Discourageing Dust & Debris

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Framing Norah

Discourageing Dust & Debris

Post by Framing Norah »

Is it worthwhile to tape round the edge of the the glass/mount/back sandwich in order to exclude stuff from behind the glass?
FN
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Norah. OK I will be the first to reply and possibly drop myself in it.

I must admit that I only make a ' taped sandwich' if I am told that the frame is going into a bathroom or kitchen, where there is a likelyhood of steam/condensation.

Baseball bat at the ready!!!!!!
John GCF
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Post by Coxby »

I tape all pictures, it only takes a minute and it is a joy having sealed blocks you can pick up and move around without worrying about repositioning it all the time. The best way is to use P90 and only lightly tack it to the glass, bend it under the whole sandwich and trim around the inside of the tape with a 'Hassle Free' Paper Trimmer available from Lion; thus leaving you with enough overlap which doesn't peep out from under the moulding rebate.

More So

Post by More So »

We only use the taping method when using a moulding that is a bit rough on the back and prone to shed debris. It saves time in the long run.

I have noticed though, that as the eyesight is affected by the passing years, I seem to get fewer specks behind the glass. :)
You will never get the last word on a belligerent buffoon
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

This is starting to become - nay IS - a Hint and Tip thread!
As a beginner in this game with only 12 months part time experience, bits of fluff and dust behind the glass are my biggest problem. They never seem the be never there though until I have pinned in the backing board - I always seem to have to pull out the tabs and start the sandwich again.
So ..... taping up the sandwich would give me more headaches methinks!
Any advice on making sure there ain't no bits there in the first place?
Alan
markw

Post by markw »

Air - I couldnt cope without an air supply - just blow all the debris out of the frame. keep a small flat artist brush close at hand - give it a bit of static charge by wiping it over your skin - and gently remove any little hickies that have invaded your clean space.

The obvious advantage of taping the sandwich is that you start with a clean chunk of work - the dust tends to creep in as you bash in pins etc - just lifting the back sucks in muck.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

When you are making up the framing package assemble everything from the backing up to the glass……then stand the glass vertically on it’s edge and carefully let it free fall back onto the package …..that’s right let it whack down to blow out any loose dirt ……………….this will generally get rid of most of the bits of dirt that you never see before assembling the frame package………

Some of the conservation people (I’m talking those people who have to repair damage to art and art on paper) are nervous of the taped frame package in case the image/art ever got loose from it’s hinging……there could be a possibility of damage from the art coming in contact with the adhesive on the tape used to seal the assembled frame package………..and there is also something to do with the free movement of the mounts…………….

The subject of taping the frame package was discussed on the Grumble a few time ……..and some very valid arguments from both camps (for taping and against taping) were made……..I tended to agree with the against taping camp…….as the reasoning made good sense to me at the time………it might be worth a search through the Grumble archives on this subject…..this is one of those simple but possible complex bit about the care of art……

I would be careful of wiping the anti static brushes over your skin least you transfer the oils from your skin to the art …….better to run the brush across the screen of your computer…….again one of those nagging things that must be considered when it comes to the care of art….

Good luck

Dermot
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

The package

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

I used to use the sealed package when framing to Conservation / Museum standards only, i.e. when the actual object being framed is of either collectable quality or has to be kept for future useage, etc. Over the years I have got into the habit of using the package for items such as Limted Editions, original watercolurs and now digitally printed photographs. For some reason, (I am no scientist, so dont know the real reason, but I am sure someone out there will know), there are a lot more piddly little bugs about, thunderflies, etc., apparently numbers being made worse this year by the distinct lack of bees, and expecially this year, wasps, so for that reason alone I would use the package, which seals the mounts and especially the artwork form these.

The Fine Art Trade Guild's position seems to be, would prefer the package being used for anything above Conservation standard, which I tend to agree with, but this is mainly down to each framers preference. Although not mentioned as 'a requirement' for the GCF examination or the GCF Advanced modules so far, therefore if the Conservation piece is not packaged the candidate cannot be marked down, but it is always remarked upon to the candidate as an alternative / extra method of protection.

My advice to all my students going through my framing school is this: use the package either all the time (as some framers do) or use it for the more quality jobs, but always ensure the labour is refelcted in the price given.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

thrips - thunder bugs - call them what you like - they seem to love getting inside frames. In my part of the cotswolds we rarely saw them - but ever since we became "a yellow and pleasant land" - since the local farmers started planting oil seed rape,they have become a real pest. Having said that I have had at least 6 frames in today for thunderbug removal - they help generate some business - maybe I ought to start breeding them. :twisted: