Floating a magazine

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I now have the PDF whotsit thingy of Jim Miller's book mount.

The diagram is for a book though - hardcover.

Basically - see my central strap? Well, make that the whole width of the book, under the front cover just like mine.

But before you do that make a horizontal wrap-around, the full height of the book, around the whole book, not passed through the mountboard, fastened to itself and/or the mountboard.

Problem there, for this job, as stated - museum, glass effect less effective if mah given an added glossy cover - one that will not be perfectly flat, like glass is, to boot.

But I do like the idea od the hidden support being the wholw width and will undo the frame tomorrow and do that.

Guess the corner straps will have to share the slot with that support.

DUH!!! no they won't - they can wrap around the mag - ATG'd to the mount to prevent both horizontal movement and front cover opening.

Love it when I post an idea and learn too!!!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Roboframer wrote:

Problem there, for this job, as stated - museum, glass effect less effective if mah given an added glossy cover -
That should read 'mag'
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Just wanted to add something that should have been in my last post.

Thankyou, John! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

And Dave and Ormond, of course! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moglet wrote:Just wanted to add something that should have been in my last post.

Thankyou, John! :)
Ah - it wuz nuthin'
Framer Dave

Post by Framer Dave »

Not your average framer wrote: These books sound very interesting, are they available in the UK?

BTW, this is a great thread with lots of good information and questions being answered. O.K, those with more experience know other and perhaps better ways of doing this. For a lot of UK framers, this is probably the kind of discussion we don't get often enough.
Good enough information that it might be worthwhile for someone to have an educator come over and do a few workshops?

yes, I'm raising my hand here
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

That's it: tease the Paddys.... :evil:

If I was in a position to make it over, I'd be very interested, Dave. Trouble is, the rest of this year would be a write-off for me in that respect. If it was next year, however.... :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

No edit.....grrrrr

The above assumes that you were referring to coming to the UK.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi John,

I also would like to say thank you for this excellent very informative and practical thread.

Having had time to think a little more about the subject, do you know if magic tape is the tape of choice for such applications? I understand from what I have read that the adhesive has a long life, but I also know that the tape itself is quite easy to tear, which may be more of an issue with something really heavy.

In the past when I have mounted books and magazines I did it using a blue ribbon, which is not only really strong, but also the colour blue has less tendancy to fading than most. While this lacks the attraction of being invisible, it can add a little extra distinction and the opportunity to repeat the same colour on the inner of a double mount.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Framer Dave wrote: Good enough information that it might be worthwhile for someone to have an educator come over and do a few workshops?

yes, I'm raising my hand here
Count me in!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not your average framer wrote:
Having had time to think a little more about the subject, do you know if magic tape is the tape of choice for such applications? I understand from what I have read that the adhesive has a long life, but I also know that the tape itself is quite easy to tear, which may be more of an issue with something really heavy.

In the past when I have mounted books and magazines I did it using a blue ribbon.
No magic tape is probably not the best - your method using the tapes Dave said is.

However with the mount and all the straps and tape stuck to the backing board it would have been OK I think.

Not an issue now anyway - I re-did it this morning, using a new strap the width of the mag, a stiffener of mount board within it and secured it with your method/Dave's tapes :)

Still stuck the whole thing to the backboard too so it's hopefully going nowhere!

Had I searched the Grumble archives, which I have now done, instead of relying on memory, the method is there. Guessing it's also in the on line PFM archives too.

I seem to remember someone saying once there was a problem with ribbon - reaction to UV perhaps?

Will be buying the 2 books Ormond mentioned too
osgood

Post by osgood »

John,
Can you buy the books in UK?

Maybe the FATG might have them?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Do you have the ISBN Nos?

I'll check the FATg website - doubtful.
osgood

Post by osgood »

John,
Just got a reply from Jim:

"My books are available from the PPFA bookstore, the PFM bookstore, Amazon.com, and a few other outlets."

Also for any suppliers up there:
"If any suppliers are interested in becoming resale outlets, the publishers would be pleased to set them up as bulk buyers. PFM Books published "The Complete Guide to Shadowboxes and Framing Objects"; Columba Publishing (Vivian Kistler's company) published "Mounting Objects with Clear Film". Both publishers may be contacted through their web sites, which may be easily Googled."

I hope this is helpful for you and other framers in your region! 'The Complete Guide........" is a cracker of a book. So many great ideas and methods!
Framer Dave

A distributor, maybe?

Post by Framer Dave »

Folks, I'm glad to see there's such an interest in Jim's books. I'll tell you all right now that I have no financial interest in them at all. I do however think they are great books that every serious framer should have.

I'm going to be coming over there to Birmingham in the middle of May to attend the FATG annual awards dinner and to sit the GCF exam. If there is interest and we can figure out the logistics, I'd be willing to get a number of both books and bring them with me.

I don't think it would be fair of me to try and make a profit on these other than maybe enough to buy a few pints at the pub. I'd just like to help out my friends on the other side of the pond.

Let me know, and I'd appreciate any ideas on how we can work this out.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Thanks for that Ormond.

Couldn't find the books on Amazon - UK or US - but got them on the publishers' websites.

Shouldn't have to pay VAT on books, not sure about import tax and the PO's ripoff handling charge though.

Do you have the ISBNs so's we can see if a big book store like Waterstones, or even a library could get them?
Roboframer

Re: A distributor, maybe?

Post by Roboframer »

Framer Dave wrote:I'd be willing to get a number of both books and bring them with me.

Let me know, and I'd appreciate any ideas on how we can work this out.
Great idea and very good of you.

I'm sure we have a member or ten that could rendevous with you, (volunteers anyone?) we could send him/her the money by cheque in time to be converted in to cash for you.

Put me down for one of each - watch out for excess baggage charges!!
osgood

Post by osgood »

Dave,
You're worth more money!
I met you in Vegas, if you're Dave L. It was a pleasure!

I hosted Jim's class at PPFA on Shadowboxes and Objects and learned so much really useful stuff and his book is a great reference!

Watch out for these guys when you are in UK, they will probably ply you with plenty of amber fluid!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We'll raise aloft the nut brown grog until the cringe is plunging!
osgood

Post by osgood »

"cringe is plunging"

Is this some sort of marine creature?