Framing a Cricket Shirt

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Twin Peaks
Organisation: Home sweet home
Interests: Music (Hendrix, Zep, Blues - you get the idea), Pre-Raph Art, Photography

Framing a Cricket Shirt

Post by Twin Peaks »

I have an order pending to frame a cricket shirt, full length as it is signed by Alan Lamb. Would be interested in members experiences of which is the best way - foamboard or hangar. Photos would be much appreciated to illustrate. :rock:
Nigel Nobody

Re: Framing a Cricket Shirt

Post by Nigel Nobody »

I use an Artcare foamboard former cut to fit inside the shirt. Mount onto Alphamat of appropriate colour for the background. Attach-Ez from the back through the Alphamat and into the foamboard inside the shirt.

Heres one signed by Phillip Hughes who is playing in the Aussie side and getting a thrashing by you Poms at the moment. Lets not talk about that too much!
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

This one's not a cricket shirt, but is done using exactly the same methods as the one above. The top mats are designed differently.

prospero

Post by prospero »

Great designs Ormond. I'm absolutely bowled over. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Thanks, Prospero.
The first one is my 'bog standard' design and the second is a special design.
ross

Post by ross »

The question I would ask about the second example is "is it wise to overlay items in front of the jersey?" In time there will be some fading and if one were to remove the jersey it will more than likely reveal different colouring in those areas where something has been over it

This jersey could well be a premiership jersey - Hawthorne won the AFL 2008 flag last year - so for all the conservation techiques used in framing it, haven't you exposed it to light damage

Ross
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That's an interesting question - I've seen lots of impressive designs with stuff over the jersey and I've done it myself too.

So, has the jersey been exposed to light damage or has part of it been saved from light damage???

What's it signed in I wonder - a Sharpie? They're about as lighfast as something that's not lightfast - put the photos over those bits!
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Ross,
You raise a very good point. There will no doubt be some fading and the parts of the jersey underneath the objects will definitely not fade as much as the parts exposed to the light. The signatures are always done with felt or fibre tipped pens, which will fade and probably disappear in time. The fading of the parts under the objects will be minor compared to the fading of the signatures.

There are many factors involved in framing these things and it's my aim with every job to use the most preservation methods and materials that the customer's wallet will allow. It's also my aim, within reason, to provide my customer with what they ask for. Having said that, there is a level that I will not go below. I will not staple jerseys, I will not glue them in, I will not use standard or 'acid free' matboards, I will not use anything of a lesser quality than Artcare foamboard inside the jersey, I will not 'smooch' them up against the glass and I will not use MDF!

It's often not possible to convince a customer to pay the extra for UV glass either. It's all about balance!
I've been framed
Organisation: Private
Interests: Framing, sport, art

Post by I've been framed »

With respect to the above comment, I have 2 questions. When the sleeves have been folded back over onto the shirt are they pinned somehow, or small sawing points? And also, when the foam core is fitted into the shirt, how is the shirt fitted securely? I'm guessing either to the bottom of the boxing, or to the back of the framed area where a coloured mat would be, but I'm not sure how without cutting into the back of the shirt (which I'm obviously not going to do). Any advise would be great.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

I've,
I sometimes include a former inside the sleeves, sometimes not.
The shirt/foamboard combination are held onto the Alphamat backing using Attach-Ez, working from the back through the foamboard. That way they are invisible from the front.

Using a needle and thread in the same fashion works too, but takes a lot more time.

Never even think about cutting or altering any item brought in for framing!
I've been framed

I'm not familiar with what Attach-Ez is/are? I should clarify that I'm just an amature (actually an Industrial Technology teacher) who frames from time to time as a bit of a hobby. I only have probably 10 or so under my belt.

Another technique that I've seen is making basically an acrylic coat hanger that comes up through the neck then folds back on itself and is fitted to the backing. It means that the shirt is not tight, but might be easier to achieve. Any thoughts?

Do you/anyone else around Qld or NSW Australia, know of art stores that stock much framing stuff (like Atach-EZ)? I get matboards from Riot, and pre-adhered foamcore from a private art store but they don't have much framing gear.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Attach-EZ is a tag gun that fires nylon tags like you find on clothes price tags - but adapted a bit here and there - plus there's some very good 'how to' DVDs.

But you don't need it and nor do you need a foam board insert, all you need is a needle and thread - the hems on dresses and trouser legs are stitched invisbly - the exact same can be done on a sports shirt - but it's a skill - and if you don't already have it then buying a tag gun is a better option than learnintg it.

Only thing is - it's easy to push a needle through a trouser/skirt hem - not so easy to push it through mounting board - so maybe an option would be foam board, which is easy to pass a needle through - but you could cover that foam board with fabric first.

Or of course you could just speculate to accummulate - or just save some time by buying one of these complete with DVD.

http://www.attach-ez.com/
I've been framed

Ok so I just did some research on it and I think I understand the concept- I don't think its worth it for me to invest in equipment like this at this stage. I think though that my punching a couple of holes close together in the mat, I could saw through by hand.

I've got an Ricky Ponting signed Australian Test shirt too by the way incase anyone is interested in knowing (and I just wanted to brag!!).
markw

Post by markw »

Who is Ricky Ponting?

Attach EZ is a great tool - and for most shirts used sparingly does a great job. My only concern with the Attach EZ is the size of the needle - it can leave a big hole in some of the newer materials used to make sports tops. I had to frame some cycling shirts the other day, they were in such fine nylon that almost anything seemed to damage the surface - stitching on a major seam with a very fine needle was the only way to do it.
avantime

Post by avantime »

I've been framed wrote:Ok so I just did some research on it and I think I understand the concept- I don't think its worth it for me to invest in equipment like this at this stage. I think though that my punching a couple of holes close together in the mat, I could saw through by hand.

I've got an Ricky Ponting signed Australian Test shirt too by the way incase anyone is interested in knowing (and I just wanted to brag!!).

Would that be "The" Ricky Ponting - only the second Australian captain in Cricket history to lose 2 Ashes series in England?!!