Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Manor Fine Arts

Ready Made Frames

Post by Manor Fine Arts »

Hi All

Im looking for your thoughts

Customers who produce ready made frames, wrapped in Shrink wrap, bought cheaply from contract framer outlets ( Sometime a mere fraction of the price) and ask for mounts to be cut to suit frame and their picture.
????????????????????
Should we accept the job and take the small profit
or
should we all as framers refuse. and leave the problem to the contract framer and customer,
Maybe next time they would get their complete framing done locally.

Paul
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

I happily take on these jobs, though not necessarily cheaply as conservation board is our minimum. And never at a loss for the time involved.

At the end of the day you have got someone through the door who might not gave done so otherwise. And you have an opportunity to reassure them that a bespoke framer does not bite and will offer help and guidance when the time comes to frame that something special.

Unless you are run off your feet making £100 - £200 frames, welcome everybody with open arms no matter how small the job.
FN
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Welcome

Never turn business down…….that’s what you are there for….

The price list I used when I was framing had various break downs.

Mount Standard
Mount Preservation
Spacers
Frame
Fitting Standard
Fitting Preservation
Refitting
Glazing
Hinge Mounting
Dry Mounting
Etc
Etc
Etc
PITA Charge…….Pain in the a*s charge

The above all equate to the various tasks that go into making a picture frame and finishing the job.

Each task was broken down by material, labour involved and size.

So for example if someone came in with a frame and wanted me to make a mount and fit the job …..they would get charged for the mount and fitting

Mount 12 x 10 Preservation €18.00
Fitting Preservation € 21.00
Total €39.00

Plus taxes

My last price list was based on €75.00 per hour which meant that a standard fit would work out at about €18.75 this would include backing board and hangers etc.

Based on this method of pricing I did not give a thought to what part of the framing job I got my time was always covered……I belive it is vital to take profit (Labour and Material) at all aspects of each job….this way you will not get caught out….

If you ever get a chance take Jay Goltz pricing class for framers…..he is possible the most successful framer in the world and runs a US$10 million (1997 Figure) framing business out of one location in Chicago…….and don’t fall for the attitude that they do things differentially in the US…..I have been to the US many times to trade fairs, education and to other framers and they do most things like we do in this part of the world…..big difference is that the make no apologies about wanting to make a decent profit.

You should also try and get Pricing Custom Framing by Vivian Kristler http://columbapublishing.com/shopsite_s ... uct74.html this is a wonderful book to get you on the right road for pricing …..it is available on line or through the PPFA and I’m sure that the FATG should also have it……. Vivian has published many books on picture framing all which are well written.

The pricing software EstLite that John has develop is super and it will allow you to quickly price any type of job regardless of whether it is just the shell of a frame, a mount, a reglazing, etc, etc.

The whole trick to successful pricing is to cover yourself for all aspects of the job this way it make no odds what type of work (part of a job or the full job) you take in……and make sure you have a realistic labor charge in there……….
Underpinner
Organisation: No business
Interests: Music, painting, reading

Ready Made Frames

Post by Underpinner »

I tell customers that I will make all of the frame or any part of it - and charge accordingly. This enables me to sell to those who bring in ready-made frames and also to the DIY framers who are unable to cut mitres and/or prefer not to handle glass. I understand how it can be a bit irritating when customers choose to "cut corners" (excuse the pun) in this way, especially when the frames they buy seem quite unsuitable for the proposed pictures. However, it is all business, and they may really NEED to keep their spending to a minimum. Look after these customers well and they will surely recommend others to come to you with bigger jobs.
John Williams
markw

Post by markw »

many of my best customers came in for a mount. Good friendly helpfull service will always win you customers. As for pricing - I charge them for what they get without loading it. We should all be aware of the customers budget - our job long term is to educate the customer into knowing that by having the work framed properly is a good decision - that chap who cut the mount for me and gave me lots of advice would be a good place to take future work.
Manor Fine Arts

Thanks for the input

Post by Manor Fine Arts »

I have taken everything on board, Many Many Thanks
Paul
JonC

ready mades

Post by JonC »

Yes we will cut mounts and finish ready mades if thats what the customer wants.
MAybe not as happily inside but it does not show
we charge £6:00 per 1/4 hour time involved plus mount cost and a £1 a holeJohnC
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Ready Made Frames

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Paul (hows everything?)

I know of one framer who charges, a minimum of £8 for a mount, then increases by size, and then £8 for the apperture, so thats a minimum of £16 before glass / MDF, etc. His apperture price remains the same throughtout.
For me, this is a bit over the top, when it could be done on an hourly rate, with basic mount pricing from our pricng programme, there is no need to charge twice!

Like most of the other postings, we normally dont turn anything away.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre