mention a company by name. Perhaps we could do this say every six months.
There could be negative aspects to such an idea. It would not be good to be blamed be damaging a companies reputation. I think we should be aware that when comparing different suppliers on the basis of our own gripes and negative experiences we cannot control or determine to what extent a negative rating given to a supplier is, or is not completely fair.

Perhaps a better way would be to have a poll of framers favorite suppliers, where suppliers are rated positively according specific areas of satisfaction, Not in points out of ten, but out of the various suppliers that each of us use, which ones are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, for each area of satisfaction.

One avdantage in this system is that since we don't all use the same suppliers, it does not necessarily imply that there is actually anything wrong with any particular supplier, because of where they appear in these ratings. Also because different suppliers will be rated differently in different areas of satisfaction, then the strengths of each company should show through to their advanatage.
lynnbmack
Organisation: Lynn Bennett-Mackenzie
Interests: art, reading, animals, gardening, walking, photography,

Post by lynnbmack »

I agree, it could be "cutting off your nose to spite your face"!

Although I have some gripes, generally the service I have had has been very good and I just felt the need to rant a little and make sure it wasn't just me!

I will be contacting the rep whereas before hearing other views I may not have - just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally jumping the gun. I think it is good to hear what other peoples experiences are as then you can make a considered case to a rep instead of just a gut blurt which could go against you.

I have absolutely no intention of running a company down, but feel if I don't query what my issues have been, nothing will improve if they don't know. It should help their customer service in the long run. I would hate to think I was doing something wrong and didn't know - a good reason for browsing forums like these!! :oops:

It would be a very boring world if we all had the same opinions/likes/dislikes!! :shock:
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's human nature to remember bog-ups and not good things. So it may be a little unfair to condemn suppliers for the occaisional slips, especially if thay have given otherwise excellent service over the years. Better to give credit for any times they have gone the extra mile to help you out. 8)
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

I prefer NYAF's idea.

In fact, I might have said the same had he not thought of it first.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

There are definite dangers in trying to compare suppliers with each other on the basis of negative aspects of service. To discuss problems you may encounter with one supplier is very different to then trying to suggest that they are not as good as an other or others.
beth

Post by beth »

There was a discussion last year on the forum on who were peoples top 3 suppliers (i think).

Think it is a good idea, you can see what other good experiences people have with wholesales you dont normally use.
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Far better to stress the good aspects of service. We could offer the winner the JGF prize for supplier of the year.

Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
The Crofter

Post by The Crofter »

Good feedback.

At the end of the day any poll, no matter how it is worded, will end up as a satisfaction rating. I can't see any way round this so why not just list the suppliers and the votes will determine the ranking. I do not see why we have to be treading on eggshells when discussing the pro's and cons of various suppliers.

rant rant :wink:
Pat
osgood

Post by osgood »

IMHO we would all be better off making complaints directly to the management of any business that offers unsatisfactory service, than taking a poll.

What benefit would there be in taking a poll?

Some of the 600 people registered here could have an unfair biased opinion of a supplier and if they vote negatively toward that company, it could influence others to react negatively and unfairly toward that company.

I don't know what the defamation or libel laws are like up there in UK, but you may be treading on dangerous ground!

I think everyone should take matters up with the business management or just get your supplies somewhere else! Polls are not the way to solve this!
kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

[quote="WelshFramer"]Far better to stress the good aspects of service. We could offer the winner the JGF prize for supplier of the year.

Love the idea of that. This way it's seen as a positive award. For all those who don't win, try harder.

I'm sure all the major suppliers read the forum and an award from us would ( I hope ) be a nice pat on the back.

What a Jolly Good Idea.
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

I noticed that Lion featured the FATG award logo in their catalogue.

Presumably we could get the winner to promote the JGF logo.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status