Framing vinyl records and record sleeves

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mary Lever

Framing vinyl records and record sleeves

Post by Mary Lever »

Hi
Please can anyone advise on the best way to attach a record sleeve and vinyl record to a sheet of mount board. I'm not using a frame deep enough to use mirror screws to attach the record. Only half of the record is showing, peeping out of the record sleeve. The client does not want to play the record but just have it to display. Would acid-free tape be strong enough to hold the record in place? I thought of using photo corners to hold the record sleeve in place. Many thanks
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Framing vinyl records and record sleeves

Post by JFeig »

Please, no commercial adhesive tapes.

My "magic wand" method to attach the album cover is to fold a 2 ply mat in half, that fits into the cover and glue that folded over board to the backing mount board. The cover then can then slid over the unattached "flap" of the board. The record can be held in place with a dab or two of a reversable adhesive that can be reversed with a bit of moisture such as PVA. The PVA, preferably a conservation grade, can be "melted" with the moisture without damage to the vinyl record.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

If you have or have access to a CMC I have seen framers cut out a fallout the exact shape of the vinyl, which will then sit in the whole. Not a complete answer to your question but...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

*hole...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

If you can cut circular apertures (or get them cut for you if not), cut two the same size with reverse bevel on the top mount, the record sits on the bevel of the bottom mount and the top mount is bonded to the bottom one tight to the edges of the bevels, with wet adhesive not DS tape. The record sits in the ‘V’ that the two bevels make.

You can’t slide that inside the sleeve but the sleeve can be simply mounted over half of the record and you could do that with pass through hinges. I’d do a melinex wrap.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Mary Lever

Post by Mary Lever »

Thanks so much for your advice. I think attaching the record sleeve and record is complicated by having to have the record peeping out of the record sleeve and hence making a non- symmetrical shape. What ‘reversible adhesive’ would you recommend ? I guess another option for the record would be a dab of silicone that could be removed if required?? Thanks
Mary Lever

Post by Mary Lever »

Ps the customer actually suggested I cut the record to make it easier so the usual top priority of conservation framing is now balanced with framing it securely so it stays in place!
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Here's mine:
62169219_2175708845818253_6484580093522870272_n.png
The sleeve is held in place by melinex straps on the corners, and the record is held in place by the fixings for car trim panels so it can all be reversed easily if ever required.
Mary Lever

Post by Mary Lever »

Looks great. I can’t actually see your melanin corners but did you make them yourself from a sheet? Also can’t see from the front how record is attached with your car trim panels. Can’t envisage them so I’ll google now to see what they look like!
Mary Lever

Post by Mary Lever »

Ps did you buy Melinex corners or make them yourself? Which tape did you use to attach them at the back? Many thanks.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I have a big roll of melinex so I just cut off 4 strips for the corners, passed them through slits hidden behind the sleeve and taped with my ph7 70 tape.
The fixings for the car panels are like plastic washers with legs which pop into the hole in the middle and then through the mountboard. There's then a plastic screw that fits in the middle of that and pushes out the legs to hold everything in place. I got a bag of 100 online.
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

I use these with black rubber washers between paper fastener and record.
s-l500.jpg