World record learning curve?

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

World record learning curve?

Post by Trinity »

I did my first paying frame job approx 2 weeks ago and laugh at myself looking back - 7 hours! Man I did everything other than frame - did a bit, clean the morso, measure 6 times, cut not once, have a cup of tea. Move closer to the underpinner, read the manual. Get out 4 or 5 lengths of moulding ("you decide" was the instruction). Moulding to long / morso to close to the wall. Dinner - you look tired says dear wife, using terminology more used after romantic gymnastics.. Have you done it? Fully fed, an abnormal 1 1/4 hour stop for lunch. Right this is it. Is it frame first or glass then frame - frame, as I've never cut glass though broken quite a bit. Right this is it. Pin up Roboframers instructions on how to use a morso from an old thread. Do it right - 1/4 hr to encapsulate it, no easier to read but boy does it look smart.This is it. Walk away from the morso. Cut the mount on the Wizard -piece of cake that bit, things going well. Back to the morso.Chomp, back off move - ah the height adjusters seemed to jam. Dry chain lube did the trick. 4 perfect cuts. Hey, not so bad, your due a coffee.....Have you done it yet? etc. Back to work. Right the underpinner. a bit of fathoming here, pigeon itallio english but fortunately similar to me having to decipher what my wife really means rather than what she said. So, program enter program enter program enter foot pedal - bugger! That was my finger! Right this is it. And that chaps was when the fight started! Not really. Everything went together. Perfect. The hinged mount fitted the frame. The glass cut perfect, the brand new Toyo curving gracefully in the air with the skill of a surgeon's scalpel. It too fitted. Fit all components together but didn't pin or tape, just picked it all up to show the bemused wife. Have you... Teatime. Rushed it. Back to bench. Fletcher it to death. Tape up. 7 HOURS. A WORLD RECORD?
PS Things get better. 2nd and subsequent about 1 hour. The moral of the story? Stupid sod.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: World record learning curve?

Post by Merlin »

Impressive !!!!!!

Now you are bringing back memories....
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

LOL - great post!

It took me approximately 3 years to work out how my Morso scale worked - I thought someone must have stuck an imperial scale or something weird on the bit that slides - it said 1, 2, 3 etc, but whatever they were, they weren't friggin' centimetres!

So I ignored them, and what I did was measure the glass, punch that in to a calculator, press 'M+' - measure the back of the moulding (using a tape measure; not the vertical scale on the Morso - no idea what that was all about) punch that in to the calculator times it by two, press + then MRC, then = and then whatever that came to I'd set the zero on the sliding scale to that figure on the fixed scale, plus a bit for luck.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

LOL indeed, Trinity! :lol:

:clap:

Brought me straight back to the trepidation I experienced when making my first frame without a safety net! :D
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.