Art glass

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
RaamiDaami Anu
Organisation: RaamiDaamit Oy
Interests: Horses

Art glass

Post by RaamiDaami Anu »

Hi!
I´ve got an artpiece made of glass. I should frame it without glass in front of it and without a backingboard.
How should I frame the artpiece of glass in wooden frames and attach it?

Greetings from Finland
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Art glass

Post by JKX »

What is it and what size? Please post a photo.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

How to attach a piece of glass into a frame without any backing (transparent or opaque)? I also assume not being suspended from above by wires or other similar material.

... a magic wand! You need some sort of mechanical attachment method, part A to part B.

Are you planning to attach the art to the wall and then place a picture frame around it?
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I've done it before and just glued a piece of wood all the way round to hold the glass in place.
RaamiDaami Anu
Organisation: RaamiDaamit Oy
Interests: Horses

Post by RaamiDaami Anu »

Different sizes of transparent glass-art.
A tiffany-art glass company are sending their clients to me.
I should frame transparent art-glass in frames; without frontglass and without backingboard. To be hanged on a window, so you can see threw it.

I have a way how I frame them, but I´m looking for a different, easier way to do it. I would be greatful for any hints, ideas or advice.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

You didn't describe what type of glass and it's shape. After your response to inserting wood shims around the border of the frame that acts like a bezzle around the art, similar to a frame for a "collector plate" or sheet of mirror my response would have been different.

Depending on the type of glue and environmental conditions, I would suggest small nails(wire brads) or screws used to hold those pieces of wood as insurance.

The same process would be the same if the frame and shims would be made from clear acrylic.

Again, "a picture is worth 1,000 words". The question is a mechanical engineering question and I think as an engineer.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Miss Eclipse
Organisation: In the Frame
Interests: Art

Post by Miss Eclipse »

I think I did something like this recently but not sure I took a photo of finished piece! :| I did post asking for suggestions on here some time ago but ended up asking a friend who makes windows. I’ve attached the original glass.

It was a piece of coloured glass which was quite nobbly. The client wanted to be able to see through it and hang it inside. The friend used a router to gauge a channel down the wood to sit the glass in, then we glued the mitre corners. I stupidly should have stained it before as once it was in, it was in! And the client then decided he wanted a lighter stain..... :head: And of course I didn’t dare get it out of the frame as I thought it would crack the glass. So I spent months sanding the wood back, hating the thing as it sat glaring at me on my workbench. Eventually I got the stain right and varnished it. Used some copper wire and eye rings and the client was really happy.

It wasn’t actually very difficult. I just made a mess of it! Although it turned out ok in the end.
Attachments
40825BC1-7702-4A2D-9030-05C5A0CB20F2.jpeg
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

We can all only assume a lot because the OP hasn’t shared a photo nor shown or described the way s/he has dealt with similar in the past.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.