Securing Floating Frame to the canvas how many screws

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Phil P
Organisation: Phil’s Framing
Interests: Home maintenance
Framing

Securing Floating Frame to the canvas how many screws

Post by Phil P »

Can I ask for opinions on the location and number of screws used to secure a canvas to a floating frame - I have seen two techniques most commonly 4 screws at the centre point of each side. But recently I saw a frame which had two screws (8 in total) in each side. Each screw being about 50- 60 mm away from each corner.

Is the eight screw option better ( more stable around the joints of the frame) or is the 4 screw option acceptable.

I have been thinking (perhaps too much) about these options. I’m leaning towards the eight screw option as I can see the tension of the hang wire exerting pressure (rotational force) on sides of the floating frame and creating additional burden on the joints of the frame when only one screw is used. With two screws the sides cannot rotate and the corner joints remain fixed.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Securing Floating Frame to the canvas how many screws

Post by pramsay13 »

I think you are overthinking this.

I normally decide based on the size of the canvas and the size of the frame and what feels right at the time.

If it's just a small canvas and frame 1 on each side will be fine, if it's a bit larger I might use 2, or even 3 or 4 on each side.

The last one I did was around 1.4 metres X 1 metre so I had 4 screws on each of the long sides and 3 on each of the short sides.