topcat
Organisation: Bay Framing
Interests: Picture Framing
Football
Music

framing a dvd case

Post by topcat »

Always something new isnt there?
I've got a customer wanting to frame some dvd cases, some are still sealed and others are signed. They're quite valuable and the customer would like them to remain as intact as possible, with the cases standing proud of the backing rather than flush. I was thinking along the iines of sitting them in foam board or clear melinex strips, but would welcome some advice. Many thanks.
PS. not ignoring any replies, i just cant login to this site on my phone for somen reason and only have occasional access to a computer.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: framing a dvd case

Post by Not your average framer »

Taking a bit of a lead from what you have already said, I'll just try and fill in some of the details. Seting them part way into foamboard sounds like a good move! I would not go to thick for the foamboard, 3.5mm is plenty thick enough. leaving part of the DVD case exposed beyond the foamboard will add a nice bit of visual interest. Foamboard does not always cut as clean as you might be thinking, so It is often helpful to wrap the foam after cutting it to size with some fabric and add another layer of mountboard, or foamboard behind.

Before securing the rear foamboard in place, I would apply a strong self adhesive tape across the rear of the DVD cases and over on to the rear of the front piece of foamboard. You need to avoid covering the foamboard excessively with the folded fabric through the cut out for the DVD case and the fabric will not ensure the best surface for stick the self adhesive tape to. I would hinge the rear piece of foamboard in place from behind the front baord along only one edge of the board, to allow easy future access if required.

I would probably be using Sekisui 50mm wide brown backing tape is secure the DVD case with and the adhesive on this tape can with care by removed with white spirit after carefully pealling away the top (waterproof) layer of the tape. You will need a suitable deep box frame with suitable depth of spacers and a backing board fixed in place to retain everything in place. If the fabric has a little bit of pile to it to also the fabric to close up any gaps around the DVD case, everything will look like a nice snug and professional result.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

377398_419748408080981_1861804359_n.jpg
377398_419748408080981_1861804359_n.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
Here are some signed game boxes that I did a few years back.

They are wrapped in melinex and that is pulled through and secured to the back of the mountboard.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

I'd agree with the straps of Melinex, pulled through slots in the back of the mountboard and secured behind. You can cut the straps pretty thin and do them in both directions to hold them securely.

It means that the whole thing is fully reversible and as you've mentioned these are valuable, you are not introducing anything that might cause any damage to them.

If you did want to go the foamboard route, then easiest way to get a tight fit is to do strips tight up against them in a pinwheel and then have a mount over the top to hide the foamboard. But by the time you've done the foamboard and the mount you will be covering a lot of the edges so will lose that floating effect. You may have to colour the edges of the foamboard nearest to the cases so that no white shows in the mount aperture.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022