Floating a magazine

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Excellent - thanks David,

So - it does come under different names - now we just need to find the best deal - manufacturer direct or wholesaler pricing for resale.

Wonder how much (US) Grumblers pay as end users, wonder where their suppliers are buying from.

Probably UK/Europe - the stuff probably flies over us once a week!
Paul Hardy

Post by Paul Hardy »

I've just received a number of books and pamphlets I ordered from Picture Framing Magazine in the USA. I went a little over the top to save shipping costs by buying quite a few in one hit.

If anyone is thinking of doing the same, I can offer the following entirely subjective initial assessments of the ones I bought:

The Complete Guide to Shadowboxes and Framing Objects - Jim Miller $24.95
Very comprehensive, excellent photos and illustrations. Feels very up-to-date. Definitely worth buying.

Pamphlets all at $8 each

Creating Space for Preservation Framing by Hugh Phibbs & Jeff Tichenor
Building A Preservation Frame By Hugh Phibbs
Preservation Hinging for Works of Art on Paper By Hugh Phibbs
Sealed Frames for Preservation By Hugh Phibbs (my copy was a photocopy unlike the other pamphlets)

Extremely thorough coverage of the subjects, techniques worth knowing even if you're unlikely to ever need some of the more arcane ones.

The History of Frames Pamphlet
By Robert Kulicke, William Adair, Henry Heydenryk, Jr $8
Rather disappointing, since many of the illustrations of different frame periods are actually photos of American reproduction frames rather than original examples. You'd be much better off with 'Frameworks: Form, Function, and Ornament in European Portrait Frames
By Paul Mitchell and Lynn Roberts $125' but then you get what you pay for.

The Regilded Age
Catalogue of gilded objects from the 1991 exhibit at The Newark Museum sponsored by The Society of Gilders. $15
Detailed initial essays on gold, gold leaf and gilding, historical illustrations weighted towards American frames. I was less enthused by the contemporary (1991) gilding examples.

Glorious Borders: Three Centuries of French Frames Pamphlet
If you're looking for a very short history of French frames, then this is quite good - colour photos of actual period frames set out in chronological order. Also covers gilding techniques. Illustrations taken from Macmillan Dictionary of Art 1996.

Ornamentation in Frame Design:In Search of Elementals Pamphlet
By William B. Adair $8
Didn't reckon this at all. It's a glossary of ornament, derived from every imaginable source except picture frames. Some relevant terms, but heavily based on architectural ornament.

The Art of Decorative Matting
By Sylvie Robine $29.95
Not bad - it's rare to find any books at all about washline mounts, so I shouldn't be too picky. Some guidance as to how to do washlines, although it makes it sound a lot more straightforward than it actually is. I liked the examples which stayed close to period examples It's when the author gets a rush of blood to the head and ventures off into 'original' designs that it all goes pear-shaped. (in my view....)

Framing Collectibles (Volume 7: The Library of Professional Picture Framing)
By Vivian Kistler, CPF, GCF $24
Feels like a slightly old-fashioned version of the Jim Miller book on shadowboxes, although it does cover wider topics. Probably still worth having I'd have thought.

Just my opinion, if anyone else has copies, please feel free to disagree.

Paul Hardy
www.sudbury-picture-frames.co.uk
James Miller
Organisation: ARTFRAME, Inc.
Interests: Picture framer; author of "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SHADOWBOXES AND FRAMING OBJECTS" and "MOUNTING OBJECTS WITH CLEAR FILM"; writer of feature articles for Picture Framing Magazine, USA; framing educator.

Post by James Miller »

Roboframer wrote:...Wonder how much (US) Grumblers pay as end users, wonder where their suppliers are buying from...
The only source I know for Stabiltex (Tetex) and Crepeline is Talas in New York. Stabiltex last month was US$61.00 per yard, and Crepeline was US$23.00 per yard.

I do not know the suppliers used by Talas, but you may be right about European sources, at least for Crepeline, which is a French silk organdy.
Jim Miller
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Paul Hardy wrote:I've just received a number of books and pamphlets I ordered from Picture Framing Magazine in the USA. I went a little over the top to save shipping costs by buying quite a few in one hit.
Did you have to pay any additonal handling charges or import tax?
Paul Hardy

Post by Paul Hardy »

Roboframer wrote:
Did you have to pay any additonal handling charges or import tax?
No, just $30 shipping.

Paul Hardy
www.sudbury-picture-frames.co.uk
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Hi JGF's
I thought I'd post these images of a !st Edition Gone With The Wind
book jacket, I've only just finished mounting it on silk on a 3d mount.

Steve N
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Bit of a heart-in-the-mouth job, eh Steve? The fabric mount is lovely. :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Hi Áine
Yeah it was a bit, I love using the silk covered mounts, give a rich feel to the work.
Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/