Carrier bags

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

Carrier bags

Post by markw »

I am just about to run out of large carrier bags - so have just reordered 1000 30"x20" bags. At 18p a bag they are a significant cost but one that I feel add considerably to the professional image of my business. I know that many framers wrap the frame in brown paper - or bubblewrap - I like to show the customer what they are getting - I am proud of the work done - they get a chance to check that all is as ordered. My carrier then acts as advertising for my business and being fairly robust they seem to appear all over the place - 18p can then seem to have been well spent. How do you package your work?

I have had very good service from Oversolve 01159410600 for many years - large carriers in heavy weight polythene £178 thousand. if you want your business name etc on the sides you have to pay a one off charge for the plate - if you consider the cost of advertising in a local paper this amounts to about 4 ads - get the message right on the bag and you have a lot of ads being walked about for you.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Mark,

We use brown kraft paper, and find its one-size-fits-all property very appealing. However you do make a good case for the printed bag.

Do you keep a range of sizes?
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Carrier Bags

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Markw,

Carrier bags are a great idea, and you seem to have it sussed with your supplier, which I will give a ring. Most of the people we have contacted in the past wnated a minimum order of 10000 or more, some even had a minimu order of 25000, and they wanted this in each size not, over a few differing sizes.

We normally wrap our finished work with handy wrap, we have been doing this for many , many years, and nothing else, like you we like to let the customer see what they are getting. I cannot understand why framers prefer to wrap the work up in bubble wrap and corrugated paper before letting the customer see, seems a waste of time and effort, as I wouldnt leave a shop without checking the good first...would you?

By the way, I almost got to your shop on Thursday 18th August, the day after the Nilesen rep was with you, but you know women!, I ended up in Cardiff collecting 2 golf trolly batteries for my father-in-law, (long way to go for 2 batteries, eh?), and she said she was on holiday, and holidaying she was for doing, so I spent a few days sunbathing in the Brecon Beacons, watching the RAF low flying.....while she holiday'd her way.......shopping. I did go to Snowdonia with the artist we were staying with for a Celtic Arts show, and had a ball, got more sun.....then a few days in Blackpool, so sorry....next time we are in the Brecons, (November this year) we will pay you a wee visit, and have a day out your direction.

Pssssst....Chubby Brown..live in Blackpool....what a show....cant wait untile he comes to 'Sarah's sunny Belfast' in November. Hey Sarah.....not sun shining down my way......today (for a change)

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Like Steve I also used Handy Wrap (I love that stuff I even stick a roll in my case when going on holidays in the event that a case may get trashed and it is great for wrapping the kids with if the get a bit unruly……and for my wife….NO I won’t go there :shock: )……..it is also an excellent for my new business.

One thing I just bought is a roll of very heavy 760mm (different widths are available) PE Tubing Clear which is the tubing that plastic bags are made from the advantage is that you can cut it to suit any length……..this could also be overprinted with your name…….the roll I bought cost me Euro €26.00 + VAT collected from VENTAMAC in Dublin Tel: +353 (0) 1 620007…..you can get all sorts of other packaging products from this company including the brown gum tape....

In addition in the South of Ireland there is a tax 14cent€ on plastic shopping bags, using plastic tubing eliminates this bit of administration………..

Good topic

Rgs

Dermot
markw

Post by markw »

John
I keep a couple of sizes in stock - 20" x 30" and 20" x 24" - but i am going to get in a smaller size when i run out of 20 x 24s - The same print block can be used - and will determine how small i can go. I am always amused at the number of "wrinklies" who bring the bag back.

I was sent a sample some time ago by a firm who made huge bags that were aimed specifically at the picture market - put the card in a safe place - will find it one day.

The price of bags goes down dramatically if you order large quantities but i find that a thousand bags will last about 12 months. I have never understood why the Fine Art Trade Guild dont offer a guild branded solution to wrapping / packaging pictures - did mention it once to the FATG but never got a reply.

Steven - glad you didnt come - I was closed! You will be most welcome when you next venture over.
Joe

Post by Joe »

We shrink wrap everything with clear acrylic corners or use polypropylene resealable bags.
The L sealer was a big outlay but the results are terrific - customers even bring the corners back.

Joe
SquareFrames
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Carrier Bags

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Markw,

Good job then, eh? hahahahahahaha..Next time we will call, as long as its not a Thursday, I would have blamed the Nielsen rep anyhooo

Anyhow...the Guild do carrier bags, but at this time I am unsure whether they are for members use!!!! I had a quite a few that were left here after a mini trade show I organised a couple of years ago, s put them to good use. Only draw back was the size, they are the same size as ordinary grocery bags, so only good for smaller items. I rang that number and am awaiting some samples.

Talk soon

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
markw

Post by markw »

Steven
The guild understand well the need to push their image at trade shows but show little marketing skills when it comes to the general public. A reasonably priced source of bags available to gallerys could carry all sorts of positive messages to customers about the merits of having your work framed properly - you might even get to the stage where the public recognised the FATG symbol as one that means something.

I had plans to change the image on my bags to include the FATG logo but ran out of bags before i got the artwork done.
SquareFrames

Carrier Bags

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Markw,

I have sent an email to the Guild, to see if these carrier bags are available for membership use. For me I cannot see why they wouldnt be, but..........I agree they are missing out here, but we will see what flies up the flag pole?

Talk soon,

Steven

PS
You havent (by any chance) got a spare magnetic head for a casess 810 underpinner?
GCF Examination Centre
SquareFrames

Carrier Bags

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Markw,

Just to keep you up to date, I got an answer from the Guild on Thursday afternoon, they are discussing the possibility and feasability. I will be over at a FC meeting on the 15th Sept, so I will hear first hand how they are getting on, if I dont hear before hand. I'll let you know how discussions are progressing.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre