Framing advice from the BBC

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

Framing advice from the BBC

Post by markw »

Just browsing the internet looking for a supplier when i noticed the BBC had an advice page for picture framing http://www.bbc.co.uk/antiques/antiques_ ... otos.shtml

Any comments?
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

Interesting but one bit confused me ... "Avoid self-adhesive archival tapes as the adhesive might be unsafe"

I guess that if the adhesive is unsafe then the tape isn't "archival".

The bit which made me smile was
"If you're going to do the framing yourself, you should be aware that unsealed wood can give off acid vapours which harm works of art and photos. The inside of the frame should be sealed with a frame-sealing tape (archival quality) that has an aluminium barrier"

Methinks that this would put anybody off "doing it themselves" - well anybody who was bothered about doing a proper job!
mick11

Post by mick11 »

I suspect from the terminology that this was written by an American, and not very well either.
Mick
-------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
James Miller
Organisation: ARTFRAME, Inc.
Interests: Picture framer; author of "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SHADOWBOXES AND FRAMING OBJECTS" and "MOUNTING OBJECTS WITH CLEAR FILM"; writer of feature articles for Picture Framing Magazine, USA; framing educator.

Post by James Miller »

Most technical compositions suffer much worse under the editor's pen than this one did. For its short length, most of the advice was valid, and generally plain enough to be understood by consumers.

According to the article, information was provided by Sharon Manitta. She's on the PR committee for UKIC. I agree that the writing style looks suspiciously American, but she probably isn't, is she? Perhaps the editor was the American.
Jim Miller
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

BBC

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

We discussed this at the FC meeting last Thursday at the Guild offices. Cannot see much worng with it to be honest, there are a few changes that could have been made, i.e. the use of water based gummed tape.....(Japanese tape and wheat starch paste should be used to hinge photographs), and I would never write on the back of a photograph with anything, but the Chair is endeavouring to find out who this writer was and her bonafides. Without getting into a Guild slanging match here, we still cant see where you were mislead?, as the basic GCF exam does not cover Museum grade framing, which some of the materials / methods mentioned in the article definatelt are. I will endeavour to answer you. Please email me directly and let me know.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

Hi Steven
I note that i asked for comments and didnt intend to get into a guild slanging match. I also emailed the guild to draw their attention to the article. My comment, For what its worth, is that the information given isnt realy appropriate for the intended audience and makes no reference to FATG or FATG standards.

I am suprised that the framing committee thought the info was appropriate - i agree that the article didnt give information that would harm a photograph - my argument would be that an organisation such as the BBC should be looking to the FATG to advise on such matters - that the guilds standards set out in a clear and unambigous manner how to handle such work. So, no guild slanging match there.

I would expect the guild to chase items like this quite hard - no point having FATG standards if no one outside the industry takes notice. What I would have liked to see would have been - photographs should be framed with the appropriate degree of care - the Fine Art Trade Guild recomend etc etc. - Good picture framers capable of undertaking such work display a badge proclaiming their qualification as Guild Commended Framers.

The fact that so few articles chase along this sort of line only helps convince me that the FATG dont do enough to push guild standards or qualifications.
mick11

Post by mick11 »

My comment, For what its worth, is that the information given isnt realy appropriate for the intended audience
My thoughts exactly. These articles are supposed to help and advise the average person that watches "The Antiques Roadshow", and other BBC programs,and I felt it fell well short of acheiving this, hence my comments.
Mick
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Why all the pussyfooting about the guild?

Mark's comments are so pertinent, but it seems that every time anybody offers a comment they must first make an apology in case offence is taken.

You would think that a body in decline would be eager to hear, and actively encourage, constructive suggestions from both members and non-members on what is going wrong, and how the situation might be improved.

Is it too late to approach the BBC with a bit of FATG spin? Is anybody trying?
FN
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

BBC Advice

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

Totally agree with markw and his comments about the Guild.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

Framing Norah
never been one to pussy foot - prefer a straight kicking myself - I rarley post any critiscm of the guild that i wont have made directly to someone there (FATG) at one time or another. I emailed the guild with my comments on the BBC article. I am quite critical of the FATG, but they are all we have. As mentioned before they would gain a lot by having an open forum. In fairness to Steven and others who have a position within the guild and who do post on this site - they are activley doing their bit and it would be churlish of me to dismiss that important contribution they make to all of our good. BUT I do feel that we have some distinct lack of vision and motivation within the system. (bit pussyfootish comment but i dont want to air what may just be my biased opinion of a couple of people). I think that a trade association that had any sense of direction would have pounced on this forum - i would expect anybody interested in the business and with a leading role to play within the business to post occasionaly - after all, to my knowledge this is the only uk based forum - it plays a major role in helping to inform, educate and give a voice to framers - even though it may occasionaly be critical of the FATG.