PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
HamptonCaught
Organisation: Design Consultants
Interests: Photography, art, travel, squash

Large print to be bonded onto acrylic

Post by HamptonCaught »

Hi

I have a large photographic print which is 2.6M wide x 40cm deep. This needs to be bonded onto high quality acrylic, but I am having trouble finding a supplier that can handle a print of this size.

The other problem I have is that I don't think the finished print will fit in my car, but I guess I'll worry about that issue when it arises! I am in Cambridgeshire, so to make collection/delivery easier, it may help to find a local supplier, but I'd be very grateful if anyone can suggest a company that could do this work, regardless of where they're located.

Many thanks for any help.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Large print to be bonded onto acrylic

Post by Not your average framer »

I am not surprised that you are having trouble finding a supplier who can do this for you.

However, there is often someone on this forum who knows where to get all sorts of things done, but if not, I would try contacting a local sign making supplier, as I would suspect that they are more likely to be equiped to handle something this size. You may have to phone a few, before finding one who also stocks high quality acrylic.
I hope this helps,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
HamptonCaught

Post by HamptonCaught »

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply - I'll do as you suggest and look through 'Good Old Yellow Pages' for sign makers.

I know this can be done - the print came from Germany and I saw the exact same print that had been bonded onto acrylic over there - I just need to find a UK supplier!

Thanks again.
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Have you tried these guys?

http://www.kaymounting.co.uk/KM/Diasec_UK.html

if they can't do it they may know someone who can
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

all you need is to find someone with a cold press laminator

an some of the hotpress transperancy mount film

i could do it for you, but i am in dublin

might be worth ringing steve goodall from hotpress for s suggestion of a client
HamptonCaught

Post by HamptonCaught »

Thanks for all your help, guys - it's much appreciated.

framemaker - I'm waiting for Kay Mounting to get back to me.

stcstc - I hope i haven't given you the wrong end of the stick, but I'm not sure why you mention 'transparency mount film'? The photographic print needs to be bonded onto a sheet of rigid (I would guess maybe 6-10mm thick) acrylic. That's what I'm after - sorry if you already realise that, but not being involved in framing myself, some of the technical language is lost on me!

Thanks again.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

oh sorry i thought you wanted the print mounted behind the acyrlic

if its ontop of the acrylic then its a product from hotpress called double sided mount film
HamptonCaught

Post by HamptonCaught »

Hi stcstc

As I said, my ignorance of the technical jargon leaves me exposed.

I do want the print to be mounted behind the acrylic. The one I saw in Germany was bonded to the acrylic (float mounted?) with the acrylic sheet (I would guess approx. 6-10mm thick) in front of the photographic print. I have no idea what was behind the photographic print (presumably, a sheet of board/card to act as protection), but it was definitely bonded to the acrylic using some kind of bonding agent.

Thanks again.
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

The process you describe is called Diasec, and Kay Mounting do it better than anyone else in London, as far as i am aware. There may be someone nearer to you who does it, but if not you'll be in safe hands at Kay Mounting. They are unsurpassed in my experience for Diasec and for drymounts onto aluminium.

I don't get a discount from them, but I plug them often enough on here that i perhaps should ask for one :cash: :cash: :cash:
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

ah you do want to do what i first suggested

transparency mount film is an optically clear sheet of glue which goes between the print and the acrylic

the diasec process is slighly different in that it uses a paste glue instead
circles_of_confusion

Post by circles_of_confusion »

The transparent adhesive film is humungously expensive. A roll of it costs over £300. That's if you manage to source a piece of acrylic the size you want. However, Steve Goodhall of Hotpress sold me a tester roll of the clear adhesive which cost £60 for 5 meters. I think they are still selling that size. For your particular job you'll need half the roll.
Having said that I wouldn't attempt it yourself if you have no experience of that kind of work. You need to peel off as you roll through. You'll need a cold roller and you'll need a carrier the length of the work with a slab of something that is the identical thickmess as the the acrylic that you are using.
It is so easy to stuff it up and dust is is a real bu**er.....
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

well i go through quite a bit of that stuff, the retail price in the hotpress catalogue is 255 +VAT for 25m of 650mm wide

it does take some skill and practice to get it right

and the main problem is the dirt, i have a anti static setup, as when you peel the liner off the film it generates a huge amount of static, which just drags in any dirt etc in the area
HamptonCaught

Post by HamptonCaught »

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread - how did we manage before the internet came along?

Kay Mounting can do it. The only drawback is the cost, which is more than the print itself! I'm in no doubt that it will look fabulous though. Serves me right for buying such a huge print without considering how it was going to be mounted.

Thanks again.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

oooo be very careful, only certain papers will actually work with this method

if its an art type paper you wont get a proper bond, you will get whats called silvering

the print has to be on a very very smooth paper
gesso
Organisation: The Gilders Studio
Interests: see above

Post by gesso »

Hi mate if you havnt got this done yet give us a call

0207 749 0618

mark
Mark Fisher
www.thegildersstudio.co.uk (Now Closed)
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
gesso

Post by gesso »

framejunkie wrote:The process you describe is called Diasec, and Kay Mounting do it better than anyone else in London, as far as i am aware. There may be someone nearer to you who does it, but if not you'll be in safe hands at Kay Mounting. They are unsurpassed in my experience for Diasec and for drymounts onto aluminium.

I don't get a discount from them, but I plug them often enough on here that i perhaps should ask for one :cash: :cash: :cash:

Im afraid to disagree with you

diasec is just one Tradename for this process
There are basically three companies that can do this size work, Kay mount ( a john Jones company), Artfinish and A Bliss.
try http://www.artfinish.co.uk
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
HamptonCaught

Post by HamptonCaught »

Hi Gesso - A. Bliss can't handle it - the picture is too big.

I'll call you next week.

Many thanks

Paul
framejunkie

Post by framejunkie »

gesso wrote: framejunkie wrote:The process you describe is called Diasec, and Kay Mounting do it better than anyone else in London, as far as i am aware. There may be someone nearer to you who does it, but if not you'll be in safe hands at Kay Mounting. They are unsurpassed in my experience for Diasec and for drymounts onto aluminium.

Im afraid to disagree with you
You shouldn't be afraid Mark - I bow to your greater knowledge on this. And stcstc for that matter :oops:
gesso

Post by gesso »

out of respect for my fellow members that I word my posts thus. We should do lunch sometime as we're now neighbours

First pints on me Simon
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
framejunkie

Post by framejunkie »

Gawd bless yer guvvna.
:beer: