Swept Frames.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Swept Frames.

Post by DaveJ »

Hi all, I hope everyone is well. Where are you sourcing your swept frames from nowadays? A scarce and increasingly expensive commodity these days it appears! Any contacts appreciated, Cheers DJ.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Swept Frames.

Post by JFeig »

Can you post a picture or profile of the design you are looking for? Do you want length moulding or ready-made frames?

If it is what I think you want, swept back moulding designs, they are mostly out of style these days, thus the scarcity.

Attached is a profile chart that you can more explain what style you are looking for.
https://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-pat ... dings.html
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

The traditional ready made swepts, I understood they mostly come from China and for various reasons they have increased in price thats why, Wessex, LJ and Simons are running their stocks down and not supplying any more.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It has not very worthwhile for at least 10 years. Frinton Gallery still do them to order,
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Thanks, I used to make them into mirrors but not much call now, the alternative/punk art scene like them the traditional against the punky thing, I make up the space with a mount. I normally double the price of what I buy them for then add the price of the mount and glass. I've found some on line but they are too expensive to make anything on the frames just the mounts and glass.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

WOW, I've never even heard about this punk art thing. Do much do these punk art swept frames need to look like the really traditional frames? Maybe, you might be able to make something which is adequate for your own market. Perhaps even using some of your left over bits of moulding, isn't the punk thing about things being a little bit rough, rather than super perfect.

Whatya think?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

A bit of both, some swepts and some ornate gold.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

There's plenty on Larson Juhl website - I can't see stock though.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Only a few left they are running the stock down and discontinuing, none left in the sizes and colours I want. They'll come back into fashion one day and probably start stocking again!
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I do the rainbow queens in gold swepts as well but got no pics, I've got 3 on the way I found from maple frames but like I said, expensive.
Attachments
253696053_2759972440960989_6096764447021869226_n.jpg
120324912_2479149342376635_6150827051628827777_n.jpg
118504696_2452983901659846_7793751833246138587_n.jpg
97365299_2374283026196601_6587646449494786048_n.jpg
Compomouldings
Organisation: Compo mouldings ltd
Interests: Framing

Post by Compomouldings »

Yourpictureframes.co.uk do a range of swept frames in various sizes and colours. They also have them unfinished so you can colour them yourselves.

Thanks
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Great thank you, D.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Anyone on here old enough to remember Mr Harold Horn at Sisslings in Bradford from the 1980's
He was the king of swept frames importing them from LIRA in Cesky Krumlov in Czech Rep.

My favourite story about him was when he phoned me early 80's.
Sisslings were a Daler distributor. I recognised his voice immediately and said " How can I help you? " I want to drop Daler and order COLOUR MOUNT. Gave me a nice stock order.
I asked him why are you making the switch? :o
I tried to order from Daler and they asked me for my account number. I suggested its Daler who should know my account number, but just hit a brick wall, so thats why I've phoned you

Sisslings went on to become one of our best COLOUR MOUNT distributors.
MORAL....Sometimes It can take years to get a new customer, and seconds to lose them!
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
prospero

Post by prospero »

I remember the Lira frames and mouldings from Sisslings. :D

They were dirt cheap and looked quite classy. The mouldings were on a base timber of some really ropey
pine, often with multiple finger-joints. This made them very twist-resistant though. Cutting/joining was could be
quite problematic but once you had it done you had a very strong frame.
When Sisslings closed they had a big sale and I bought loads of the moulding for peanuts prices. A lot of it got re-finished.
I still have bits in my shed. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

When sweopt frame were easier to get, but not that easy to sell and get a decent price, I never had much success with them. Now they are harder to find, would I be right in guessing that maybe this is the time when they are like to be in demand and maybe more of a sellers market with the potential to make more money. Just wishful thinking!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

The so-called 'Swept' frames that were imported from the Far East were typically very cheap, which is why
a lot were used in the '80s/'90s. They were quite 'brassy'. I have had a lot of success with refinishing them
in a more subtle tone to suit modern tastes. An Ivory base with hints of colour and touches of gold with an
overall wash of white emulsion looks much better the heavy 'antique' gold.

I've found however that there is little demand for any ornamented frames nowadays. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I used to advertise them on my web site with photos to offer as mirrors and got a lot of calls from companies that sell those framed new born hand prints and such like because they use them as standard but I hold stock just used to order in as needed from LJ. The smaller sizes are easier to source, a few companies on eBay, the larger ones are harder. I've sprayed them in pastel and bright colours before for mirrors but yes that style has certainly dropped off!