Best wire for stitching fabric works

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
lehcar32
Organisation: Raven Frames
Interests: Bespoke picture framing

Best wire for stitching fabric works

Post by lehcar32 »

What wire do people use for stitching through fabric works (after lacing) to stop them billowing forward? I'm thinking it needs to be non-corrosive for conservation purposes and thin enough to be discreet. I often use thread but its really fiddly/time consuming and more difficult to get it nice and tight.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Best wire for stitching fabric works

Post by JKX »

I’ve no idea what you mean, I laced thousands of pieces of needlework over the years and “billowing forward” isn’t a thing!
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
lehcar32

Post by lehcar32 »

I don't mean needleworks, more fabric art which is 3D. I'm doing one at the moment which is massive and has parts which are stuffed. I've stretched the backing fabric fine by lacing it but I need something to secure parts of it from front to back. Another purpose for wire would be for clothing/shirts as I don't want to make big holes in it with a tag gun, or say a quilt where they want to see the edges so it needs to be stitched down.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

OIC

Has this thing got elephants and lots of sequins by any chance?

I wouldn’t lace that sort of thing, I’d pin to foam board, or foam board bonded to mount board, then support sew or tag, or a combination.

I think any needle that would work for wire would be about the same as a tag gun needle. It’s still a hole, just use tags where they can be concealed and thread where they can’t, maybe.

Same for shirts and quilts, quilters use tag guns.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

In most cases the proper material for this task is to use is HD natural thread. It has been used to attach buttons to the front of upholstered furniture for centuries. If you insist on metal wire, stainless steel is about the only choice.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
lehcar32

Post by lehcar32 »

Thanks for your replies :-)