Heavy Vintage mirror

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
gamom
Organisation: Homemaker
Interests: Home rehab

Heavy Vintage mirror

Post by gamom »

I have this old, 60 Lb. mirror that I'm trying to 'rebuild'. The masonite(?) that held the (individual) metal frame pieces are screwed on every 8-10 inches. The masonite holding everything together has deteriorated and crumbled, hence the rebuild.

I'm running into a snag finding the clips that held the mirror to the masonite as shown in the photo. It looks like it was nailed in from the front and riveted on the back to 'clamp it'? Can anyone provide a part name or guidance on how to clamp and rehang? Thank you in advance!
PXL_20231030_160357687.jpg
PXL_20231030_160345796.jpg
PXL_20231030_173139522.jpg
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Heavy Vintage mirror

Post by JFeig »

It looks like you are missing a portion of the actual frame (lower right scroll). As a furniture store mirror that was mass produced at least 50-60 years ago they possibly used custom a stamped hardware that is no longer available. The hardware that is in your image, an offset bracket, is a common type of hardware that most custom picture framers use on a daily basis. Your picture suggests a very thin offset bracket that is thinner than those used by picture framers.

If you have the missing portion, how are these brackets attached to the metal stamping of the frame? It also appears that the brackets are riveted to the hard board backing.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
gamom
Organisation: Homemaker
Interests: Home rehab

Re: Heavy Vintage mirror

Post by gamom »

Thanks for the information! Yes, the hard board broke off at the bottom because it is so brittle, so I was going about replacing items but could not find the offset bracket as you described. The offset brackets are nailed in from the other side (the side against back of the mirror) and nail head covered with a piece of felt. It looks like they riveted(?) the end of the nail to make it smooth on the back of the hard board (side against the wall).