Banks

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Re: Banks

Post by kev@frames »

tangent also: my bike insurance- last year £240. this year, changed company, £122.
amazing. Company is MCE, worth a look they also do cars.
gesso
Organisation: The Gilders Studio
Interests: see above

Post by gesso »

If we're going down this route

last Year dowe egberts coffee fron sainsburys £2.63 This year 99p from ..... THE 99P SHOP result!

sorry got rid of my car last year. At this rate I'll be able to give up work with all the money I'm savin' :clap:
Mark Fisher
www.thegildersstudio.co.uk (Now Closed)
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
prospero

Post by prospero »

And...... the jars have a very airtight seal so the empty ones are great for storing paint and stuff in.

Double Result. :) :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

My bank has just told me that they are increasing their charges. I note that they waited until I had agreed to renewing my overdraft facility and charge me £100 for arranging the overdraft renewal, before telling me that they are increasing their charges. Do I trust them - Not a lot!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
gesso

Post by gesso »

prospero wrote:And...... the jars have a very airtight seal so the empty ones are great for storing paint and stuff in.

Double Result. :) :)
I now keep my money in mine, I can get 100 in a sharwoods jar and a grand in the massive gerkin 'uns started me thinking of new slang words for amounts of money , sweet & sour (100) gerkin (1000) coffee mate (500) ......god I need to get a life!
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

gesso wrote:god I need to get a life!
Bid for one on eBay. :P
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

a life?
where can I download one of those from?
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

didn't know you were allowed more than one wife?? :D
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

gesso wrote: I now keep my money in mine, I can get 100 in a sharwoods jar and a grand in the massive gerkin 'uns started me thinking of new slang words for amounts of money , sweet & sour (100) gerkin (1000) coffee mate (500) ......god I need to get a life!
reminds me of someone who was reputed to have kept a milk churn full of money buried on his farm, just in case/rainy day etc. it was bollox, of course, the rumour was prabably put out about by the metal detector shop. there were always people digging his fields up in the wee hours though..... :(
I wonder how much cash you could get in a milk churn?

And while we are at it, if you ever do one of those deals in which a case full of money is handed over, is the etiquette to keep the case or give it back later? II suppose you would keep it?
It was just a thought.
Need to get out more, i think ;)
prospero

Post by prospero »

Ha ha. I once put a big painting back on it's stretchers. The prospective buyer came to my place to veiw the piece and the guy who it belonged to came to 'do the deal'. (This was after hours)The buyer liked the painting and he said, "Might as well pay for it now." He had 25k in the Nelsons in his breifcase. :o They were counting it on my bench for about half an hour. Unfortunately, the buyer took the briefcase with him. So the other guy said to me "Errr have you got a bag? I can't carry all this about". It was a wad about 5" thick. "Sure", says I and got him a nice sturdy carrier bag.

The buyer left the painting in my care pending framing, which I thought would be a tasty little earner. :) As things turned out the buyer sold it a few weeks later for 10K profit. :x So I never got to frame it. And I had to cough up 30 quid to insure the thing. Neither one of them paid me for the stretching either. :? (or the carrier bag).

Fortunately, the dealer is a regular framing customer. He is paying for it. He just doesn't know it. :P
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Banks.... :twisted: + bloodcurdling Moggie growl

Given that they're so quick to charge one for the slightest thing, they're not so quick to give it back. Over the last couple of month's I've had a couple of delays with payments from my card merchant account into my current account, e.g:-

Stardate 24.12.08
- Customer card payment received, fully authorised, for €124.
- €124 appears on Z-totals for day
- €124 appears on End-of-Day Banking receipt.

Stardate 30.12.08
- €124 missing from branch ad hoc transaction printout.

Stardate 31.12.09
- Total card receipts for day: €250.
- Z-totals for day? €250
- BANKING total for day? €374 He-llo!!! :twisted:

Therefore something that should have been credited to my account on 29th December was not credited until 2nd January: at least, I'm assuming it was credited on 2nd January. Needless to say, they will have charged me interest for the "missing" days.

AIB's EDI network went pear-shaped for a couple of days the week before Christmas: not a huge problem for me, as most of my receipts are cash, although I did experience a minor glitch while processing one card payment.

What adds insult to injury is that a couple of months ago, my bank imposed a minimum monthly charge for terminal transactions (i.e. over and above the terminal rental fee). Most of my customers pay in cash, and this "minimum charge" means that my card transaction costs have increased typically by 100% per month.

Another slap in the face for the small guy. I am NOT a happy camper. :twisted:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Áine

Tell AIB that you are thinking of changing to Realex and see what they have to say….

Realex is a true alternative to AIB for Irish online payments, they are also in the UK now….

http://www.realexpayments.com/
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I just learned something interesting about deposits made through an ATM. Even though an ATM may be outside a bank accessed through a drive-through window or inside the bank lobby, deposits are not processed directly through the bank.

The currency dispensed from or deposits made into an ATM are handled by little gnome, third party people. You have probably been inconvenienced by their armored truck when they park willy-nilly and block traffic in a bank’s parking lot. These third party folks take the deposits and deliver them to a counting room hidden deep inside a dank cave (apparently somewhere in the Philippines). The receipts are process by dyslexic, blind scriveners and held for up to 4 days before they see the light of day and deposited into your bank.

This may explain why some deposits seem to take forever to show up in your statement.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Ta for the tip, Dermot! Will check it out. I'm very keen to find a way to accept card payments that is cost effective. If I didn't need the terminal (more for deposits than balances), then under my current deal, I'd dump it in the morning if I could.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
prospero

Post by prospero »

I finally got an electronic terminal just before Christmas. The last time my bank 'manger' paid one of his ever helpful visits he suggested I get one. £20 a month rental. Said I'd think about it......
Little did he know, half an hour before he called I signed up with a local comp for £15 a month. We all have our little secrets, ay what? :P It's nice just pressing a button at the end of the day rather than trailing out 16 miles to the nearest bank branch.....
gesso

Post by gesso »

This site can give you all the info that is available http://www.penaltychargesforum.co.uk/fo ... .php?f=286

You could register from this page and in my experience is well worth it . The knowlege that is available is immence!

to view the the great information they have to offer. This site was begun by the guy that started the whole ball rolling.
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Another thing that really annoys me is the situation where there is not enough money in the account to cover an outgoing direct debit: they withdraw the money from your account, and therefore charge interest on the overnight/weekend ( :twisted: ) balance, only to credit the rejected payment back to the account the next working day, along with the debit for the reversal fee. I think this practice should be illegal.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's Saturday Night! It's "Lets have a pop at the banks night!"

Too right. Have you noticed that bank charges/penalties never bounce. :shock:
gesso

Post by gesso »

The way things are heading it'll soon turn into 'Groundhog day' on this topic.
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

prospero wrote:...bank charges/penalties never bounce.
Painfully aware of this truth. :twisted:

And, I must say, it's cold out there today... ;)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB