Don't we just love customers

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Don't we just love customers

Post by WelshFramer »

So how many of these did you get last week?

[youtube]R2a8TRSgzZY[/youtube]
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
barefaced framer
Organisation: is my middle name
Interests: Walking the Beagle, Tea Lady, Cook,Cleaner etc..etc....

Re: Don't we just love customers

Post by barefaced framer »

Brilliant :clap: :clap:
elly-d
Organisation: Framing Shop
Interests: Framing, Music, Sport, Camping and Hiking etc

Post by elly-d »

haha.

One I like to hear is 'How much? I only paid £10 for the print', Meaning that they expect the wood, mount, glass and backing boards plus my time to cost less than a shitty mass produced reproduction on crappy thin paper.

You ever get that? or is it just in this weird town.
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

elly-d wrote:You ever get that? or is it just in this weird town.
It's the same in London, even if the customer has paid a four-figure sum for a print by whichever current darling of the artworld their favourite style mag has told them to buy.

So you want a hand-finished frame which will take me hours, but you're expecting to pay me what you pay for a skinny latte and a danish pastry?

F*** off to IKEA
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

We get those bozos all the time, but I’m nonetheless taken aback each time one of them asks, “Can’t we do better than this?”

For years I have practiced witty retorts, but at the moment of truth, words always fail me.

This would be a great business if it weren't for the da*m customers!
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Post by iantheframer »

One of my favourites is the customer who phones and asks if we will sell just a piece of glass. We give them the price and they turn up with a broken frame with glass hanging out of the front and ask if they buy the glass can we “just change it over and mend the corners” They are then genuinely shocked when we say there will be a labour charge.
Ian
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Customer came in to collect today - she's a G.P.

Lat time she came in it was 'I thought that was the price for both - I never would have agreed to that much each"!

Er, well you did Missus we always end with the total amount, something like 'that comes out at £57 each, so £114'

Today it was "THAT wasn't the frame I chose'

Thing was she only came in on Sat - her job was done yesterday, order got put in the wrong pile, so we rung and she came in today. It was fresh in my mind. But I wasn't in the shop when she came in, my wife showed her everything that fitted the description of what she thought she chose, and it turned out to be pretty much everything I had gone through with her, but she said it was none of them and went on to describe a moulding we don't have!

I know it's right - I remember it - anyway - we always put everything away, leaving out only what is chosen before writing the order. Also her husband was with her first time and they disagreed on everything, but he wasn't with her today.

So now all I know is she thinks it's wrong but I don't know what she thinks she chose - so i'm just gonna stuff them in a drawer and gorget about them until she comes back - hope she doesn't.

Glad she's not my bleedin' GP "THOSE weren't the drugs I prescribed" - yeah, well, OK, but now I can't pee!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Haha. Doctors. They are all slightly mad IMHO. :? I had one that to get some really nice watercolours from somewhere or other. Framed quite a lot for him. One day he brought an especially good one in. It had a 1" ivory mount in a 3/4" hockey-stick gold frame. I really went to town on it. Washline mount and a very classy Spanish gold frame. It looked fantastic if I say so myself. I was very pleased with it. Anyway, he picked it up and away he went. Few days later he brought it back. :o His wife thought the mount was too wide. "Too wide for what?" I asked..... " Well she is used to seeing it in it's old frame..blah ...blah..." To cut a long story short, I ended up reframing it in practically to same way as it started. Looked carp, but who am I to argue? I flogged the first frame/mount I made to an artist mate of mine who did a painting especially to fit in it. :lol:

Another doc wanted some framed prints for his surgery. Picked out 3 and wrote a cheque. Then he saw another and decided he would have that as well. Then he saw another.... The cheque was not exactly legible to start with, but by the time he had altered/initialed it a few times..... Got a few funny looks when I went to pay it in. "It's from a Doctor", I explained. It went though OK, but I swear I could have taken it to Boots and got it made up into a cure for dropsy or something. :shock:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

new dental pracice opens up down the road.
for a bit of a dig, I add on £300 to the £40 frame, tell them I cant fit them in for five months, and tell them that I want to uneccesarily frame five others over the next six months before I'll even look at this one.

the reaction is pretty much as you would expect. A wallet attack, and the realisation that this framer is taking the p*ss.

I dont get the job, obviously.

But I think they got the message.

and I have about the same chance of finding an NHS dentist as they do of finding an NHS framer ;)
gesso
Organisation: The Gilders Studio
Interests: see above

Post by gesso »

I prefer this approach

[youtube]uVvcD4Czx4Y[/youtube]
Mark Fisher
www.thegildersstudio.co.uk (Now Closed)
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
stephen34
Organisation: Soggy Somerset
Interests: Photography

Post by stephen34 »

One of my customers is a vet. She is completely nice. May be something to do with the patients!
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

If only all our customers were that obliging !!

AND, if only we could be so objectionable sometimes with some of the twonks we have to deal with and get away with it !!

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
chloecapulet
Organisation: Upgrade Frame & Moulding
Interests: Music, Movies

Post by chloecapulet »

framejunkie wrote: It's the same in London, even if the customer has paid a four-figure sum for a print by whichever current darling of the artworld their favourite style mag has told them to buy.

So you want a hand-finished frame which will take me hours, but you're expecting to pay me what you pay for a skinny latte and a danish pastry?

F*** off to IKEA

cant agree with you more...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Upgrade Frame & Moulding
http://www.framemouldingwood.com