locked forums

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

locked forums

Post by markw »

John - you have left forums to fester for much longer than the H & S posting. It’s an important subject and should be aired. Dermot has a valuable contribution to make - and I am sure that he's big enough to fight his corner. if you lock every thread that turns a bit heavy then you will end up with a fairly bland forum with little reason to post. I respect Dermot’s views and threads such as this give us all a chance to reflect on the implications of living and working in a litigious society - we won’t all agree and part of the enjoyment of any forum are the slightly snotty comments that surface occasionally. If you don’t like a posting because of its content then use your right as mediator to remove the posting – don’t lock the thread.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Just giving some of the participants a little breather, we don't want any of our members to embarass themselves by saying something that they might regret.
markw

Post by markw »

its a forum - if you stop people posting their views you are censoring. As moderator you should try and restrict such things as racist language - cursing etc - not outbursts from individuals who may embarass themselves. You can always send them an email if your concerned and leave the less sensitive forum members to get on with an interesting topic.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

It’s OK Mark….you are correct I'm quite good at fighting my own corner…..(it was one of the reasons I got that job years ago managing a 1000 people…….some jobs just need someone with a bit of a tough attitude to the job)…….my experience of forums like this one is that they work better if people butt out and let them just run their natural course….of course the moderator should consider bad behaviour ……..but to start deciding that we might say some thing that could cause difficulty before it is said ……..sparks of censorship………I have better things to do with my time than accept that sort of attitude…..

I would have serious reservations about a forum that would lock a thread on such a serious issue as Health and Safety…….on the subject of Health and Safety over the years I have found that the only way to get the message across is with some strong suggestions and sometimes with the use of very strong verbal language some people can be a bit slow in getting the point about safety……some people just don’t get it that Health and Safety is about peoples life’s…..and it is not a subject you can compromise on……start compromising and where do you stop……I have never embarrassed myself with the tough attitude I have taken to Health and Safety

Regarding the H&S thread it was taking the typical course that I have experienced over the years on this subject……ridicule the messenger or try to suggest that there is an alternative motive …….there is no new trend in what is been said on H&S tread I have heard it all over the years …………….some people simple will not engage this subject……I wonder why……

I will say that I’ am embarrassed that a thread was locked on this forum…….I had felt that this forum had great potential but if threads are going to be locked because someone might embarrasses themselves …..in my view it is the kiss of death to the whole concept of the forum….
markw

Post by markw »

Dermot
Couldnt agree more - I will almost invariably post with the intention of starting a debate. H & S is part of all our businesses and we need to explore the attitudes and experiences of other framers. To be honest< I thought that I had a satisfactory working policy in place to ensure that my customers wouldnt be harmed by any frame made by me. I shall be modifying my thoughts in regard to acrylic and will now ask customers if this material needs to be used under certain circumstances.

I doubt that it would have helped the customer who recently took home her framed work - placed it face up on her bed whilst she banged a nail in the wall, then sat on the frame. I'm not going to try and predict stupidity and my policy depends upon a degree of common sense to be shown by my customers. :roll:
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

What a pair!

Running off at the mouth without pausing to consider.

Perhaps you didn't see the two offencive and inflammatory posts which were deleted. Since neither of you have made any reference to them, I will assume that you didn't, but surely anyone with any wit, looking at how this forum has been handled to date, would be able to work out for themselves that the moderator would hardly have locked a thread without a compelling reason.

I really don't know what you are bleating about Dermot, since as far as I saw, none of your posts were deleted, you were allowed to have the last say, and it was your attacker's post that was removed.

Censorship! What tosh! If you enjoy the level of combative debate where stupid and deeply offencive insults are hurled, you should have no trouble finding it, there's plenty of that out there on the Internet.

By all means let's have arguments, but let's keep it civil.
FN
markw

Post by markw »

FN Running off at the mouth! Insults - I missed both - I rarely tap away at the keyboard without considering my words carefully. I always try and raise subjects that have some relevance to the way I work / how life in general affects my business.

I didn’t see the nasty posts; I would have been amongst the first to have condemned pointless criticism. – But moderating them would have sufficed. – editing text and leaving the posting properly moderated would have been better. A nasty posting moderated can be very informative of the postee - all that happened with this forum subject is that an interesting thread got killed dead - just when it was starting to move.
sarah

Post by sarah »

Ok.

Forums by their very definition are an arena for people to make their opinions known. I belong a number of forums, from framing to ice hockey. I do not see a problem with a moderator, who by the way has a responsibility for the behaviour on the forum, locking a thread. This may be because it is getting offensive or personal, or quite simply because all the points needing to be made have been!

Several involved in the thread that was locked had begun to argue themselves round in circles.

As for the moderator censoring a thread or even locking it - well no one ever said that this forum was a democracy.

For Norah - wind your neck in lady or you might face harsher censoring and be banned! Stop winding the gents up!
markw

Post by markw »

Sarah - Calm down, Its only a forum.

You have to remember a forum is just a web site with no one visiting if you have no members. A thread that goes around in circles soon disapears up it own :shock: and a moderator is their to moderate not lock. I cant recall ever seeing a subject locked on any other forum - plenty of text edited. The subject is important and had a long way to go. :wink:
sarah

Post by sarah »

I'm perfectly calm. I just don't think some understand the resposibilities of a moderator.

The thread that we have been discussing was indeed an interesting one, and i posted my opinion on the matter. However, i am quite happy to have it locked as it could have quickly become a ranting thread with people going over old ground in different ways.

My advice - get over it! The moderator has a job to do and if other threads get out of hand or boring I am sure they will lock those too, so maybe it would be an idea to get used to it and stop screaming about censorship and freedom of speech - as I said this isn't a democracy. :twisted:
markw

Post by markw »

Sarah - If its not a democracy - what is it?

many forums share the responsibility for moderating.
:idea:
sarah

Post by sarah »

Mark surely you realise by now that we are posting in a dictatorship albeit benign.

As for sharing responsibility - how many moderators are needed to keep all 6(ish) of the active posters in check.
markw

Post by markw »

You make a good point in saying that I am wasting my time. Your stuffed if the other five come to the same conclusion.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Calm down calm down ……………ALL……right now………………I can’t believe I’m saying this :roll: ….. me of all people :roll: ……this whole thing is getting out of hand :( ………

This is the very reason that there should be virtually no moderation on a forum…….

Look what is happened (I did not see the divisive posts) the very thing that those on these forums who get nasty wanted to happen has happened…….they have those of us who want to expand and explorer a topic fighting with each other rather than focusing on the subject that originally started the topic…..

Truth is that if the nasty post were left on the tread it would show those posters in their true light and it would allow us to make a more informed analyses of what they have to say now…..and in the further …..after all it can take a while to get the true measure of people on a forum like this….

Now if anyone has an opinion of me that they feel might offend on this forum you can email me at Dermot@matting-systems.com and I will give it my due consideration…..most likely not much consideration but I will take it on board if it is relevant …….I’m a big lad and well able to take care of myself…..

NOW EVERYONE…………. say123 ……….. and…… take deeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breaths and relax…..

My best to all…….who care
sarah

Post by sarah »

This forum is the best resource any framer could have. A group of passionate and dedicated individuals who want to see the framing and art trade recognised as a profession with standards.

However, if things are allowed to get out of hand their can be fallings out with people who are vital to the expert knowledge displayed on this little board. In addition to that their can be legal proceedings. I have witnessed legal wranglings on other forums resulting in the forum moderators and admin being sued, even though they were not the individuals who were involved in the debate. The argument being they were the people responsible for the decorum and ettiquette(sp?) Which sort of brings us back to the glass/plastic debate and who is responsible. But we will leave that for another thread. :wink:

My stance is that for our own safety, if nothing else we need to be moderated. But I appreciated that others don't agree and I welcome the debate.
markw

Post by markw »

All posts are the opinion of the individual and the moderator can quite happily sit back and moderate the language - defamatory comments that could cause offence should be edited. debate - if its worth the effort almost always gets heated..

I dont post just to be part of an advisory panel - I like to debate subjects that have relavance to my business as a framer.

Sarah - you mention personal experience of moderators being sued - by whom - for what? I keep in touch with the IT world via The Register - they tend to pick up on things like this - I cant recall seeing forum moderators being sued - if you like debate you have to take the rough with the smooth - if we are nice to each other and only agree - then its not a debate.

You have 165 listed members - and many that arent listed but who often view - you will only draw them in if the forum is lively and interesting. Just look at the viewing numbers for the last few posts - the members like a good friendly disagreement. They voted by looking.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Post by SquareFrames »

And I missed all this!!!! Must have been juicy!!!!
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

WOW!! Courtesy of B.T. I have not had a connection for the past month.
So I missed it all as well..

Took me a long time to read all the new postings .

Intesting thread on the H & S as well.. Pity that now I cannot put my pennyworth in with an Hotel choosing glass over Acrylic.. Then paid a fortune in damages...

Ladies and Gentlemen. Let us keep this forum going and be CONSTRUCTIVE please not DESTRUCTIVE.

As you see I am back and will start posting again.
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

Good to have you back Merlin - I wondered where you were!