VAT going up soon?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

VAT going up soon?

Post by Not your average framer »

I didn't catch all the details, but there was something on a BBC radio broadcast about the VAT going up soon.

Does anyone know when this is due to happen?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Re: VAT going up soon?

Post by iantheframer »

The fall to 15% was a temporary thing it will go back to 17.5% in December (not sure if that is at the start or the end).
Ian
barefaced framer
Organisation: is my middle name
Interests: Walking the Beagle, Tea Lady, Cook,Cleaner etc..etc....

Post by barefaced framer »

It goes back up to 17.5 % on 1 January 2010- brilliant timing! :head:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Well it only goes to show that this govenment does not care about what they are doing, or the effects this will have on the companies and the employees in the retail sector.

All the big chains of shops will start their sales immediately after Christmas, but then have to re-price everything for the 1st of January. How is this supposed to be done? It's nuts!!!!

The 1st is a public holiday and after the New Years Eve parties most of their staff will still be hung over from the evening before. Good idea Mr Brown!!!!

I can see why this govenment is doing this......The extra VAT from the January sales is more important to them than either the profits, or the economic survival of a struggling retail sector.

Many of these retail companies are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. hoping the boost from the January sales will either save their company or perhaps the jobs of some of their employees.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

The multiples will sneakily increase their prices throughout December and then have an advertisng campaign in January "NO VAT INCREASES!"

The sales will also aid the hiding of price increases.

We will probably not increase our framing prices in January and look at a higher increase later in the year if the economy can stand it.

RobinC