Cassese Underpinners

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
evanstheframe

Cassese Underpinners

Post by evanstheframe »

Hi All,
Sorry not been around much. 1 Computer gave up the ghost and 2 been in hospital. Never mind back now and picking your brains again.
Q. How much of a difference is there in the Cassese 79 to the Cassese 88?
Please dont post an answer of 9 as thats the first answer that came into my wifes head. I have read up on the 88 as I have a 79. The 79 is classed as a hobby or starter machine. I want to work my way up in respect of equipment. As you may remember I am disabled and work from home (well from a cabin in the garden). This will be it as far as expansion goes. However, I am doing well and want to give the customer the best results I can get. Thanks to your help and advice in the past and my bench designer Stephen LOL, I now have a Morso and Keencut Ultimat Gold. I was just wondering if its worth the step up to a Cassese 88 or just carry on with my 79? The main problem I find with the 79 is spoon type mouldings as the mouldings tend to move slightly if the top press rests unevenly on the raised surface of the mouldings which can result in the pressure causing the moulding to rock when being pinned if that makes sense. Any advice on this subject is more than welcome.

p.s Glad to be back nagging again.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I don't have any experience with either of the machines you mention, but could you consider stretching to a CS89? This pneumatic model would probably cure your problem as it clamps the moulding securely before inserting the wedge.

Welcome back to the forum Lyn
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

We use the CS88 and are quite impressed with it. The only failing has been the steel wire between the foot pedal and the moving head. It has 'birdcaged' where it goes over the roller.

It is supplied with three types of 'foot' that presses down on the moulding. For spoon or reverse spoon mouldings I have to admit that we have used an eraser (bog standard rubber) between the head and the moulding. Works extremely well.
John GCF
evanstheframe

Post by evanstheframe »

Thank you for your replies. I see the CS88 has a clamp that holds the mouldings under the rebate. Thought this might have helped me with the problem with the spoon mouldings. However, I see from the reply that Merlin seem to have the same problem when using this kind of moulding using a CS88. By the way Merlin, keep it to yourself but I also use a rubber to try and get over this.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

I have a CS88 and have fitted it with a Lion magnetic felt head

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/index.php?sess ... ductid=316

It's even better than it looks and solves just about all the problems of applying pressure in the right place. Well worth the money.

Mike
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Thanks for the tip Mike.

Welcome to the forum.
evanstheframe

Post by evanstheframe »

Yes. Thanks for that Mike. Will order one today and see how I get on. Its cheaper than a CS88 LOL
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

evanstheframe wrote:Yes. Thanks for that Mike. Will order one today and see how I get on. Its cheaper than a CS88 LOL
Do let us know how you get on with it.

Mike
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Mike and Taff(?)
We too use that magnetic foot from LIONS. It is very good, although I would like to see one that is slightly longer on the L length and slightly wider.

The felt can be a bit of a pain if you get any PVA glue on it and do not notice. It will dry rock hard and when you try to get it off it takes felt with it. One way round that we have found, is to use the white (small square) frame bumpers; again from LIONS; if they get glue on them they just peel off easily and you replace with another set. Cheaper as well.
John GCF
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Merlin Framers wrote:One way round that we have found, is to use the white (small square) frame bumpers; again from LIONS; if they get glue on them they just peel off easily and you replace with another set. Cheaper as well.
A good idea. I've got some of those and will try using them tomorrow.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
JonC

Post by JonC »

We use The Cass underpinner
the best tip for keeping the pressure even on the top of deep spoon mouldings when firing the wedge is to make a small chev in reverse from the same moulding,
ie put the rebate to the outside of the chev frame corner. If you put a small piece of felt over the mould to be pinned and lay the reverse chev on the top face down it will fit the deep spoon exactly. This givving a flat surface to the top (the underside of the temp chev) for the top hammer to hit.
Hope this helps
Johnc
norymags
Organisation: Picture This Framers
Interests: Photography and Motor-homing.

Post by norymags »

Well what a bagfull of opinions. I purchased a Cassesse CS88 last March after 10 years of an old faithfull underpinner I paid £100 for and sold on for £50 and logically thinking a new CS 88 would be better.
What a dissapointment that was, at nearly £900 I thought this will be well worth the money and guess what it wasn`t, I sometimes wish I still had my old one as this new shiny one has been ,well not worth the money and very difficult to get used to. The difference when buying a new machine and the old one is you always think yes this is progress and sometimes it is but in this case I would be more then happy to have my old one back. The problems are the machine is of poor quality in what it does, it sticks, it breaks parts ,the foot pedal is wobbly, and the entire underpinner has to be encased with wood support to enable large mouldings to be supported. I for one have been conned into reading how well this machine functions and quite frankly it never has, so "evans the frame" find a comfort in the one you already have and dont look any further...Norrie
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Norrie. Sorry to hear that you are not happy with your CS88. We had ours for some 4 years and apart from the problems listed above have been extremely happy with it. It has been a very good workhorse, doing on average 10 frames a day.
I admit, what has helped us is that the machine is built into a corner unit, so is fully supported. Yes the pedal wobbles, but it still works.
Having said that we have just upgraded to a pneumatic underpinner, but will not be getting rid of the CS88 - just in case.
John GCF