Framing Large Pastels

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
JDART
Organisation: Fastframe
Interests: Artist, painter, pastellist

Framing Large Pastels

Post by JDART »

Hi Everyone:

I would be grateful for some advice...

Any ideas on framing very large pastels?

Soft Pastel on Wallis archival paper on Dubond/Alupanel aluminium sheet 40x52" or bigger!

Glass or Perspex? Is a large sheet of glass too dangerous? and need to use Perspex and anti static spray?

Regards,

John
(Picture framing sales and artist)
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Framing Large Pastels

Post by JFeig »

Acrylic or glass will be fine. If you are using acrylic sheet, you have to have a much larger than normal air gap to reduce the particles from migrating to the acrylic.

When I did a 48" x 108" drawing for an artist friend, I used a 2 1/2" deep shadowbox moulding with a spacer that was 1 1/2" so that the art was 1 3/8" from the acrylic.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JDART

Post by JDART »

Thanks Jerome!

John
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Post by iantheframer »

On that size I would either us 4.4mm laminated glass or G&M Artshield. It has a non-scratch coating and less static than standard acrylic, still need a decent space though
Ian
ross

Post by ross »

a question for Jerome please

if your large pastel was set back over an 1" in the frame, how did you secure the piece to the back of the shadow box frame to hold it in place?

Thanks

Ross
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I have being to Jerry’s (Jerome’s) studio/workshop for training…..(super set up)

He most likely used pass through hinges….

He most likely used a moulding with a deep rebate….it is much easier to get that type of moulding in the us………….or he may have fully made a deep rebate moulding he has the capacity to do that…..

I had to build a very large frame one time I used a 75mm moulding and put 50mm batons on the back of the moulding to increase the depth of the rebate and then painted the outer edge of the batons black so that they did not show when the frame was hung…………Jerry was a great source of advice and guidance on that job…
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

This article has information on hinges

http://www.pictureframingmagazine.com/p ... eHinge.pdf
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

To answer both questions

The frame was custom a custom milled raw shadow box "cap" moulding -- approximately 3/4" at the top and about 3" deep with a 2 1/2" rabbit(rebate). In the case if this job, it received a simple buffed paste wax finish(4-5 coats of wax)

The one piece drawing was attached to 4 ply rag faced foam centered board. Standard mulberry paper and wheat paste were used (double thickness) in a "roll over the edge" technique. The art was the same size as the mount board. There were also several side hinges and bottom hinges that were "loose" to allow for movement installed. A wood strainer (inner frame) was behind the mount board and screwed into the frame. The 1 1/2" spacer was 1/8" foam centered board covered with the same 4 ply board to match. The acrylic was held in place with both the spacer and glazing points(the short version of the Fletcher Terry fitting points).

As I remember the artist used the French Canson paper roll(100% cotton) used by both water color artists and pastel artists.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JDART

Post by JDART »

Hi:

Thanks everyone for their help. Much appreciated...

I came across an article on the internet that stated that the French would frame large pastels with the glass touching the pastel!
I guess the worry would be condensation and damage to the image if it was reglazed. I wonder how Museums frame them?

Regards,

John/JDART
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Subject running on the G at present........read down through it they have covered the glass issue...

http://www.thegrumble.com/showthread.php?t=36912

BTW Hugh Phibbs (preservator) is one of the leading experts on framing in the world…..a number of years ago he was a great help to me on a preservation framing project I undertook in Ireland….

He works at the National Gallery of Art Washington DC

If you have a look around the archives of the PFM you will find many published articles by him… http://www.pictureframingmagazine.com/a ... index.html

Jim Miller is another leading expert, I have meet Jim a number of times……. you could bet the farm and not lose on Jim’s input about framing… he is one of the most honorable people you could ever meet……Jim is also another published framer….
JDART

Post by JDART »

Hi:
Thanks, I am very grateful for all the advice - the link was very helpfull.

I have researched an archival rigid and lightweight support for paper: Dubond or Alupanel aluminium sheets...

The sheets are used for road signage, very strong and lightweight. Two thin sheets of aluminium between a foam core. Perhaps drymounting paper onto that rigid, archival and lightweight surface framed with a deep box frame with an abrasion resistant acrylic is what I need for large pastels!

Kind regards,

John :)

Pastel Artist/Picture Framing- Sales