Pricing Crisis

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
jay

Pricing Crisis

Post by jay »

Having a mini crisis here...........feels big though as I am busy doing last minute work for an exhib.

Could anyone tell me what they would charge for the following........

moulding 1000mm x 726mm (glass size) at £5.67, 2 coats of paint, limed & waxed

Artcare single mount with bevel accent (which i have never used before and have no idea how to price!)

Artcare 5mm foamcore back

2mm standard float glass with art back water resist backing board.

I usually start to feel faint when I start to price up bigger jobs (there are 4 of these) and start fiddling around with the price until I feel happy asking for the amount rather than what it actually should be!!

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated, have to get these out the door tomorrow.

Jay
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Re: Pricing Crisis

Post by absolute framing »

Quicky to get out of your predicament

minimun cost of materials x 3 + vat
Stephen Strahan
jay

Post by jay »

Thanks Stephen for replying so quickly!

x3 materials + vat works out at £198.45 - around the same price I came up with originally,but it gave me the collywobbles!!

I assume then that it has to be in the right ballpark :?

I will just have to muster the courage, and remember the amount of work that went into them when I hand over the invoice........... :sweating:

Cheers

Jay
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I got it to £212 per frame. Not the sort of job I would want as a rush job on a Friday though.

John.
danchip1
Organisation: Devon
Interests: Doing the right thing
Cooking and eating curry

Post by danchip1 »

This pricing is a funny business,
I can suffer from thinking it is too much but have found the best solution is just to SAY IT AS IT IS!!! If they have a heart attack, the chances are they wouldnt have wanted to pay even if it was half the amount. If they are umming and aahing, it leaves ground for negotiation / and / or selling the product. Nine times out of ten, the reaction is, "When can you do it by?"
Theres only so many times I will work for nothing before i get ruthless, um..., sorry, confident in telling them the amount!!
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

If I were doing that job and using a multiplier to get an approximate price, I would use at least x4 plus tax. Perhaps even as high as x5 plus tax.
How much does a plumber or mechanic charge per hour up there? You want at least the same as they get, plus a profit on your materials, plus enough to cover ALL your business costs. Unless of course you are a charity and don't need to make a profit!

If you, as the business owner, get sticker shock at the price, then the customer will read you and get it too!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'd be £218, assuming the moulding price per metre is after hand finishing.
jay

Post by jay »

Cheers Guys!

Thanks for all your replys - they helped me go with my original price with confidence!

Customer has just left with pictures - absolutely delighted. :D

He didn't bat an eyelid, wince, take a sharp intake of breath, or even blink, when I handed him the invoice ( I was watching him very closely) :wink:

He is a new artist customer, used to paying around £100-£120 for frames from his previous framer. When I pointed out the brown bevels he was horrified and wanted a quality job on these four. He was obviously prepared to pay what it cost as he didn't want a price when he left them with me.

Now I just need to go figure why I found this one so difficult. :?

Robo (or anyone?)
How do you price bevel accents - with/without Estlite?

Once again, much appreciated.

Jay
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

There you go, he paid for quality and possibly overpaid for lesser quality previous.

Bevelled accents cost around £1 per foot ex VAT, I charge £4 per foot incl VAT to the glass size; not the aperture size. (Sorry, I'm a metric martyr!)

So a bevelled accent in a 20x16" frame, regardless of aperture size, would cost £24, not cheap!