Crome Gallery
Organisation: Crome Gallery
Interests: Picture framing

Mounting to diabond

Post by Crome Gallery »

Hi all
I have had a request to mount some w/col paper to diabond
What have people used other than heat mounting
The artist works with charcoal and the paper would be stuck before the artwork is created

Thanks iain
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Mounting to diabond

Post by JFeig »

At least your artist client has some common cense to do this procedure in the proper order of operation. My preference would be a PVA or EVA adhesive.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

I'd suggest a pressure sensitive adhesive from Drytac / Neschen. Apply to DiBond with laminator (or if small, a small brayer roller), then mount the WC paper to this. Clean the DiBond with IPA a couple of times before applying adhesive.

If using PVA / EVA, I'd suggest lightly keying the DiBond surface with 240grit sanding block, then wipe down with tac cloth

Agree, correct order of operations makes a huge difference!
Crome Gallery
Organisation: Crome Gallery
Interests: Picture framing

Post by Crome Gallery »

Hi thanks for the reply’s
The artist has used drytac and it has lifted
I should say the panels are 42inch square, i don’t have a press big enough so glueing would be the best plan. I did try a small sample and the paper came off with a small tug so Keying the diabond fist is a good shout.

Iain
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

PVA won't work - it will simply peel off in the future - very neatly too.

Keying the dibond is essential - but the artist is delusional to want it on dibond in the first place.

You "could" hot mount it using drymount film - but again keyed dibond is essential & the drymount film would need to be PTF - pierced to f... to make sure the air got away from the surface.

Oven gloves would be required too - as the dibond would experience - heat soak - followed by heat flashback.

Trust me on the oven gloves - I have been there & dibond soaks up an awful lot of heat before flashing it back.

finally if hot mounting in a vacuum press - squeeze the air out with the heat turned down - it will come out quicker - probably within 3 or 4 minutes - then - turn up the heat to create the bond.

All good fun but as I say - but - the artist must be a loon to want watercolour paper on di-bond in the first place.

BTW - the reason the cold mounting - using Drytac or any p/s adhesive won't work well is - the back of water colour paper is textured & p/s adhesives only stick where they touch. With watercolour paper & dibond it will only touch about 50% of the surface maximum. If you used museum board or foamboard - which are "soft" the pressure of a laminator would push the watercolour paper into the board / adhesive better to give an 80% plus bond.

Dibond & p/s adhesives used in conjunction are for FLAT artwork only. Dibond on Canvas gives the same problem - as you can't push the artwork into the board to get a good grip.

Did I say the artist must be an idiot???

Happy Days
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun: