Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
rmerre
Organisation: Expressions
Interests: Creating Art!

Shadowboxing gold sword

Post by rmerre »

I am about to undertake shadowboxing a gold sword in the next few weeks. This is a substantially valuable piece and I always like to use conservation materials of course. Does the sun have any negative affect on gold and jewels like it does photos and matting? I would use UV protection glass anyways just to protect the board it's being mounted on at least but should I upgrade to Museum glass or is that not necessary? Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this area. Plus could you suggest a successful mounting system you have used in the past for swords... just want some different opinions. Thanks!
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Re: Shadowboxing gold sword

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

How long / heavy is the Sword?
You could try Mighty Mounts From Lion Click Here (or page 61 in the Catalogue)Then it could be taken out easily and cleaned. You might need to be careful using them if the sword is very heavy.
If not you would need to use something like Super softstrand wire or small clear cable ties. That all depends on how heavy the sword is.
If it is heavy you might like to think about using 1/4" ply-wood in the back to fix it all onto
A glass like Schott Mirogard would look good.
Not sure if you would need museum glass, I don’t think gold fades.
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

If the customer is willing to pay for museum glass, then use it... the extra clarity always looks great on deep boxes! If you haven't got the truview sample box give 'em a ring and get one - you can show the customer the (big!) difference.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
danchip1
Organisation: Devon
Interests: Doing the right thing
Cooking and eating curry

Post by danchip1 »

Kung foo supplies on this one
do they use swords in kung foo??

I am ready to stand corrected, is the difference between museum and UV glass lie in the non reflective quality of the museum glass. And that actually a product such as TVCC has better filtering, (98%) than museum glass.
If Museum is being used in regard to conservation, the only thing it would offer is better clarity but at the cost of less UV filtration
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I would be careful of using Mighty Mounts. They are made of a type of plastic that tends to craze and break after a few years. It may be a result of an exposure to light (not necessarily UV, but I’m not sure).

I have had a few coin holders returned because inexplicably the “finger holder” thingies have simply broken off. There was no evidence that the frame had been under any stress.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine