inquiring about the gcf

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
greenfields

inquiring about the gcf

Post by greenfields »

hi just inquiring about the gcf is this qualifacition similar to city&guilds and is it passed by people who have taken training from a gov body
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

G.C.F.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Hello Greenfields,

This site should answer most of your questions.

http://www.fineart.co.uk/GCF.asp
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Hi Greenfields,

When I started as a new framer I found the GCF exam invaluable because it provides a benchmark to show you understand and can demonstrate the proper way to frame, ie the basics.

I learned about mount cutting, handling glass safely, conservation framing, not to use masking tape (amongst other things), how to cut and join mitres properly, drawing lines, etc, etc. It gave me the confidence to frame and to talk to my customers. Not that you ever stop learning, just look at the threads here on the forum. We all learn more as we progress but it gave me an excellent starting point.

I trained with Dromore Picture Framing and so have three other members of staff:

http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk/

and I know there is also training available in the Republic. Details are available on the Guild website.

I would recommend you consider a good trainer to prepare you for the GCF exam should you decide you want to go down that route. Who is a good trainer? Best to ask for recommendations from people you trust. How about the forum?

Good luck. :)
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

Hi Greenfields,

You can also buy the GCF study guide from the website quoted by Keith, it fully explains the exams and all that is required to pass.

I have also recently attended Down School of picture framing and can highly recommend them.
Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

I think its time to start looking for a course in the UK and learn the trade. Courses i'm considering so far are with Mike Royall, Lyn Hall & DIY Framing. I'm sure there are plenty to choose from, any reccomendations will be most apreciated. As these courses cost several hundreds of pounds i want to be sure on choosing the right one and who better to ask.
Gary
osgood

Post by osgood »

It would be great if everyone new to this industry went to a framing school and learned the basics!
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

The only way I think that would happen is if the education authorities were made to see framing as a 'proper job' and held official courses at colleges.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

osgood wrote:It would be great if everyone new to this industry went to a framing school and learned the basics!
Great idea. However, the two week basic course I went on delivered loads of bad advice and techniques that I've only rectified due to being on this forum and taking advice from true professionals.

Without any regulatory body there's people out there who run courses without keeping abreast of changes in the industry and new, improved conservation products and techniques. They are just passing on their own inadequacies to a new generation of framers who are willing to learn and through no fault of their own are being led astray.

I can't praise this forum and it's members enough for all the great advice you continue to give.
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
greenfields

gcf courses

Post by greenfields »

hi ,kaptain koptor my problems with doing these courses is that the people training you have got no quailfacations themselves in the matter of framing i believe it needs to be a city &guilds form of training with some form of cert to say that you pass.
the guild are looking for a lot of money for nothing because my customers dont know what a gcf framer is nor do they care they want a good jod done to what ever grade they want to pay .
like your self anything i want to know i look here in the framers forum
and it costs nothing.

greenfields
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Greenfields.
There are trainers out there with the qualification to frame. You just have to look for them or get recomends from people here on the forum.

I believe that my GCF qualification was worth the money I paid. If nothing else it has given me a datum to work upward from. Like all qualifications should do. As Birdman said earlier, it is a Benchmark.

I know that if I apply that knowledge gained many years ago now and the knowledge gained since then, I am happy that my practices and procedures are correct.

I doubt that we will see framing as a C & G certified training course in the near future; if at all. However, if it was, no doubt it would cost as much as the courses that are run at present.

I have a Licentiateship of the City & Guilds and not once has any regulatory body checked on me in the 20 years since I received it to make sure that my own and their standards and practices are being met.
John GCF
osgood

Re: gcf courses

Post by osgood »

greenfields wrote: the guild are looking for a lot of money for nothing because my customers dont know what a gcf framer is nor do they care they want a good jod done to what ever grade they want to pay .
like your self anything i want to know i look here in the framers forum
and it costs nothing.
When people decide to do the GCF, CPG or MCPF it is necessary to do a large amount of study in which they learn a huge amount of information that is invaluable.
I wouldn't consider that it was a 'lot of money for nothing'. In fact it is a small amount of money for a considerable benefit to anyone in this industry.

Obviously not everyone elects to get these designations, but if everyone in the custom framing business did one of these exams, there would be a huge increase in knowledge which would benefit the industry greatly.

It is always easier to learn a process such as hinging by watching someone do it than it is by trying to understand it through a forum or even a book. Not that these ways are not good, but seeing it done is easier to understand.

If anyone is going to start a framing business without having any experience and think they can learn everything they need to know from a forum such as this, they are kidding themselves! After having been in this game for 23 years, I am still learning. I don't see how anyone can imagine that the amount knowledge gained over that time could be learned in a few weeks or months from a forum.

Surely there is one framing school in UK that is competent?
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

Hi Merlin

City & Guilds do actually have some relavent courses, C&G 7802-46 Gilding, C&G 7822-21 - Picture restoration, they also develop courses for employers i.e Royal Mail, Transport for London and provide accreditation, I,m sure if enough framing businesses & suppliers contacted them they would consider a framing course or integrating framing with their existing course, they are a business, I suppose they are driven by demand. The question is would small businesses be able to afford day release training, the course fees look even more expensive than the courses available at present, plus you would lose a days production.

Greenfields.

As Osgood says the forum is no subsistitute for training, when i first logged on to the forum it made me realise how much I did'nt know about framing, when you look at the breadth of subjects covered here and the Grumble, it's an eye opener.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Georgeh

Thank you, I would say that those two courses (may) be relevant when a picture framer has the basics of picture framing under his belt.

Starting a training package and accreditation to C & G standards is not an easy process. Whilst in the Military, I was part of a team that started the ball rolling to recognise Military Aircrew in the civilian world. It has taken a lot of hard work by very dedicated people to get it to the standard where it is now. A Degree in Aviation. Fortunately it was funded by the MOD, so I have no idea on the costings.

The picture restorations C & G costs £1400. So that gives an idea.

I totally agree with your second part. Even after 10 years, I read the forums and I find I am still learning.
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

This forum, and the Grumble may indeed be no substitute for hands on training and physical demonstrations.

But some methods/principles mentioned here and a hec of a lot more mentioned on TFG simply have no-one demonstrating/teaching them in the UK and the last 'real life' seminars I saw were very basic and also contained bad advice, very bad advice.

A big problem here is that the materials required to carry out some of these methods/procedures are not available from our framing suppliers. Also that our trade mags are hugely influenced by those suppliers and articles on framing within them contain the same sort of bad advice seen at those seminars.

I've taken on a lot of new procedures and sourced a lot of new materials thanks to these forums. My business attitudes have also changed for the better.

Not being able to meet the people sharing advice I've gone the trial and error route based on what I have read, and, based on the results I know that - smug as it may sound - the GCF test does not meet my own personal standards - nor does the organisation behind it, and that has been the Mary for a long time.

The FATG has it's own interests at heart and most framers do not provide enough revenue to have any influence.

Do the GCF test by all means - it is not a 'bad' thing - just don't think that putting those letters after your name will set you apart in any customer's eye.
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

hi Merlin,

Agree with you on the costs, the time factor is also prohibitive, but the whole subject of framing IMHO deserves to have recognised training, there is certainly enough subject matter and science involved to fill the syllabus.
They have C&G courses for Sheep Shearing, DJ ing and Door Supervision!
Like I said these things are demand driven, and at the end of the day it means little to the customer in the UK, It's like Artists, I don't suppose many customers ask if the Artist has been to art college when they choose a painting or print. Vettriano has managed OK.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Roboframer wrote:Do the GCF test by all means - it is not a 'bad' thing - just don't think that putting those letters after your name will set you apart in any customer's eye.
The letters after anyone's name will probably not set you apart in many customers eyes, but certainly not all. Especially if you explain the process involved.

I'm advocating that by doing such exams there will be a large amount of knowledge gained, mainly by the study of the appropriate information. If you speak to anyone who has done the CPF or the MCPF, you will find that each and every person will tell you that they have gained an enormous amount just from the experience. Even the ones who have not passed!

John,
I take your point about there being a lack of teachers for certain areas and perhaps some of you could think very seriously about teaching a class at the next trade show. The preparation for teaching a class is a great way to improve your knowledge. It's a far better way than just participating in a class!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Mr Bojangles wrote:I think its time to start looking for a course in the UK and learn the trade. Courses i'm considering so far are with Mike Royall, Lyn Hall & DIY Framing.
Hi Gary,

You should be able to find training much nearer to you than that. Pete Bingham is in Sheffield and there may be others up your end of the country too!
BookFrames

Post by BookFrames »

Hi Gary,
Check out Down School of Picture Framing for useful training courses, they are just south of Belfast, so relatively convenient for your location (downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk).
I have been framing for 18 months now, full time since Dec 07. I did a Basic Course with Steven & Sharon-Lee before I started framing and it certainly helped me to hit the ground running.

Am scheduled to do my GCF exam on March 17th, mainly to reassure myself that I have a sound foundation of skills & knowledge, upon which I will build with experience, time & the Forum.
I will also use the GCF(fingers crossed) to do a feature in the local papers as a kind of an official lauch of our business.

Have been a lurker on here since before I started framing and using search have always found answers to any queries which have come up.
Thank you to all ye who share your time & knowledge. :D

Leo
deejay

Post by deejay »

Some years ago we attended a seminar by the embroideres guild or somesuch to see how the 'professionals' stretched these items. We walked out when the chap recommended using PVA glue because, 'as it is water soluble it could be washed out in case removal should be required'.

Another thought just occurred. How do you conservation experts deal with potential lignin damage to oils place directly into wooden frames?
john davies
Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

NYAF thanks for the lead. I have been in touch with Pete Bingham and looks quite promising its only just over an hour to get there so would able to commute for the 3 day course. I'm just waiting for some feedback from a couple more.
Gary