Gallery of Rogues

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Less
Well done on keeping up to the standards.
As to Photographing the work. That is good for future reference.
Can you post them on here, so we can all see and use as an education tool for our future customers.
John GCF
less

Post by less »

Hi John,

Yes, I will try and post some photo's when I figure out how to do that (please don't tell anyone that my degree is computing & informatics!)

Regards

Les
Nigel
Organisation: Frame-it-Rite
Interests: Picture Framing - reading - surfing the web

Tape v Lace

Post by Nigel »

Hi,
I've been reading through this section with a bit of dismay. I have done a lot of X-stitch and embrodery work over the last year so I am concerned with what everyone is saying about tapes.
I have been using a tape supplied that is acid free and especially made for doing this sort of job.
Are you all saying that this is not the case?
Lacing a X-stitch, tapestry or embrodery seems such an old fasioned and time consumed way of working with modern adhesives around these days.
I have seen a lot of pictures of how not to do a fabric job, I would certainly appreciate a few pictures of how you to lace a job correctly and yet reasonably quickly. The way I was shown back in the 80's took forever. Having recently come back to framing I was under the impression that technics and modern tapes had moved on a bit, but perhaps that is not the case?
I would appreciate some picture and guidance. At the end of the day, who wants to produce a bad job. :(
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

What is the name of the tape that you are using please.

We have set our standards and lace ALL needleart.

Have a look at the following, to start with

http://users.bigpond.net.au/osgood/lacing.html
John GCF
osgood

Tape v Lace

Post by osgood »

John,
You have alerted me to the fact that my instructions are still available at that link. I must see about fixing that!

Nigel,
One of the problems with any adhesive, that is on any tape, is that it can migrate into whatever it is stuck to. I personally don't think that any substance that absorbs into a piece of needlework will do it any good. Actually it will most likely do harm over time.

I have a simple rule that I follow when I frame anything other than temporary artwork:

"Do not do anything that cannot be totally reversed" or "If you cannot reverse it, do not do it."

That sticky substance that's absorbed into artwork or fabric off the tape cannot be removed easily, if it can be removed at all.

"Old fashioned" lacing may be, but so is eating, breathing, walking and going to the dunny, but we all still do those things every day!

Lacing may also be time consuming, but don't you charge your customers for the time you spend doing their job???
Surely this is a basic business principle.....the more time you spend on someones job, the more you make out of it.......well, that's the way we do it down here! You give the impression that you want to only do jobs that take minimal time. I don't understand that!
Nigel
Organisation: Frame-it-Rite
Interests: Picture Framing - reading - surfing the web

tape v lace

Post by Nigel »

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

John,
The tape in question is:
Frame Co. Needlework Tape. I will quote from there instruction:
"Safely mount your linen, needleword, silk, cross-stitch and embroidery without messy glues, pins or staples. More responsible to use than staple, because the tape is ACID -FREE and can be used without fear of the adhesive bleeding through to damage the fabric. You can reposition the linen on the tape, making alignment of the threads an easy operation. The tape will not yellow or stain the fabric. Use Needlework Tape for any type of needlework framed with a mount or flush into the frame".
Having used this I have found it very good although expensive when you consider I have to have it shipped down to southern Spain.

Osgood,
Thanks for your reply. As you can see from the above, the tape will not migrate into the fabric. So they say anyway. Having only used this for the past year I can only go by what the company says.
But this is an Australian company, from your part of the world, surely an Aussie company would not tell us porky pies would they?
By the way your comment "don't do anything that can't be reversed" I think is very good advice. But to take you to task over your comment that I only want to do jobs that take minimal time is completely wrong, but I do want to move with the times and do a job quicker if it is at all possible.
One other point. I followed the link to your page on lacing. Excellent!! Please please please do not remove this link, I found it to be very well explained and informative.

I would appreciate further comment regarding this tape. Has anyone else heard of it or used it and what did they think.
osgood

Tapes

Post by osgood »

Nigel,
Personally I would not take the risk of believing that the adhesive won't migrate into the fabric or do any of those other bad things. Manufacturers are notorious for exaggerating the properties of their products.
One perfect example comes to mind - "acid free" mats! ...........My comment is "Bollocks" to that!

Another example relates to mouldings. How many times do you get a sample of a moulding that looks great, then when you buy some it looks like crap and is so twisted it looks like it belongs on the front of a Cessna and needs to rotate rather rapidly?

Do you have fastfood hamburger restaurants in your country. Check out the next hamburger you get and compare it with the picture of the hamburger in the store........they look so different.........I just don't trust what businesses say about their products.

I am quite sure that companies from Australia are the same as from any other part of the world.
If a manufacturer can supply independent proof of their claims, then we will have to believe them, but I certainly would never use it under any circumstances for many reasons.
If you did remove the needlework from this tape after several months or years, would some of the fibres come off and remain on the tape? If so then the process is not totally reversible!

We all have to make our own decisions and I am just stating what my decisons are on this topic.

When you say that you want to do jobs quicker, I am making an assumption that "speed" is more important to you than other considerations. My main aim is to do the job to the best standards that my customer will allow and if I cannot persuade the customer to use at least the minimum standards that I recommend to them, I would decline to do the job. That has happened only twice in 20 years so I have been reasonably successful with my persuasion so far.

Speed is low on my priority list. If I do the job fast, I can't charge as much for the job as when I do it better with better materials and techniques!

I hope you try out lacing the way I have shown in the instructions. Many framers already have done and are now using this method regularly.

I do not mean to be critical in any way, just giving you my thoughts and hope I have given you some more stuff to think about.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Any sort of adhesive on needlework is a no-no.

Needlework customers are among the most appreciative of a job well done; you are not doing it well!

Plus everything Ormond said!