Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Foresty_Forest
Organisation: Forest Arts
Interests: Painting and Art

Mounting Japanese Paper?

Post by Foresty_Forest »

I have some wood engravings printed on very fine Japanese paper to mount and frame. As the paper is so fine, I'm thinking of placing them over a thicker acid free sheet of white paper, to both support and illuminate the prints.
How should I go about attaching such delicate prints to a window mount? Would using the usual acid free tape be a good method? any other tips?

Thanks
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Mounting Japanese Paper?

Post by JFeig »

The basic standard of operation is to mount the art to the undermount(a rigid piece of mountboard), backing board, or similar product) first. There are various methods of mounting depending on the physical properties and value of the art.

The second step is to cover this undermount with the mountboard with a window cut out of it that will show, border, the art. The combination of the window mount board, the undermount, and the art are considered the "art package" that is covered with a glazing material and placed into a frame. A second backing board can also be added behind the "art package" for extra rigidity.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Mounting Japanese Paper?

Post by JKX »

Attaching to the window mount isn't what you should be doing and "the usual" acid free tape is probably dubious too.

You should normally use an undermount, hinged to the window mount and that's what the artwork is mounted to. so that negates your acid free paper.

It can be 'T' hinged and the best hinges you make yourself from Japanese tissue and fix with adhesive you've cooked/mixed yourself, but if unexperienced this could cause cockling, so as long as the hinges are out of sight under the window mount, something like filmoplast P90 may be your safest option.

If not TOO flimsy, or if fairly small, there are several non-adhesive methods you could use, such as a platform mount.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.