Wanted: Someone to make frames for me

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Mariposa8
Organisation: The Picture Parlor
Interests: Singing, writing, creating art, walking, films

Wanted: Someone to make frames for me

Post by Mariposa8 »

I am looking for someone to make picture frames for me. Each frame must be A4 size (21 cms x 29.7 cms) with a kickstand and landscape/portrait hangings. The back strut must be very secure and hard to open. If you can make cheap frames and make a profit, I would love to hear from you. I know that Ikea sell frames for £2.40 but the frame itself is very wide. I am looking super skinny sides, the thinner the better for my wallart company. I will buy often and sometimes in bulk and although I am after black frames, I may also want coloured ones from time to time. If this is of interest, please get in touch, I would love to hear from you.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Wanted: Someone to make frames for me

Post by Not your average framer »

I wonder if you realise the scale of operation require to get the prices down to anywhere near Ikea's prices. It's probably going to require over 4 feet of moulding to produce a A4 size frame. A cheap frame moulding may cost somrthing like %0 pence per foot, plus carriage and VAT, with out allowing for wastage and waste disposal costs. After adding this all up, just making the frames and without adding any costs for glass, backing board, hanging fitting, or labour, that's your £2.40 is atready gone is buying the moulding for the frame.

I'm guessing that if you shop around, someone might be able to produce a batch of A4 frames for maybe the price you are looking for based on a batch size of maybe 1,000 frames. Unfortunately, your average retail picture framer is not going to be able to compete with Ikea on price, It's just not going to be a realistic possibility. Contract framers will do a bit better, but there's not so many of them around these days and it's anyone's guess what they will need for batch quantities vs prices.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Of course, there is no garrantee that the size and style of frame which you use is always going to be in stock at Ikea every time that you need it, so this is also something to consider and this of course could easily become problematic at a later date if there is a problem with continuety of supply with Ikea. Competing in a market where price expectations from potential customers force you in to buying your frames at Ikea prices might be less sustainable in the long run and could hit you badly if cheap sources of frames dry up over night at some future time.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mariposa8
Organisation: The Picture Parlor
Interests: Singing, writing, creating art, walking, films

Post by Mariposa8 »

I'm happy to pay up to £5.99 per frame.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

As a custom framer I would charge somewhere between £30 and £40 for what you want. A quick Google search brings up a ready made frame company that can provide what you want at your price band
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
TheArtvaults
Organisation: Callaghan Framing Ltd
Interests: Bespoke Framer, Wizard of Europe , Art installers , Moulding Manufactoring

Post by TheArtvaults »

Have sent a message regarding this , Cheers Ross @ Callaghan framing
SMORGAN1978
Organisation: tom morgan pictures (Manufacturing) Ltd
Interests: football

Post by SMORGAN1978 »

Hi

Please call us on 01623 812244. We can supply whatever you need at what price point you need, not a problem

www.Tom Morgan pictures.co.uk

Runs from 100 frames to 50,000 plus weekly

Thanks
Carla hill
ukpictureframing
Organisation: Uk Picture Framing
Interests: Framing

Post by ukpictureframing »

hi might be able to help, contact me 07947530377