Moulding Storage?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
evanstheframe

Moulding Storage?

Post by evanstheframe »

Just a quick one I would like to hear your views on, storing of mouldings.
I am just sorting out my workshop area. I have cleared one wall of my cabin. The wall is 16 foot long with an apex roof aprox 11 foot at the centre. In front of this I have positioned my Morso F just enough off the wall to position a box to catch the waste.
Now this is where I need your views and advice. Do I store my moulding vertically between pegs or horizontally on shelf supports on this wall. Both would be easy to get at but maybe the vertical would be easier for people to see and also for checking of stock. I look forward to your replies. If possible ASAP as I need to get this sorted.

Many thanks,
Lyn (ETF)
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Linked http://www.thegrumble.com/ubb/ultimateb ... 1;t=008264

This topic is also running on the US Grumble at present…….

Dermot
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Lyn, you probably don't have the height to store your mouldings like this.
But if you would like more details, please let me know.

You may have to consider some sort of horizontal rack. There is a commercial system available (through Lion?), but it would probably be more economical to DIY
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Lyn
I have the same problem in the workshop in the shop. only 5 metres inlength and 2.3 metres high..
My racking is horizontal. had to get it made at the steel work factory. #
will post pics Thursday
John GCF
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I do have a height problem in the workshop, so came up with this racking

The support arms are made from 25mm square stock, they are 450mm long and welded onto the vertical supports. The distance between the bottom of one arm and the top of the next is 100mm. They are covered in 22mm foam insulation material. There is a raised lip on the front of the arms to stop the moulding rolling off.
The height is 2.4m and this gives me 16 racks in total with a storage underneath.
Total cost of 3 support arms was only £140. Locally made at an engineering firm. Quite cheap I think. I cannot weld otherwise I would have had a go myself.
The second picture shows a face on shot. I do not have room for a waste collection box at the back of the Morso, so have raised it and placed a pull out tray underneath. Works extremely well, although you will have to put an MDF board at the back to deflect the waste material.
One point though. My wife and partner is errrrr 'vertically challenged' so had to build her a plinth as well, complete with carpet.
To the right of the picture you may just see the built in Cassesse underpinner.
Compact but works extremely well.
John GCF