aldergladeframes
Organisation: Uxbridge
Interests: Picture framing.
TableTennis

Medal framing

Post by aldergladeframes »

Hi all,

need help!!!!

I have recently framed 19 medals in the same frame, some with ribbons and some without. After approximately 4 months
it has been reported to me that a couple of medals have slipped to the bottom of the frame. I have to
admit that some of the medals are rather heavy and I suspect it to be those in question.
he initial adhesive was silicon.
Does anyone have experience in this field and can advise me how to correct this permantly.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Regards
John :sweating:
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Re: Medal framing

Post by Bill Henry »

There are two types of military medals we commonly see.

If it is a medal with pins soldered on the back designed to push directly through fabric and to be held in place with a spring-like fastener thingie, we just push the pin through the backing material (usually mount board) and attach the fasteners. If the fasteners have lost their ‘grabbiness’ we sometimes put a dab of clear nail polish on the points. Nail polish will hold fairly well without stress, but is weak enough so that the fastener can be removed if necessary.

If it is a medal with a jewelry type clasp like this

we generally punch two pin holes in the mount and thread monofiliment fishing line through the back of the mount and loop it through the closed, locked clasp. The fishing line is then taped or glued from the back of the mount. If the monofiliment is tight, the medal cannot slide from side to side.

Both of these methods are reversible since no adhesive is in contact with the medals.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

Hi John

Try this item:
http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... als#p30966

or put "medals" into search and it will throw up a lot about it, Roboframer has written a lot and also has loaded piccys.

Many thanks to Robo

regards Ian
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Ditto to Ian's recommendation!

It's best not to use silicone or any other adhesive, on medals, coins or any other objects.
By using a mechanical method of mounting, as in Robo's instructions, there is no risk of damage and it is easily and completely reversible!

"Reversible" is one of the most important words to keep in mind when mounting anything in a frame. Sometimes it can be a challenge, but it is always possible!

Jim Miller's books have many great ideas for mounting objects and IMO every frame shop should have these! The cost will be recouped in one or two mounting jobs! "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SHADOWBOXES AND FRAMING OBJECTS" and "MOUNTING OBJECTS WITH CLEAR FILM."
aldergladeframes
Organisation: Uxbridge
Interests: Picture framing.
TableTennis

Post by aldergladeframes »

Hi all,

thanks for the tips chaps, I will take all this on board....

The offending medal is pretty heavy as medals go and is 5cm across, there is no ribbon attached
so it's not going to be as easy as I thought. The other medals are all fine but they have ribbons, and I
have dealt with those in the usual way.
The heavy medal was attached in the frame to a backing of felt so I would need a product to adhere to this.

Thanks for any suggestions
John
:cry: