B&Q Art

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
sarah

B&Q Art

Post by sarah »

The following is from an article featured on the BBC breakfast programme this morning. It is something that really winds me up - trust me it doesn't take much. Why do people spend £100s on their personal appearance whether that be cosmetics/jeans/shoes but they won't invest even as little as £50 on a really good piece of art for their homes.

"Brown and swirly? It must be art

Harold's work is the best-seller at this furniture store
You may never have heard of Harold Feinstein. But the chances are that you've seen his pictures. You may even have one on your wall at home right now.
There's been a quiet revolution in taste in Britain over the last few years, according to art researchers.

We've ditched the repro old masters which we used to hang on our walls - in favour of abstract, disposable works, which we choose to suit our decor.

David Sillito took a trip to the furniture store IKEA - where the top-seller is a photo of a white rose by Harold Feinstein.

It's part of a trend, according to academics, to go for anonymous, disposable art.

But Mr Feinstein's luck may not last - because this season's most sought-after look "something brown and swirly" according to art psychologist Dr Alison Kydd.
"

Why why why??? ARRRGGGHHH
markw

Post by markw »

Sarah
people do invest hundreds on art for the their homes - the people who go and buy from the likes of Ikea may be one of your better customers one day - they just need to start buying art - when they appreciate how much good art can change their environment they start to spend more - and demand framing that suits the designs of their homes. Anything that starts people looking at framed art as an essential part of their decorating scheme can only do us good. I dont know about your business, but i now get customers in who want pictures reframed / remounted to suit their new colour scheme - i even had a very large Ikea picture in last week - the customer had spent £20 on the framed print - but didnt like the frame - all good business for me.
sarah

Post by sarah »

I wish I could be positive about this, but it has been my experience that some people can't see beyond the price, they have no notion of quality or conservation.

My most recent example being a 'lady what lunches' who just stepped out of her nice shiney BMW convertable and nearly fell on the floor when I told her that her three little pieces would be just over the £100 to frame (all 3) More invested in her image than her art.

In addition most of the folks buying from IKEA aren't going to buy essentially the same thing from us for nearly twice the price regardless of the fact it is an original piece of work rather than a Hong Kong knock off.

See your point Mark but sorry just don't agree. But hey wouldn't life be dull if we all agreed :wink:
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

B&Q

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

I agree with Markw, people are quite prepared to spend quite a bit on art for their homes, people today, I belive are more discerning about art and what they want. I also agree that most do not care about conservation or preservation, but thats our job to inform and educate, after all in sales mode we should all know about our product, but I also agree that some cannot see further than the price and then start what I call the 'lying to get out of buying it stage' What I mean is, they say things such as,

1. I was only looking
2. I cannot buy without consulting my spouse
3. I dont like the frame
4. The horse's foot is wrong
5. Theres too much sky and clouds

Theres a whole lot more, but you get the picture?

The one good thing IKEA do is simple, 'Marketing', if we could market our products and had the budget they had, they'd be queuing at the door. We can so all the promotion, mail shots, adverts we want to, but for some reason when ever you go into IKEA the place is always bunged to the rafters.

I once did a job for a marketing company, who was supplying a new hotel with all the artwork. The job wasnt too difficult, double obeche frames, painted white, plain glass and MDF backs (no pretence as to Conservation, etc), simple prints (provided by the marketing company) and sealed up and D ringed and handy wrapped. I asked the MD of the marketing company as to why these particular prints were used and not something that complemented the more modern type of framing, he answered like this: 'It wouldn't matter if you had framed a piece of toilet roll, all the hotel wants is hundreds of double obeche frames painted white, they are not looking for the artwork, and the interior designer choose the frames and prints, we just do as we are told'

Marketing! & Customer Education, is what it is all about. Its up to us to change people's ideals about art, once we crack that code......well I wont be writing on here, I wont have the time, they will be queuing at my door.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre