Digital Photo Frame

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
wireman

Digital Photo Frame

Post by wireman »

Hi

Customer brought in a digital Photo Frame and asked if i could mount and frame it.

My question is how do i attach the frame to the digital frame

Mounting is not the problem but i don't want to damage the Digital Photo Frame.

The frame the customer chose just about covers the thicknes of the front of the frame

http://www.digitalframecompany.com/defa ... moreimages

It is very similiar to the one at this company but in black

Thanks
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Re: Digital Photo Frame

Post by The Crofter »

From what I can see there are 4(6?) screws fixing the front to the back plate. I would create a mounting panel from 2mm mdf, cut an aperature to allow the front part to fit, drill holes in the mdf to allow the front and back to be reassembled with the mdf as a sandwich. I would think the fixing screws would be long enough to allow this. The mdf panel can be attached to a normal frame and brackets produced to suspend the whole thing. Covering the mdf would be good or even facing it with a piece of mountboard with another suitable aperture.

Clear as mud ?
Pat
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

All electronic devices consume power to operate, therefore there will be some heat generated within the equipment. If this digital picture frame is to be framed in such a way as to reduce the normal disapation of this heat into the surrounding environment and if there is enough power consumption to permit this, then the internal operating temperature may be increased beyond what the designer intended.

It would be prudent to ensure a similar degree of air-flow around the outer surfaces of this device as would be normal if not framed. This is in case any restrictions lead to a temperature increase which may give rise to failures, reliabilty issues, or reduce the operational life of the product.

I would think carefully about this before fully enclosing this item, or placing it's display behind glass!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Not your average framer wrote

"It would be prudent to ensure a similar degree of air-flow around the outer surfaces of this device as would be normal if not framed. This is in case any restrictions lead to a temperature increase which may give rise to failures, reliabilty issues, or reduce the operational life of the product."

You might even need to consider the possibility of it catching fire. On this basis not something I would want to undertake.

John.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Jonny2morsos wrote:You might even need to consider the possibility of it catching fire.
I've never had the chance to check one of these out, but I would suspect they do not generate enough heat for such extreme possibities.

I'm mainly suggesting that as much of the external surfaces as possible on this item should be left un-enclosed and no venilation holes should be in any way obstructed.

It is highly likely that many of these are framed as a routine course of action and with a little exercising of informed caution and common sense, then it should be quite reasonable to do so.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer