Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Estelle
Organisation: Jane's Frames
Interests: Painting

How to increase rebate depth

Post by Estelle »

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help?

I’m framing a painting (of my own) for a client. It’s stretched canvas on a 20mm depth bar. The customer doesn’t want a tray frame (nor do I!) and I’m struggling to find a suitable/acceptable moulding with a rebate depth of 20mm+.

Is there any way the the rebate of a moulding can be extended?

Any tips would be much appreciated - thank you!

🧐☹️🧐😊
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: How to increase rebate depth

Post by pramsay13 »

If the stretched canvas sticks out the back just use canvas offsets.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Which suppliers have you looked at? 20mm shouldn’t be hard to find.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

We do not know who you are purchasing your frame moulding from. There are thousands of frame moulding profiles and finishes. There are deep mouldings up to approximately 100mm that are bread and butter designs.

It is up to you to talk with your supplier to see what else is available that will fit your needs. If you are purchasing frames from a frame maker the same holds true.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

If this is for one of your own paintings, then I'm sure you'd be able to paint one of Rose & Hollis's plainwood mouldings. There are lots with really deep rebates.
If you're talking to them, ask if they can send you a printed catalogue, as it's much easier to browse it than on-line.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi john,

Do you remember me extending the depth of frames by adding a spacer inside the rebate? You told me that they looked like cockoo clocks. Well sorry, but there were still times when I still did this, needs must!!!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JKX
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Hi Mark!

No I don’t remember that. It’s just what I call that method and would have before anything I saw or knew about of yours. It’s also being quite polite because I actually think it looks like crap. 😂

In this case it wouldn’t apply anyway - no point in having another frame poking out the back of the main frame if it’s ok to have the canvas poking out the back of it. Also you’d need to conceal that frame/box from the front. The method is for glazed frames holding three dimensional things, usually - and a mount is used to conceal it.

(Your regulars are now, surely, somebody else’s)!
John Turner

Estelle

Post by Estelle »

Hi All

Many thanks for your replies.

My suppliers include Lanson Juhls, Lion, DJ Simons, Rose & Hollis, etc. Yes, they have lots of mouldings with deep rebates but the deeper ones tend to be narrow and often quite modern.
I need something at least 60mm wide in either a scoop or possibly reverse. Not flat unless I can make interesting by stacking.

The trouble is that the depths aren’t allowing me to do this.

I’m sure someone told me (ages ago) that you can add a piece of wood all around the the back, to increase the depth and maybe colour to fit in but as I’ve never actually seen it done I’m a bit apprehensive.

Thanks again.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

You could just select one of the fillets from Rose & Hollis and glue it to the underside of the moulding you're going to use.
Use some masking tape to hold it in place until the glue (PVA) sets.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
JKX

Post by JKX »

You could also cut a flat profile on its side, something you already have in stock - and cap it with any moulding you like. If not hand finished then mouldings can still match and look meant to be, or even contrast.

1. Flat profile
2. Moulding
3. Canvas
4. Backing board - can be on or in the frame.

Shaded area could be filled but not essential
Attachments
IMG_0506.jpeg
John Turner

Estelle

Post by Estelle »

Thank you Vintage Frames and JKX - that is the sort of thing I imagined I might be able to do but just wanted to know that it actually works and is an accepted thing.

Although I only frame my own work, it has to be done to a high standard and there’s a lot I don’t know as I’m basically an artist, not a framer. Thing is, I actually love framing and having full control over the final product.

Many thanks!
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I like John's idea a lot, but have never had the opportunity/right piece to do it. I've done what Dermot suggested a lot, when I just need an additional 5-10mm in depth. The spacer is usually less than half the width of the back of the frame to avoid being seen and I often brush some stain over the edge to make it blend in even more. But as has been said, it's perfectly acceptable to have the canvas slightly deeper than the frame with offsets, unless perhaps it's being hung in a corridor and the customer is not happy with the look.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I use a great many of these for mounting sticky-out canvases...

https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/8591/Bendab ... m-Pack-100

They are very easily formed to fit exactly.

If you want to conceal the side of the canvas then Rose&Hollis do a good selection of square stripwood which
can be tacked onto the back of a moulding.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About