Cassese CS79 underpinner - fix info required

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
AdrianB
Organisation: BDL Framing
Interests: Art, design, archaeology, countryside, alternative music, electronic music.

Cassese CS79 underpinner - fix info required

Post by AdrianB »

I have a Cassese CS79 underpinner in my workshop which is in great condition but unfortunately jams all the time.
I also have a CS59 which has the same mechanism and which has never had the same problem.
I know how to strip down and maintain both underpinners but the CS79 has really puzzled me.
The CS79 is a 2006 model and I'm aware that there was an issue with this particular batch of underpinners.
I'm also aware that there is a fix for it that involves some washers and some machine adjustments - but that's all I know.
Can anybody provide me with the details of this fix - size of the washers, where they go and the adjustmets required.
I would be very grateful for any advice and help.
Adrian
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Cassese CS79 underpinner - fix info required

Post by Not your average framer »

I had this same problem when I had a CS-79. There was a batch of machines with this problem. If I remember rightly, I bought my machine from Lion, by I may have spoken to Simons about the problem. It's so long ago that I'm not completely sure. I was sent some washers in a small Jiffy bag, with some printed instructions, which I duely followed and fitted them. the fix was a good one and the machine stopped jamming.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I'm sure Mark at underpinnerspares.co.uk could sort you out.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Post by Mark Thornton »

Early cs79 had an issue whereas the mechanism was positioned too high up resulting in the tip of the hammer not retracting fully (this is only apparent on the 15mm high wedges)

The mechanism is suspended either side of the distributor block by two steel tubes (and bolt) the tubes need removing and the spacer (washer) inserted between the top of the tube and the aluminium chassis to extend the length of the tube.

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
AdrianB
Organisation: BDL Framing
Interests: Art, design, archaeology, countryside, alternative music, electronic music.

Post by AdrianB »

Thanks Mark - I will have a look at the mechanism.
Adrian