PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
LeFrisp
Organisation: James Makes Frames
Interests: My hobby is hobbies

Glass cleaning

Post by LeFrisp »

Peeps
I have just spent two of the most frustrating hours of my life, I have been trying to clean glass with Lion dilutable glass cleaner. What a PITA. more streaks than Erica Rowe ( showing my age there).
It got me thinking Whats the best way. One framer I know has a Bath with a shower head set up and simply washed them and dries and polishes with clean T towels

how do you clean yours?
Who Makes Frames? - James Makes Frames!
Dermot

Re: Glass cleaning

Post by Dermot »

Wipe the edges first and then clean from the middle out, dont draw the wipe back into the middle.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

LeFrisp wrote: I have been trying to clean glass with Lion dilutable glass cleaner.
The pink stuff?

I ordered some of that just to try it, but forgot to order my normal stuff, so that's all I have at the mo' and I'm having no problems at all.

I sometimes spray the glass and I sometimes spray the cloth, 'the cloth' is a bundle of cheap microfibre cloths that I first clean with and then turn over to dry with.
Teresa
Organisation: The Frameworks
Interests: good food, good wine, good friends, travel, live music,

Post by Teresa »

The one and only good thing about Wessex is their glass cleaner. best cloth to use are flannelette sheets loads available at any charity shop,
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

I use methylated spirits and water. About 1:5.
Works perfectly and costs very little!
LeFrisp

Post by LeFrisp »

The pink stuff?
Aye thats it. Had a devil of a job with streaks. read teh lable again and it warns against using hard water as may cause streaks, I used Asda bottled and I have no idea what the PH of that is, this could be the problem...
I use methylated spirits and water. About 1:5.
Hmmm got me thinking I have about 10L of isopropanol, which seems to be an active ingredient in the pink stuff. Its an alcohol and evaporates like a demon. Anyone know if diluting it will work?
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

"Anyone know if diluting it will work?"

If I had some, I would try diluting it and get back to you! :wink: :wink:
danchip1
Organisation: Devon
Interests: Doing the right thing
Cooking and eating curry

Post by danchip1 »

hello

i use LION glass and mirror cleaner which comes in an aerosol can and have no complaints.
spray on sparingly and polish with one cloth then buff with another.

The stuff i use as a cloth is white and has loads of tiny perferations in, I reckon its prob some artificial fibre but works a treat. I bought it from an industrial cleaning supplies outlet
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

I use the Lion pink stuff and have no problems. I dilute it with pH neutral spring water (it's all we have) and it works brilliantly with paper towels.

I could imagine that really hard water might dry streaky. Want to buy some bottles of Welsh spring water?
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
LeFrisp

Post by LeFrisp »

Im just popping out to stock up with some essential supplies Bread milk Cheese and Wine and whisky
I will add 2 L of deionised water and a new sprayer and try both the pink stuff and the isopropanol diluted and see which works the best.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I use the pink stuff diluetd with de ionised water, absolutely fine. I use one duster to apply and clean the glass, a second to polish the glass, and a microfibre to give a final polish. It is the longest part of the assembly process, and a real pain at times.

Dave
markw

Post by markw »

Microfibre cloth - very little cleaning fluid. The microfibre cloths I have at the moment are so good that plain water will work. Regular washing of the cloths to keep them clean - and a bit of elbow grease. I also find that cleaning glass on a ribbed rubber mat stops the glass slipping and allows you to put a bit more effort into the process. I have found over the years that you occasionally get bad batches of glass and it can be a real pig to clean whatever techniques, cleaners or effort you apply.
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Post by guzzijim »

LeFrisp wrote:Im just popping out to stock up with some essential supplies Bread milk Cheese and Wine and whisky
The Whisky should solve your problem; just make sure you have enough! My local brew is Bladnoch, the distillery was closed may years ago but was bought by a wealthy whiskey enthusiast from Ireland, and they’ve just started bottling the 8 year old.

Jim
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

Jim, you must be a scottish heathen to use whiskey to clean glass with?

Water even thins it toooo much,

Ian
LeFrisp

Post by LeFrisp »

Jim, you must be a scottish heathen to use whiskey to clean glass with?
OCHT Ian :shock:
You should never drink whisky without water,,, nor water without whisky......
There is only one glass that is going to see whisky and it not flat and 2mm thick I can tell you ... :giggle:
Tonight I shall inhale some Bruichladdich Rocks Its 46% and fair clears yer sinus's....
Wish me luck
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

One of the best and simplest tips I ever got from TFG was my glass cleaninng surface - a piece of 4x3ft 3mm MDF covered with ines of domed clear frame bumpers.

It's best to paint the MDF black and also to glue the bumpers on as they come off too easy otherwise, I use lines of wood glue 3" APART and put the bumpers about 3" apart on each line - staggered. I have one corner where the bumpers are closer together, for smaller peices of glass. It doesn't move at all when you clean it and it's kept well away from the surface and therefore is very flumb friendly, or should I say - unfriendly.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I solved this problem long ago!

1. DON'T BUY GLASS WHICH IS MADE IN CHINA. (Made in China = Junk). You get what you pay for!

2. Most glass cleaners are usually not at their best in cold environments. The perfomance of most chemical cleaners can be affected by temperature, humidity, or pressure.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

"DON'T BUY GLASS WHICH IS MADE IN CHINA." how can I tell?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It's easy - you can see right through it.
guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

Ha ! and there was me thinking you might need squinty eyes to see through it, I was going to substitute ‘squinty’ for another word more suited to far eastern eyes, but Phil the Greek came unstuck using that word.

In truth how would you know if it was of Chinese origin.